Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Bryo4321
Adept II

Reference 7900 xtx 110c junction temp and maxed fan speed on every game

Hi, 

I got a reference 7900 xtx from the amd store and I am having some weird behaviors that I haven’t seen from any reviewers of the card

my specs:

Gigabyte x570 aurous master

5800x3d

reference 7900 xtx from amd store

Corsair RM1000x PSU

Fractal torrent compact case

No matter what game I play my junction temperature will steadily rise to 110c and stay there while core gpu temp hit around 68-72c, causing the gpu fans to ramp up to 2800 Rpm and they sound like a jet engine. Until I close the game the card seems to stay at this temperature and fan speed. I even noticed some performance degradation and black artifacting on destiny 2 when this was happening. I tried undervolting and setting max clock speed to 2500 mhz on the suggestion of some Reddit posts, but it did not fix the issue. My GPU is mounted horizontal in the standard configuration, not vertical mount or anything like that. Ambient temperature are around 65-70 Fahrenheit and I even observed this behavior benching in 3D mark with the side panel off. 

I suspect the cooler mount from the factory might be making poor contact. I am really disappointed and looking for some advice.

While I understand the card can go to 110c it doesn’t seem right that it is sitting at that temperature constantly with the fans at max speed. The behavior seems out of line with every review I have seen.

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We are investigating reports that some AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards (reference models made by AMD) are reaching the 110C temperature and throttling. Thermal throttling may impact the performance of the card by reducing clock rates, but the graphics card can continue to be used.

Users experiencing unexpected thermal throttling on their AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (reference models made by AMD) should contact AMD Support via telephone as our e-ticket system is currently under maintenance.

I will update this thread once I have more information to share, meanwhile we appreciate your patience.

View solution in original post

92 Replies
ShinjiFR
Adept I

Same to me... When I start any game my function temp up instantly to 110° and my computer looks like a plane in the air... Gpu never goes up to 60°c. First time I buy a amd gpu in my 24years of gaming, and it's the last time... How you can sell gpu and never try it before?! amazing

Ps : I can't control my fan with amd adrenaline to... I have crash on many games... So nothing work  after try many thing. When you buy 1000$+ you have nothing to do, but enjoy! Not with amd...

This sounds like something that either AMD Software or Hardware engineers needs to evaluate.

If the GPU card needs to be in a certain position to prevent it from overheating than it is a hardware engineer issue

But at the same time if the GPU card gets too much power at idle than it seems to be a Software Engineer issue.

0 Likes

Definitely the driver.  I know a new hotfix driver released for the 7900 series.  Make sure you clean install the newest driver.  See here: https://www.techpowerup.com/302474/amd-software-adrenalin-22-12-2-whql-exclusively-for-rx-7900-serie...

0 Likes
Supergo
Adept I

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your email.

I would like to inform you that the GPU temperature being observed in your use cases is normal and expected.

Radeon RX 7900 Series Desktop GPUs can operate up to 110 degree Celsius Junction temperature. Operating at up to 110C Junction Temperature during typical gaming usage is expected and within spec.

If you are experiencing any performance issue with the graphics card then please let us know.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

Niraj

AMD Global Customer Care

0 Likes

`That was the response I was expecting from AMD SUPPORT. As long as the GPU Temperature is at or below 110c AMD doesn't see anything wrong.

I would mention back that at certain positions the Hot Spot of the GPU card is way below 110c and stays below 90c while as soon as it is in back in a certain position the Hot Spot shoots back up to 110c.

I am in contact with the same rep. I definitely would not accept that answer if yours is behaving like mine.

I would focus on this sentence: 
If you are experiencing any performance issue with the graphics card then please let us know.

Because this is exactly what you are experiencing, you loose performance due to the high junction temp and therefore the card is downclocking and is not reaching the 350W total board power.

110° is a safe limit, the card is not abe to get any hoter, because of the built in safety measures.

At the moment I also have a ticket open for the same problem, but i live in the eu, so i can just sent it back within 14 days if AMD do not want to RMA my card.

