cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Request for help to identify a component on an R9 Fury X please.

Hello

I purchased a second hand Powercolor R9 Fury X and a component of the back of the card has blown or was previously modified.
I cannot post pictures of the card at the moment. I cannot teardown the GPU to look to see if there is damage to the other side of the PCB yet.

I would have purchased a new card ... but was unable to. I invested in R9 Nanos / Fijii based cards as RX Vega release was so late.
RX Vega 64 cards are overpriced or > 2 slots high and cannot work with R9 Nanos in Crossfire.

The R9 FuryX card failed within 1 day of use. I had just started testing the card with default clocks, fan speed and power target.
I was running Windows 10 64bit, i7-4790K at default clocks, 32GB Ram, Primary GPU = Powercolor R9 FuryX, Secondary GPU = PowerColor R9 Nano. PSU = Corsair AX1200i. 
I was running Adrenalin 18.3.4. driver and Wattman Fan controls seemed to be working fine.
I tested DisplayPort 1 and 2. I ran 3D Mark  Firestrike and Timespy Demos (not benchmarks), and a few hours of some AAA games.
Card temps seemed fine @ ~60'C during testing.
Card crossfired O.K. with a PowerColor R9 Nano.
I powered the PC down. I connected the third DisplayPort Output to the monitor and I booted up the PC.
The Red Radeon Logo lit up on the R9 Fury X but the Red and Blue tachlights did not power up, the fan did not spin and I got no display output.

Could someone with an R9 Fury X to help me identify the component on the back of an R9 FuryX card and it's function if possible please?

Here is a picture of a teardown of a functional R9 Fury X (not the card I purchased) with the component of interest circled in red named B200.

pastedImage_2.png

I think the card is totally beyond repair. The damage at the red area is bad. Either someone had previously modded the card to temporarily replace a blown component or the component shown had failed due to overuse.

I have already tried opening an AMD Support Case (they cannot help), and contacted PowerColor Support (No response).

However if I could identify the component it might help me work out what happened/ went wrong with the card.

0 Likes
1 Solution

After some effort I managed to repair the Blown R9 Fury X Fan Controller.

The GPU is now running fine.
I disassembled the R9 Fury X completely and cleaned the PCB with Isoproyl Alcohol.

I did not touch or replace the thermal paste on the cooler.
I replaced the blown component with a '0' Ohm surface mount resistor rated to blow if the fan windings short out.
I soldered the connection as follows using a battery powered soldeing iron with a very thin tip and some thin strands of AWG wire.
I used a magnifying glass from a "hobby hands" set to solder the smt resistor to the wire strands  and then connect the wires onto the Lowest  Pad and the red fan lead pin:

Solder Connection:
Lowest "B200" pad ---> '0' ohm surface mount resistor--> Blown "B200" Pad (Red Fan lead pin (Fan "VDD"))

The replacemt surface mount resistor runs horizontally from the lower "B200" pad across to the Red Fan Lead pin on the fan header.
It was to difficult to get a connection to the top Blown "B200" Pad.

I just did the soldering to the surface mount resistor by hand because I was just doing an initial test to see if repair was at all possible.

I will replace with a proper through hole to surface mount pcb to through hole adapter if this GPU lasts for more than a month after repair.

Here is a picture of the Blown Fury X in operation- it is running outside my PC case via PCIe2.0 mining adapter.

I connected a Corsair HD 120  RGB  "Pull Fan" driven from my PC Motherboard and controlled by AIsuite3 and Corsair iCUE to the other side of the radiator.

RepairedR9FuryX.jpg

The fan speed control is working on the supplied fan that came with the R9 Fury X. It only runs at 1200 r.p.m and is only rated at 0.1 Amp  but I will look for a replacement Fury X Gentle Typhoon 3000 rpm fan in the future which has a rated current of 0.22 amps.  The rated current of the HD 120 RGB fan is 0.3A, so I will not drive it from the R9 Fury X just in case i blow the fan controller "fuse".

Here is the Repaired R9 Fury X running Compubench Ocean Surface Simulation.

pastedImage_2.png

In conclusion GPU "repaired". It will be interesting to see how long it lasts though.
I still need to replace the thermal paste, and run more extensive test on the GPU so I will leave it for now.

Thanks for everyone who helped with suggestions on how to fix it.

Bye.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
17 Replies