cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

relentless stability issues on am5 with ryzen 7900x

i have been battling some pretty annoying issues with my 7900x + asus b650e-i board with  F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5 gskill flare x5 ram on the microcenter deal. this is a new build. 

I gave up trying to get expo profiles to working. the computer is not even stable with completely stock bios and memory configuration. Sometime I can get it to boot with EXPO settings but after the next boot it will 100% never boot into windows/it seems to make the random crashes happen even more frequently.  

Computer will randomly black screen or blue screen even while doing nothing. Sometimes I can play a game, but if closing the game there seems around 50% chance there will be a bluescreen.  As i'm typing this i am hoping i wont have a random crash lol. 

Bootup it will not display on main monitor until i unplug both and plug in only one, sometimes only to the mobo display ports. 

The most intersting thing of all has been the wifi performance. I cannot use ethernet so have to rely on the wifi. It was very fast with low ping (2ms) as I have fiber but inexplicably the wifi performance seems to have gotten much worse. 60-100ms ping with 20ms down when my phone in the same room getting few ms and 500Mbps up and down. This sometimes persists through reboots, but not always. I literally have no idea why. 

Debug steps taken so far:

* Memtest86 passes on both sticks. 

* Running benchmark/stress on CPU, GPU, ram didn't cause any crashes...?

* Update Bios to latest

* update the chipset drivers. 

* Toggling memory context restore

* Change memory fclk based on some random review i found on amazon.  

* DDU and downgrade the video card drivers to something older and supposedly more stable. 

does anyone have any suggestions? my next step is to do clean install of windows and start swapping hardware but i am honestly very disappointed in the poor stability for the price i paid for everything I never expected to have so many issues...

0 Likes
1 Solution

as is turns out, this issues was 100% due to windows 11. 

Short story: until windows fixes whatever is going on with windows 11 update just stick with windows 10 unless there is some prepatched version of windows 11 that doesn't nuke dual ccd zen4 cpus. 

though i can't say for sure whether the original ram would have worked, both CPU 7900x and 7950x work fine and no crashes after doing fresh install #15 with windows 10. 

All the weird freezing, black screens, and other random issues (icons disspearing, randomly crap wifi ping and speed, and slow bootup of windows is now gone. this is 100% not due to corrupt windows 11 install, but an issue with the OS iteslf. I can tell you that the responsiveness with windows 10 and the dual ccds processor is a night and day difference even without considering the random reboots. 

i had read that windows 11 was having issues with the dual ccd ryzen processors (5000 series and 7900x and 7950x) at least 6 months ago which supposedly was addressed in a patch and then broken again apparently. 

to be honest with you im still pissed off enough that switching platforms because this has sucked all of my emotional energy out of me and traumatized me as well.

i will tell you that it was definitely a fun ride but the fun has to end at some point

just kidding. after posting this it decided to black screen after 8 hours of stressing and a mini celebration snack. so im done looking for a root cause this is just plain cursed. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies
mama
Adept II

What are the full components of your build?

0 Likes

CPU:  amd 7900x with 360mm aio. 
RAM: 32gb g skill flare x5 (microcenter special) F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5
SSD: 2tb crucial P5 plus nvme

MOBO: asus b650e-i gaming wifi (itx)
PSU: corsair sf-750 750w

GPU: asrock oc formula rx 6950 xt

0 Likes
mama
Adept II

You need to isolate the hardware issue (if it is the hardware).  As an observation, you have two relatively power hungry components being the 7900x and the Asrock Formula 6950XT and only a modest power supply.  I would look at the power supply first.  I note Asrock recommends a 1000w power supply.

obviously i need to isolate the hw issue XD but i would be very doubtful it is the power supply because it will crash while doing absolutely nothing. ive even crashed at logon screen. 

0 Likes

so you think windows is doing nothing while at login screen ? no sure about that

0 Likes

It is your call but I would not discount the advice of the manufacturer of the gpu you are using.  And as a person who uses one, I can confirm the 7900x has a significant power draw.

0 Likes

I bought an entire PCs worth of new components to debug this. Besides the power supply which is 10000% not the cause lmao

The first thing I tried was swapping the ram out with some different G skill ram (cl32) vs cl36 which i had gotten from microcenter deal. 

To my surprise Expo1/2 worked straight out of the box with the new ram. system went straight to windows after memory training. 
I stressed it pretty hard and the issue as far as i can tell is gone so it seems just to have been misbehaving ram. 

What was weird about the old gskill ram is that it passes memtest and usually booted but for some reason was just really unstable even with no expo profile...

so i lied while expo is now working with new ram the system still crashing for no reason doing literally nothing.
ive been at square one so many times and have nothing installed besides chrome and drivers and it is crashing at login screen. blue screens on occasions and black screens mostly when the computer is idling doing jack. inexplicably i also have something weird where the wifi is occasionally high ping and low up/down but not all the time, again while doing literally nothing. it is not persistent on reboots. sometimes its fast on reboots and sometimes its not. when i reinstall the drivers in windows it seems to reset something and then its fast as normal for a bit but will then go back to being randomly. i've had the restart freeze. again, nothing is open, the computer was doing nothing before other than booting up to see if it decided to work or not. 

i think its even more annoying now because its semistable to the point where i feel like its finally fixed, but then im like actually trying to use it for like web browsing or install something and then oop black screen and riiiiight back to 2minutes of memory training. 

after a fresh install of windows for the dozenth time thinking im going crazy i decided to buy an entire computer's worth of new parts and i said you know what im even going to upgrade from what i have maybe i need to spend even more money to make it work. so i bought a 7950x, 7900 xtx and a x670e motherboard and then proceeded down the rabbit hole. 

