Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

vonchen
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: rx 480 fan going to 100%

Hi,Thanks for the reply.

I am trying not to use afterburner now. It seems eliminate the unreasonable Fan speed 100% issue. (Although I will not call it as a fix)

I am just not very sure for now. If this is really a only software conflict issue , I will report this to AMD again.

Early I reported a possible issue scenario to AMD but not mention the software conflict may be the source of the problem.

0 Kudos
vlusion
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Same problem with Asus RX 480 OC

0 Kudos
derrickgott007
Miniboss
Miniboss

I have 2 XFX RX 480's, both with backplates, both Black edition Ref Editon....

I never get random fan speed increases.

tihi85
Adept I
Adept I

I am using MSI Afterburner and Speedfan, have no issues as long as I dont mess with Video settings in additional driver options. As soon as I put sharpness or mess with colors fan gets bugged at 100% when I was watching a video either in browser or video player.

0 Kudos
derrickgott007
Miniboss
Miniboss

Are you running MSI afterburner?

0 Kudos
derrickgott007
Miniboss
Miniboss

Then the problem has to stem from MSI afterburner.  Everyone here having the problem has the same common denomenator....MSI Afterburner.   I DON'T use MSI afterburner and I DON'T have that problem.

vonchen
Miniboss
Miniboss

Hi

Basically in my case, it only happens on playing video(dxva enable)+afterburner, never have issue if I only play game+afterburner.

And this issue seems only on RX400's and the new Fan spin design.

At least I have HD7850 till 1 month ago it died, and never heard or have this kind issue.

0 Kudos
zmaster92
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

cheak your GPU load

0 Kudos
catchabreak
Challenger
Challenger

Wattman does not play nice with other gpu  tweaking  software. Just screws up its settings. Twice I had it running at 100% all the time and that was down to gpu tweak and msi afterburner . The card manufactures want to sell cards as quiet at they can get them . My ref XFX RX480 is set to a max of 2000 rpm. there is no way that fan speed can keep my Gpu from over heating to 90C and this sets the fan on full. Mine is now set to 3200 and keeps the card in low 80`s every one should alter there fan speeds to a more reasonable speed as I think this is what's causing most people problems. Wattman is a really good piece of software apart from crashing a lot of the time.

0 Kudos
vonchen
Miniboss
Miniboss

It seems will be a fix come for this issue, but it did not included in 16.9.1 since I still have this issue on my RX460.

Still waiting for new driver.

This post was answered at 9/2 before 16.9.1 released at 9/8.

Reference rx 480 fan issue, the card will randomly ramp up to 5000 rpm (sounding like a leafblower),...