Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

RX 480 fans randomly at 100%

I got the RX480 sapphire a few days ago, and at random times - mainly just browsing - the fan speed go up to 100%, at a temperature of 30-40 degrees.

Once this happens I am not manually able to turn the fan speed back down at all and only a system restart can fix the problem - then it will happen again 5 hours later.

I've tried reinstalling drivers and yet the same exact thing happens so I really have no clue.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Re: RX 480 fans randomly at 100%

have you tried a reset in wattman. Make sure you remove any other tuning software as this plays havoc with wattman in the radon drivers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I'm having the same problem here with a xfx rx 480 black edition.

Can't seen to find a solution.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

first make sure you don't have any kind of tuning software than can tweak graphic cards installed  wattman hates all of them. Install  7.2 drivers. don't bother using AMD driver uninstaller when I use it on my comp wattman  still remembers my original settings when I install another version of crimson drivers

reset wattman and  manually set fan speed at 2600 min target speed 2950 and temps 86c max target temp 70c .set power limit to +15, . had all kinds of crazy readings off wattman. The +15 power limit should help to keep your gpu at max clock.  . wattman will set the fan on full when gpu max temp is reached. hope this helps helps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I have the same issue with Asus Stris RX 470. All the 3rd party software were turned off and it still happened.

I noticed though that usually it happens when I watch a video either from Youtube or my video player.

And when it happens, restart is the only fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I need to uninstall the tuning software, when the problem happens msi afterburner is not even open.

I have tried a lot of configs, but still got the fan problem, it's not a temperature issue because my gpu was at 75º    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

guys any kind of tuning software upsets the wattman software., even if it appears not to be running it can still run in the background or lock settings that wattman uses. On my machine wattman screws up with  ASUS tweak ii, some stuff on al suit, core temp, gpu-z., anything really that looks at temps or voltages. Not saying that's the problem but you should uninstall any programs that could interfere with Wattman. I generally get wattman crashing or weird things happening gpu running at 100% with other tuning software running. Got that first time I put card in until I removed some software.

a rx 480 user, steep learning curve needed. I guess if none of this helps return the card under warranty

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Used DDU and installed the drivers again, but now i uninstalled radeonpro and msi, let's see if my fans will go crazy again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

don't trust the numbers on fan speed setting. set the min until it reads 2950 rpm the current speed indicator. set  the target speed to the same number under the min setting then lower the min to 2000rpm will give you a scale of 2000-2950rpm. 2000rpm will keep the voltage controllers cool while making hardly any noise. my case fans are louder at that speed. I brought the max temp down to 86c and target temp to 75c and +15

on power limit try these setting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

don't forget to do a reset in wattman before you change the settings

0 Kudos