Tried every permutation of old/new mobo, CPU, new ram, different boot drive. different brands of boot drives. different nvme slots. one stick of ram. 2 sticks. played with all windows settings after heated googling, stock bios. bios update. different driver revision, no GPU (igpu). Normal GPU. its definitely more stable than it was before but it still crashes for absolutely no reason. I have even set sleep to never on the PC 

i also disabled automatic restart which was suggested in some reddit post which did not solve the issue. 

the only thing i didn't replace is the power supply but i would be absolutely amazed if that was causing blue screens and freezing when restarting from windows menu. besides that the only thing i haven't tried is windows 10, intel cpu and nvida gpu which i am probably going to try next if this thing crashes one more time. 

im at the point where its either drivers, amd specific issue, or windows 11 just hates zen4 and to be perfectly honest i paid way too much to care about whether asus and amd need more alone time to fix their drivers

0 Likes

You mentioned you bought 2nd combo. Can it be stable alone without any component mixing from your initial build?

Also, it seems to work initially after you swap the ram. Does that mean it is getting worse gradually?
My rig is 7950x with MSI x670e Carbon. My initial ram kit G.Skill DDR5-5600 CL36 had stability issues. I replaced it with Kingston DDR5-5600 kit one month ago. Since then, it is rock stable. I am running it at 6000MHz with AGESA 1.0.0.5c right now.

Subjectively, I would think it is still ram issue. Perhaps, G.Skill ram just dies on AM5 slowly.

0 Likes

as is turns out, this issues was 100% due to windows 11. 

Short story: until windows fixes whatever is going on with windows 11 update just stick with windows 10 unless there is some prepatched version of windows 11 that doesn't nuke dual ccd zen4 cpus. 

though i can't say for sure whether the original ram would have worked, both CPU 7900x and 7950x work fine and no crashes after doing fresh install #15 with windows 10. 

All the weird freezing, black screens, and other random issues (icons disspearing, randomly crap wifi ping and speed, and slow bootup of windows is now gone. this is 100% not due to corrupt windows 11 install, but an issue with the OS iteslf. I can tell you that the responsiveness with windows 10 and the dual ccds processor is a night and day difference even without considering the random reboots. 

i had read that windows 11 was having issues with the dual ccd ryzen processors (5000 series and 7900x and 7950x) at least 6 months ago which supposedly was addressed in a patch and then broken again apparently. 

to be honest with you im still pissed off enough that switching platforms because this has sucked all of my emotional energy out of me and traumatized me as well.

i will tell you that it was definitely a fun ride but the fun has to end at some point

just kidding. after posting this it decided to black screen after 8 hours of stressing and a mini celebration snack. so im done looking for a root cause this is just plain cursed. 

What did you end up doing as a solution here? I've had the exact same issue with practically the same hardware and want to throw this thing it a window. It's been 6 days if troubleshooting and I'm exhausted.

0 Likes
pwkos171
Journeyman III

Hello,

I'm late to the party. I had stability issues too. Dead Space Remake crashed like 50 times, and I tried everything to fix it. I also had random BSODs on cold start.

Sooooo, it turned out to be a conflict between EXPO RAM profile and Memory Context Restore. I don't know why, but they just don't play together. You either have to turn off EXPO and accept a performance penalty, or turn off Memory Context Restore and deal with 60+ second cold boot. Either way, it worked, and I finished Dead Space Remake without a single crash. 

Let me know if that was it.

P.S. Unrelated to that, I also had an issue with m.2 drive dying. I don't know if the AM5 platform killed it, or it simply was the time for it to go, but, in the beginning, I had a ton of blue screen and the dying (eventually, dead) m.2 was to blame. 

0 Likes
pwkos171
Journeyman III

From ASUS:

"Due to nature of DDR5 with X670E chipset at this time, it requires more time for training for stability.

If the customer enable "MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE,  REDUCTION OF BOOT TIME OF A SYSTEM ON A CHIP BY REDUCING DOUBLE DATA RATE MEMORY TRAINING."

It will cause instability if memory context restore is enable at this time."

0 Likes
Aristp
Adept I

My computer was running on 4800Mhz, unacceptable, so I did the EXPO and everything went haywire with BSOD, Crash etc.

After much tweaking, I fixed my new gaming setup in BIOS with an Enabled EXPO setting and manually checking the parameters in detail. 

ASUS 1222 version

AMD Expo on G Skill International Ent
F5-6000j3636F16GX2-FX5
2x16GB
JEDEC Mem Speed 1
ENABLE EXPO on EZMode set to 6000MHz
Go to Advance F7
Verify Correct Timings:
Tcl 36
Trcd 36
Trp 36
Tras 96
Trc 132
Twr 90
Trfc1 884
Trfc2 480
Trfcsb 390
VDD 1.35
VDDQ 1.35
PMIC Sync All
Mem VDD 1.35
Mem VDDQ 1.35
VPP 1.8
VDDP 1.050

and most Importantly!
Refresh Interval set to AUTO

I hope this helps GAME ON!Screenshot 2023-03-08 004638.pngScreenshot 2023-03-08 004811.png

reb0rn
Adept I

I have same issue

Asus b650m tuf gaming, 7900x, kingston renagade 6000 c32
bsod at default all, bsod au XPM1 timings faster mostly ad idle in windows!!!
memory test done for 2h at XPM1 passed?!
What do you mean about Refresh Interval set to AUTO ?

I am now testing with CPU multiplayer being limited to 48x as it might be also be unstable CPU!

0 Likes
miccasx
Journeyman III

isolate the hardware

0 Likes