cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Madsen03
Adept I

RX 480 No Signal on new setup - Motherboard incompatibility? At a loss.

Hi all, this is a bit of a mind**bleep** for me at this point so please bear with me, I want to try to go through as much of the troubleshooting I've done as possible to avoid wasting anyone's time.

I was using an FX4300, Asrock 760gm-hdv, 8gb ddr3, rx480 8gb (SKU 21260-00) setup but decided to upgrade and picked up:
- Intel i5 10400f
- Gigabyte H410m S2H (later replaced by an ASUS Prime H410M-E; I'll get to that)
- G.skill aegis 2x8gb ddr4 @3000mhz

I slapped my old parts into another pc with a 560ti and installed the new ones with my rx480.
Attempting to boot the new setup with the RX480 gave me no display signal - at that point I tried to slot in an old HD 4550 into the new build and everything worked flawlessly. I then try to boot new build with the 560ti - everything works fine again. So it's not the hdmi cable, it's not the pcie slot on the new mobo.

Worried that my 480 is dead, I plug it into the old setup with the fx4300 and... it works fine. The PSUs are 500 and 600w for the old and new setups respectively and both have run the 480 no questions asked, so neither of them are dead or insufficient. Have tried all possible configurations of the RAM as well, no change, and the RAM does work when I boot with other cards.

I tried updating the bios for the new motherboard to the new version - no dice. Same with fiddling with bios settings - CSM on or off, above 4g encoding, just about every setting that makes any mention of UEFI or Legacy I try either way, etc. - once again, no luck. No signal when I use the RX480 with the new build, but it works fine with both the 560TI and the 4550.

To be clear, the 480s fan does spin up with the new build (and yes lol I'm plugging in the 6pin), I just get no display with it specifically. I booted with the 4550 and used DDU to clear previous drivers, I've reset the CMOS twice now, still no display from the 480 and only the 480 in the new setup. Will also mention that I'm almost certain the system is booting, to Windows, as I've found that in the first couple of seconds when I boot the system with the RX480 I only need to press the power button once to shut it down (as per the BIOS setting), but when I let it go for a minute (ie, when I give it enough time to get to Windows) I need to hold down the power button.

At this stage I return the Gigabyte motherboard and grab an ASUS one - exact same situation. No signal from the 480, works completely fine with the other 2 cards.

What's the chances that my 480 just doesn't play well with the BIOS' on these new motherboards? I'm seriously confounded, as searching up the SKU of the card gave me the knowledge that it's a UEFI card, but it works just fine on the AM3+ socket motherboard, but not on the LGA1200 ones.

I'm approaching wit's end here and am contemplating just shelving the RX 480 and trying to sell it while the GPU situation is as crazy as it is and using the 10400f system with a 560 Ti (ugh...).

Would really really appreciate any advice.
Cheers

0 Likes
10 Replies