cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

EduardHasIssues
Journeyman III

RX 480 Issues

So I bought an used pc. The graphics card has some problems. This is what it's showing me : 

EduardHasIssues_0-1657385794432.jpeg

Most probably got scammed

0 Likes
4 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

Yup, that looks shot!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
tolcheen
Adept II

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps? Here are some things to try:

-First, confirm it is the PC or Monitor. Hook up a different monitor to the PC. Connect the monitor to another PC/Laptop, heck, even an XBOX.
-Use a different cable to connect the monitor to the video card.
-Since it's a desktop, try using the other connectivity options, DVI, VGA, HDMI, and DisplayPort on the PC and monitor.
-Since it's old, have you tried cleaning out the system? Dust causes system temperatures to rise.
-Have you tried running HWMonitor by CPUID ? What is the temps on the Video card GPU and memory?
-If the temps are high, maybe the thermal paste or thermal pads dried out. I don't know if you are skilled enough check or fix that.
-Are you using the montior's native resolution?
-Have you tried purging all old video card drivers, and doing a clean install with the current drivers? Use AMD's FACTORY RESET under additional options.

0 Likes

It turned out that the gpu was for mining. I know it's really bad, but I will consider the option of going to his home.

0 Likes

Sorry for your card..

I've posted some while (actually quite a while) that we are seeing lots of problems coming from used RX480/580 as they were really good at mining.

A great miner takes care of the hardware but but the average won't.

There are some videos on youtube saying that its an acceptable risk, but according to those very same videos, they generally buy 10 cards or so and then one or two is busted. Looks just one or two but actually the percentage of failure is 10% to 20%, that's really high specially now when the prices are dropping hard.

But buying used it is what it is. There are lots of gamers that just want to game and forget about temps, dust or even careless overclocking, then they will just make some profit on the used market and move on.

Good luck

The Englishman
0 Likes