Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

redwolf4
Adept I
Adept I

rx 470 loss of signal

So I purchased an XFX Radeon RX 470 RS Black Edition 4GB the other day online, which Arrived yesterday to my very short-lived delight. Almost immediately upon installation, I discover that it refuse to hold a constant signal to the monitor I am using with a hdmi cable. After a number of attempts at fixes through Driver-fu, I am at a loss as to what to do, being not especially tech savvy. I am running a 600w psu, the mobo is a gigabyte ga-z77m-d3h-mvp, with 6gb of ram (would be 8 but one of my stick busted) with a core i5 3570 cpu.

97 Replies
redwolf4
Adept I
Adept I

Re: rx 470 loss of signal

To elaborate, when the fault occurs, the screen will cut to black, then to the tv's no signal place holder.Sound can still be heard, although if from a program it does seem looped, but if from WMP, it appears to play songs as normal. Only a hard reset from holding down the power button can do anything at this point.

klerezooi
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have the same issue. I am also using a XFX Radeon RX 470 RS Black Edition 4GB with a Gigabyte gigabyte z68xp-ud3 Rev 1.3 and an Intel i2500k Running windows 10.

Installed Crimson Edition 16.8.2 Hotfix after running DDU. Had no issue playing Heartstone so far but have the issue playing Witcher 3, Space Engineers and Overwatch in under 5 minutes of game time.

PSU should not be the issue, my old 6950 needed more power and ran just fine.

0 Kudos
bouncingthingy
Adept I
Adept I

I got The same problem, at first i thought it might had been over heating since i got a lot crammed into my case (msi RX480 being freaking huge)

But I been monitoring temps using wattman and last time i got the black screen was at 40ish degrees.  I dont know if its my GPU or the drivers them selves.

P.S. im running windows 10.

0 Kudos
moonstar
Adept II
Adept II

I have this issue too from time to time.  Generally by either 1) swapping input channels or 2) unplugging then plugging back int he HDMI works for me.  I am still trying to determine if it is the cable or the card.  Hopefully one or the other helps.

Other issues I've seen, not sure if you have are a green flickering screen and solid white screen.

0 Kudos
redwolf4
Adept I
Adept I

Dunno what you mean by input channels, but yeah I did try the plug and unplug of the cable. Also I did try using the latest 16.8.2 driver, still nothing. The fault just happens whenever it pleases, tried the card again today and I couldn't even get past boot up. I am REALLY unimpressed with such a catastrophic fault happening immediately on unbox.

0 Kudos
bouncingthingy
Adept I
Adept I

Another thing i noticed is that The black screen happens a lot more often when playing a game.  Played about 30 mins of a low graphics anime mmo

and about 15 mins of tomb raider b4 it happened, yet i watched about 5 hours of videos and nothing so far.

0 Kudos
redwolf4
Adept I
Adept I

So, back again for the bump because I got a new card of the same version and surprise all the same faults are happening. So what the hell amd, what do I do?

0 Kudos
moonstar
Adept II
Adept II

I found doing a clean install of the latest full driver release and then updating to the 16.9 hotfix corrected the issue on my card.  As for inputs I mean HDMI/DVI/VGA option on the monitor.  I use my TV and when I did have the issue I swapped between HDMI 1 *connected to my pc* to HDMI2 and then back.

A few other options would be to check your Anti-Aliasing settings.  If you have them on High, change them to medium.  In CRIMSON if you have AA set to Override, change it to Enhance.

0 Kudos
siliconaudio
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hey guys,

I just joined this forum so that I could jump in on this thread.  I purchased an MSI RX 470 for my PC, as I have recently purchased a 4K monitor and needed more grunt so that I could run it at its native 60 Hz refresh.  I'm not a gamer, I use the screen with my digital audio software, and more screen real estate is useful for audio editing.

I find that my display goes black randomly.  The PC is still running and I can actually even shut it down gracefully by hitting my power button.  So I know the PC isn't actually hung.  I find I need to shut down and restart to get the screen back on.  Un-plugging and re-plugging the screen in doesn't help.

The strange thing is, I taking the card out of the PCIe 16x slot and trying it for a few days in the PCIe 8x slot, and strangely enough, I didn't experience the problem.  I've put it back in my 16x slot and the problem is back.  I don't even have to be doing anything stressful on the PC for it to happen - just seems to come out of the blue.

I'm just about ready to dump this card for an nVidia, but as a long-time AMD user, I'm hoping to find a solution before I have to do that.  So I'll be following this thread with interest to see how this all pans out.

• Motherboard: Asus M5A97 Evo (AMD 970 chipset)
  • CPU: AMD FX 8350
  • RAM: 16 GB SuperTalent DDR3
  • Video Card: MSI RX 470 GAMING X 4G
  • Video Driver: 16.8.2
0 Kudos