Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

francy1601
Adept I
Adept I

Rx 480 crash.

My xfx gtr rx 480 8gb crashes under stress. The clock is standart and the temperatures are 65-70°. My PSU is a cooler master G700 (80 plus bronze). Many people have the same problem with custom other brand like : msi, asus, gigabyte.  (sorry for my english)

I link some videos that showing  my problem:     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2Vh9psWKI   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaxJHaR0Gn

0 Kudos
37 Replies
redfury
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: Rx 480 crash.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION  Provide your full system info!

Run HWinfo64>sensors only>Logging start and play for 5-10 min. I want to see that log

sens log.JPG

paradox88
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

i'm having the same issue as described above BUT i'm at work now and can't provide the logs (i'll post the logs in a few hours)

to clarify my rig crashes only in games and it seems to correlate to dips in gpu activity (just a pattern i noticed that might have nothing to do with it).

when stress testing  i left furmark running for a few hours with no overheating and no crashes (gpu activity 100% through out the stress test) but one quick bootup of witcher 3 killed it in minutes.

the Internet has come up with a workaround that worked for me like a charm (somewhat).

power limit set to +50%

custom fan curve to avoid going to 0 RPM - mine is locked at 2000 rpm (g1 gaming card)

the above results in less frequent crashes (once every few hours) as opposed to every 5 minutes  of game play in witcher 3 and every match in heroes of the storm with stock wattman settings.

this was last nights tweak:

for my setup setting gpu frequency to +10% bumped up the stability even more (no crashes last night)

even tho the workaround seems to do the trick it's a workaround and not a proper fix.

Gear:

cpu: AMD fx-8120

mobo: GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1

gold rated 750W PSU from corsair (3 yo) (will come back with exact model number)

gpu: gigabyte g1 gaming rx 480 8gb

insane cooling and airflow throughout the case:

2x200mm fans providing airflow (1 intake + 1 exhaust) + 1x140mm exhaust fan drawing hot air from the d14

noctua D14 on the cpu

case ambiant temerature 45C while stress testing with hyperPI and furmark (the cpu has never seen 65C temperatures in it's life)

notes:

windows event logger is just useless registering a kernel-power outage event (so the restart of the system) and nothing else.

temps are way lower than my previous card (HD 6950) even with uber-stress

bios of both mobo and g-card are latest and at default settings (bios reset was done prior to installing the new card)

memtest on the ram was clean

psu is underloaded (it might be able to handle 2 more rx 480)

cpu is cool and at stock frequencies

drive versions used where 16.12.2 and 17.2.1 with clean install/uninstall under safe-mode windows and normal operations with no stability improvement

TL,DR:

-system crashes in games constantly with default wattman settings

-overclocking dramatically increases stability

-hwinfo64 logs coming in 8 hours

0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss
Big Boss

You can try to downclock your GPU and VRAM (-10%) . It will give us more info about your situation.

0 Kudos
goodplay
Esteemed Contributor III

Have a look in windows reliability monitor/history, you may find more detailed info/other related error.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT,
francy1601
Adept I
Adept I

hello, I tried to lower the voltage and increase the fan speed. Through this it lower temperatures (5-7 °) and the rx 480 crashes only sometimes. I believe the crash is related to the temperature but it isn't vey hight (75° max). How can I send you the log?? (sorry for my english and thank for help) .

custom:custom settings.png

defaultdef.png

0 Kudos
francy1601
Adept I
Adept I

• AMD Graphics Card
    • xfx rx 480 gtr 8gb
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • 1Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 1

• Motherboard
    • Msi b150m bazooka

• CPU/APU
    • i3 6100
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • cooler master G700w
  • RAM
    • 4x2gb ddr4 2144mhz
0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss
Big Boss

1.Update BIOS

2.Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5 or 17.2.1 driver Windows 10 (64-bitTry 16.11.5 first!!!

3.I suggested you to lower GPU and VRAM frequencies(-10%), not voltage. Leave voltage at default settings and increase power limit to +50

4.Do not use MSI Afterburner or any other tweaking software with ReLive driver.

5.You can attach log>use advanced editor>attach file(in right bottom corner of reply field)

0 Kudos
francy1601
Adept I
Adept I

with default settings while I play overwatch. The game crash after 5-10 minutes. If I lock the fps at 60 the game don't crash. I have alredy update the bios. I tried use DDU for reintsall the driver.

redfury
Big Boss
Big Boss

1.You need quite a bad +12V. You need to try another HQ powerful PSU. Maybe it resolve your crashes.

2.You need to downclock GPU RAM to  1700-1800MHz. It has errors.

3. About 60 fps lock. It is obvious that your PC cannot handle high load.

0 Kudos