cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

balustellar
Adept I
Adept I

RX 480 makes PC Freeze! (Most common issue)

Hello! I have seen this kind of problem for everyone out there who owns RX 480. When I am gaming or doing some graphics intensive works, after a few minutes, the whole PC gets weird Grey/Green/Black screens and gets hard freeze! I have to force reboot my PC. I'm a new consumer for this card, purchased an 'ASUS STRIX RX 480 8GB'. I have tried working with the very old Driver (16.20) which came along with the Graphics Card CD, and I found it's okay, not freezing like in the latest drivers (experienced both in 16.12.2 and 17.1.1). So, it is of course maybe the driver issue. I've also tried playing with the Driver's 'Global WattMan' settings a lot but, didn't help at all. I mostly observed this issue when playing on Ultra Settings and when temperatures are around 78-85 degrees Celsius. I'm kind of disappointed as this is my first ever Graphics Card. But, I know you can fix-off the issues anyway.

There are also some YouTube videos - MSI RX-480 Gaming X 8G Freezes on every game - YouTube; XFX RS RX480 Crash (Unigine Heaven 4.0 Benchmark) - YouTube

I really really request you to kindly fix this issue in the next Driver Update. Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
balustellar
Adept I
Adept I

Re: RX 480 makes PC Freeze! (Most common issue)

No one?

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Ultra settings are too high for that card in most games. Lower it to High and try again. Also read about the Power Limit setting ..it should be +50 > AMD graphics performance

0 Kudos
balustellar
Adept I
Adept I

Thank you for the reply. I have also set the Power Limit to '50' but didn't help. Infact, doing this option makes my PC to freeze faster (In Games).

0 Kudos
ssupreme
Adept I
Adept I

I had same thing, I have gigabyte windforce rx480g8, I spent 3 days figuring out what is wrong. For some reason card crush PC when temp gets to 75C(167F) (in my case) obviously it is way below normal working limits.

I set GPU frequency to Dynamic, Fan Speed automatic, Temperature max 73 target 70 and power limit up all the way. 4 days it is stable. I get on average from continues 100% load around 1055Mhz, instead of 1260.

I think that it could be problem with thermal grease or probably heat sick poorly attached, or temp sensor is far from GPU cores, I would not check it as it would void warranty. In my country I cannot return it in within 14 days, one way is to use warranty.

dakrimage
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

incredible:

same vga and vendor, same problem (>75°C), same solution max 74°C target 69°C

0 Kudos