cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

chanuka
Journeyman III

rx 480 low fps and stutter in all games

Hello i just got a sapphire rx480 today and it it running very slowly games like farcry 4 need to be at the lowest settings just to maintain 60fps. The card runs at 100% usage and spikes down causing stuttering. Is there anyway to fix it or did i get a defective card? I have clean wiped the old drivers and installed the latest ones. My cpu is a fx 8350.

0 Likes
17 Replies
amdpete
Staff
Staff

Re: rx 480 low fps and stutter in all games

Farcry 4 seems OK to me with my RX 480, I get 64fps with ultra ingame settings (vsync off) at 2560 x 1440 resolution.  Intel i7 6700 on Windows 10 X64.  On low game settings it is 90ish FPS at the same resolution.

Please post your system specs.  Your system and GPU are at the default clocks?

0 Likes
brunosp
Adept III

a power supply? do a clean install of windows

0 Likes
kwyn
Journeyman III

Having a similar problem with the following specs:

GPU: Rx 480 8gb vram

CPU: i5 3570k

Motherboard: z77-d3h

RAM: Corsair vengence (3 x 4GB)

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 GPU Drivers: Latest (Used DDU to remove and clean installed, twice) 16.7.2

PSU: CX600

Background Applications: Steam/TS

So I've also recently got the card and I'm having similar problems. I'm experience random FPS drops across most* games.

https://s31.postimg.org/x6smbhugr/gcard.png  - On average, the card holds out on ultimate settings at around 130~ fps on Overwatch. Every 10 seconds or so it would drop randomly - sometimes to as low as 40fps causing stuttering. The activity on wattman also shows as reducing when this happens.

*Witcher 3 drops to 30~ on occasion also, otherwise 60 fps+. Sometimes even Rocket League dips into the 40's. Games likes FFXIV seem to stay stable at around 60+, however.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

0 Likes
chanuka
Journeyman III

Try downloading msi afterburner and in the settings turn on the enable unified GPU usage monitoring that gave me a much more accurate usage reading as the readings on wattman would spike up and down.

0 Likes
chanuka
Journeyman III

My psu is a CX750M. Turning on compatibility mode really helped my gpu for whatever reason and now i believe it is being bottlenecked by something else.

0 Likes
chanuka
Journeyman III

I have

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CPU : Fx 8350 overclocked to 4.5Ghz With cm Hyper 212 Evo Cooler (Stays under 56 Celcius under load)

HDD: WD Blue 1tb

Mobo: 990fxa ud3 rev 4

the gpu is at stock clocks

0 Likes
spriggan43
Adept I

supply your, dxdiag file so we can check your system setup.

0 Likes
ilikepie26
Journeyman III

I'm having the same problem but my cpu is an intel i7-4770. any advise?

0 Likes
conqueror
Adept II

I have the same spec but i5 CPU and Windows 7 ultimate x64

I also play FC4 1080 ultra+smaa, it runs like a charm. 60fps+

Sapphire RX480 too

Probabely there's no difference between PCs mine and yours, i think it could be your windows system or AMD settings if you changed something you don't need to.

0 Likes