Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

athalon020
Journeyman III

Repeated driver crashes in one game, unsure of what to do

Hey everyone,

I have a recurring problem that I can neither diagnose nor find a place to start investigating.  To summarize, my AMD Graphics driver will crash after a few hours in Microsoft Flight Simulator and only Microsoft Flight Simulator.  I've updated to the most recent drivers and this didn't fix it (22.11.2), Event Viewer doesn't return any information other than MSFS had an error and it led to a crash, plus MSFS doesn't produce crash log files.  This has happened for around a year and I'm unable to do anything to try and fix it because there's just no information about it.

I've tried reporting this on the MSFS forums and they seem to always gravitate towards anything that would suggest it's an outside problem.  I've also submitted reports through the AMD software when I can, but these crashes almost always occur when I'm doing nothing to the game (just cruising on autopilot) and there's literally no way I can reproduce this predictably aside from letting it just run and wait for the crash.

I'm looking to build a brand new PC and this issue has stalled my decision on a graphics card.  I've used AMD cards for life (except one foray to nVidia, but that thing had all kinds of problems and got binned), but since this problem happens almost every single time and this is the game I'm building the PC around I'm not too confident that a new AMD card won't do the exact same thing since multiple drivers have had this same issue.  If I could sort out the cause and had a way to tell MSFS what's causing it, or confirm it's actually on my end, that would be amazing.  I just don't know where to even start to try and sort this out.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
2 Replies

Shame you did not include any system specs., so who knows what the issue may be related to?. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
athalon020
Journeyman III

Sorry, when you post on a forum late at night and upset you can forget things!

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
AMD Radeon RX 5600XT
MSI B450 Gaming Plus
16gb RAM

Something I forgot to include in the OP was that MSFS runs fine on most builds, but every once in a while they'll update it and this crash will start repeating until another update stops it.  MSFS runs from its own dedicated SSD, and I've been able to run Task Manager during most crashes to eliminate any memory/cpu/gpu overload at the time of the crash.  I've yet to see a crash where either RAM or GPU Memory was higher than 50%, and nothing is overclocked or overheating.

0 Likes