Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

tcortinag
Adept I
Adept I

RX 480 Bad Performance, used to be great

Hello, I have an issue with my RX 480 (Asus Strix RX 480 8GB OC), it used to have good performance: Doom 90 FPS +, BF 1 80-90 FPS, Far Cry Primal 70 FPS +.

I had to reinstall Windows and I also installed a new RAM stick, after this I got only 50-60 FPS in all games and drops to 10-20.

I have monitored the temps for CPU and GPU and both remain in good level, CPU 60° max and GPU 65° max, memory remains stable for GPU.

I have reinstalled drivers using DDU and the performance keeps low, I don't know what could it be.

Any ideas?

Specs:

Core i5-7400

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400MHZ

SSD for OS

WD HDD Black for games

Seasonic 550w gold PSU

Gigabyte B250-D3H Mobo

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
31 Replies
spinalfailed
Challenger
Challenger

Re: RX 480 Bad Performance, used to be great

What power settings are you using for Windows?  If balanced or power saving try switching to high performance.

0 Kudos
tcortinag
Adept I
Adept I

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but power settings have been in High Performance always.

0 Kudos
spinalfailed
Challenger
Challenger

What OS are you using? 7 or 10?

0 Kudos
tcortinag
Adept I
Adept I

I'm using Win 10 64b.

0 Kudos
gkeawe
Challenger
Challenger

I was looking at your system configuration and noticed that you are running an intel processor. I was thinking that my Radeon RX480 never did run good no matter what I did on my i7-4790K, but on a Ryzen 7 1700 it's another story. I'm thinking if you want to see any sort of performance out of the Radeon RX 480 it better be on a Ryzen CPU. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Also, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro version 1703 build 15063.250 and the RX480 runs great. I bet if I put it back into my intel rig that it would choke like a baby chokes on a hard biscuit.

0 Kudos
tcortinag
Adept I
Adept I

Hi, well the odd thing is that it used to worked great, same config except the 8GB more.

0 Kudos
spinalfailed
Challenger
Challenger

It has absolutely zero to do with running an Intel CPU and the suggestion is asinine.  I'm running an i5 with a 480 and have no issues. There is a software conflict somewhere that is effecting OP.  tcortinag​ what processes are running at startup? Do you have AV software running besides defender?

kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

I would suggest disabling/deleting any third party graphics controls...Afterburner/MSI/Trixx/Asus/etc. They conflict with the new ReLive controls.

As to your question, look to your Power Limit > AMD graphics performance

0 Kudos
gkeawe
Challenger
Challenger

The suggestion is NOT asinine, you obviously have no idea the alliances that exist between hardware manufacturers and software engineers, programmers etc.. My observations are based on my own experiences with the Radeon RX480 and NVidia GPU's. The only AV software running is native to Windows. There's a reason why racing games from Codemaster's have an intel and NVidia splash screens, there's an alliance between them and to think otherwise is naïve. So if you have an AMD GPU the optimizations that exist for an intel CPU will have absolutely NO affect on a configuration using an AMD CPU. So don't tell me it has absolutely zero to do with running an intel CPU, now that's just plain naïve.

0 Kudos