Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

ivaj12
Adept I
Adept I

rx 480 freezes while gamming

Hi everyone,

I bought XFX RX 480 RS 8 GB and since the first day that I installed my card has been freezing while gaming. It shows a frozen screen (the color depends on the game) and makes a terrible noise. The only way is to reboot the PC, I can't return to my desktop or run the task manager and is very annoying because you don't know at which moment is going to freeze.

have already done and nothing fix this issue :

*I've already monitored temperatures, W load, RAM and everything is fine. My CPU maximum temperature is 65 degrees.

*Updated latest drivers 16.12.2.

*Updated my motherboard BIOS.

*Updated graphic card BIOS.

*Undervolted my graphic card

*Replaced PSU to a Thermaltake 1200W Though power.

*Restarted Windows from scratch and installed everything as new.

My setup:

AMD FX-8350

MSI 970 GAMMING MOTHERBOARD

WD 1 TB BLACK (2013)

HYPER X DDR3 8GB 1600 MHZ

THERMALTAKE 1200W THOUGH POWER

HELP!!!!

I am almost returning this card but I want to know if somebody knows how to fix this before doing that. I bought it on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KCWZ0DM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: rx 480 freezes while gamming

Have you tried setting the Power Limit to 100% and clicking apply in Wattman?

0 Kudos
ivaj12
Adept I
Adept I

yes, I did. What I did and seems that has been working "for now" is that in the AMD software (16.12.2) It had disabled the "Frame Limiter" and maybe that was causing to force the video card and drain more voltage and cause the frozen screen, so I did this:

*Undervoltage to the last 2 levels to 1050 mV

*Power Limit to +20%

*Enabled the "Frame Limiter" option and configured to 60 FPS (this option it is not in the Wattman Configuration, I don't remember very good but I think it was in the General configuration where you can enable the antialiasing and all that stuff.

I have been playing like 4 days without any frozen screen. I have tested with the Highest VRAM video games like: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Arkham Knight and GTA V and 0 issues. Before this configuration every single day I was having this issue.

It is a shame that because a simple software configuration is causing this type of issues.

0 Kudos
ivaj12
Adept I
Adept I

I will continue testing/playing xD all this week and I will post an update on Friday to prove that this worked.

matzeii
Adept I
Adept I

I am having a similar issue, it freezes while i'm watching videos, but i have played for hours with no problem at all.

My Build:

- MOBO: ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA

- CPU: Phenom II X4 965 3.4 Ghz

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1066 (2x4GB)

-GPU: ASUS RX 470 4GB STRIX

- PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W

I bought it on Amazon, too.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

It's a shame people don't research what graphics settings do.

AMD graphics performance

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Disable hardware acceleration in your browser(s).

0 Kudos
matzeii
Adept I
Adept I

I solved my problem by uninstalling mi pci wirelles card, believe it or not.

Do you have one installed?

0 Kudos
smckelvey13
Adept I
Adept I

The same thing is happening to me. I recently got a brand new system along with an upgraded power color devil red rx480. nothing in watt man will help. any ideas?

0 Kudos