cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

KendroMagoo
Adept I

RX 480 Stuttering/Performance

So this could very well just be my PC/Graphics card isn't up to what I'm doing. I've had constant stuttering/low FPS in some games I've played on even the lowest of graphics settings. The befuddling part is it doesnt appear my video card is capping out on its memory. Been trying to play ARPG's basically. POE, Last Epoch, Warhammer Inquisitor and all 3 have pretty similar issues. 

Another confusing part is if I go into Radeon software its telling me I'm getting 90 FPS in Warhammer, 55 in Last Epoch which doesn't "feel" right. 

So Win10, Intel Core I5 - 3.5Ghz,16 gigs of ram, RX 480.  Anything I can do,over looking something? Or to be expected with my hardware? 

Thanks

0 Likes
3 Replies
amdman
Challenger

Another user had posted try running OCCT Graphics test and see what temperatures you get, you could be thermal throttling. Also make sure you have the minimum or above power supply recommendations for your card manufacturer. Also you can try to run sfc /scannow to check Windows corruption or try other Windows troubleshooting to see if that is the problem. It's possible that something is wrong with your DirectX and or Visual C redistributables, reinstall those. Use the AMDCleanupUtility or DDU and then reinstall the AMD drivers, and try older ones. Try the card in another PC and see if it has the same problem, some cards can perform bad if the VRM or memory is starting to fail, although usually that will show as visual artifacts. Good luck!

Sorry for slow response. I was so annoyed I've avoided games that take any kind of graphical power for a couple months.  Gave Lost Ark a go and getting the same issues even though the game auto detects at Very High and Can you run it says I exceed recommended settings. . So today reformatted. Took pc apart, put it back together bla bla ect ect. Kind of at a loss. Ran the OCC, it didn't detect any errors and my CPU didn't seem to have any Temp  problems. My GPU hit 85 during OCC. That an issue?   Sadly don't have another PC or Video card for a quick check.  Tried all kinds of things. 

0 Likes

That means your GPU may be thermal throttling, use HWInfo64 or other program to monitor all the temperatures on the card. If you see the Mhz on your card dropping and performance is slowing when it gets to 85, then you may need to check that the fan is spinning like it should, or the advanced fix is carefully remove the heat sink and re thermal pad (make sure to get exact same size pads or the card may be damaged when the GPU core doesn't get good contact and gets thermal damage) and thermal paste the card, but be very careful or have an expert do it. I hope you can find a fix.

Here is an excellent list for troubleshooting by @ThreeDee:

Make sure your motherboards BIOS is up to date

Make sure you have the latest AM4 Chipset drivers installed from AMD.com

Make sure you are running separate power cables to each power input on your GPU

Make sure you have latest GPU drivers installed from AMD.com

Make sure your Windows install is up to date

What speed is your system RAM running at? (Task Manager>Performance>Memory)

IF your RAM is running faster than 3200 speeds .. is your fclk (infinity fabric) set to 1:1?

Make sure Surface Format Optimization is unchecked in Radeon settings .. you might want to play with other settings in your Radeon settings as well

Are you overclocking anything?

How are your CPU/GPU temps?

How is the airflow in your case? You have to keep your VRM's and memory cool too

What case?

What motherboard? BIOS up to date?

How is the air flow in your case?

How are you cooling your CPU?

Are you running any modded PSU cables? .. PCIe Riser cable?