Digital River Online-Shop - Gesetzliches Rücktrittsrecht

Hello All, there's a lot of noise about this problem with reference cards. Mine is the same. Interesting that turning your case around fixes the problem I haven't tried that because its boxed up ready for RMA.

One other issue I have had which i've not seen anywhere else is the performance. My old 3080 Time spy 16315 port royal 11906. 7900 xtx time spy 10927 port royal 10577. Really poor and i don't think it was 100% to do with the heat. Any one else seen this?

Cheers

Baker0

0 Likes

0 Likes
HABITB0L
Adept I

Same issue here...
110°C all the time in any game and bad performance (less fps than expected).

0 Likes
Bryo4321
Adept II

Adding an update. Just had a return request approved. They said there is no stock for replacements (after lying to me and saying there was). They also want me to pay return shipping. Whatever, I just want my money back on this piece of junk. If you read this please don’t buy s reference model and never by direct from AMD. Horrible experience all around.

0 Likes
HABITB0L
Adept I

Good video about this problem !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=xQwdbvRPw00&feature=emb_title

But he doesn't test with different orientation (only vertical)...

0 Likes
dekov
Adept II

Just found out if you overclock 7900XT to 350W you will reach 100°C after while. Cards have potential that AMD killed with these coolers

0 Likes
ZeroFame
Adept I

Received mine xfx 7900xtx and after 1st plug in had same issue. Called in to MRA and was ready to ship. Decided give it another try. Plugged in back with i712700k and ran same games as day before on 4k screen amd had no problem. Temps are not going above 75-80C. I had noticed one difference tho, today anti lag and sharpening was set to OFF by default and was ON yesterday.  Haven't test it yet. Will update 

UPDATE : Went back to 2k screen as yesterday when expirenced 110C junction temps. Turned back on Sharpenning and anti lag, also super resolution and malde no difference. Temps still not going above 81 after few hrs of demanding games. I don't know what to say. Weird is all I cam think of. Literally,  24 hrs ago same games and same everything Junction temps were at 110C in 5 min, not even.

You need to clean off your drivers and factory install new ones.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We are investigating reports that some AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards (reference models made by AMD) are reaching the 110C temperature and throttling. Thermal throttling may impact the performance of the card by reducing clock rates, but the graphics card can continue to be used.

Users experiencing unexpected thermal throttling on their AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (reference models made by AMD) should contact AMD Support via telephone as our e-ticket system is currently under maintenance.

I will update this thread once I have more information to share, meanwhile we appreciate your patience.

Can you share AMD SUPPORT telephone number or numbers?

I am not aware that information is listed.

0 Likes

Ive just reported mine on 01276 932 318 for the uk

0 Likes

Just something to take in for data reasons, Der8auer 

Did a response video after testing previously, he has figured out it is a manufacturing defect.

derbauer says it's a "design problem" , but this is not true , as i know some 7900xtx mba are perfectly fine (like mine for example) , for me his video is 50% troll making conclusion about things he checked on 4 gpu only, ... little bit curious ...regarding the title of the video too ...

Hello, what number do I call from Sweden? There’s no number listed for Sweden.

0 Likes

You can submit an e-ticket using the second link in my post. 

0 Likes

Still not going to have my fans at 100% while the hottest point of the GPU sits at or above 110 degrees. I rather downclock it until you come with a solution or get a refund and get an AIB card. I don't understand how reviewers got lucky with no issues but when consumers get the reference model we get space heater model. Not gonna lie, may as well crank it to stock settings for that toasty 110 junction temperature to stay warm here in the north hahahaha.

0 Likes
ZeroFame
Adept I

Screenshot_20221230-132338_Gallery.jpg

 3 hrs into testing XFX 7900 XTX  and temps are still normal. Only thing left to check is to overclock settings. 

It's not the reference model so you shouldn't have problems...

0 Likes
ZeroFame
Adept I

When installing driver Make sure you Do Fresh install or with AMD it's a box to check at the bottom so old drivers get deleted.  Seems like that could be part of an issue. I had 110C issue yesterday,  but not today,  not even in 3D time spy tests. 91 was maximum. In games 79-81 on junction.

So I got mine up to 103 just now but only with overclocking. Otherwise seems to be stable at 75-80 even with 4k virtual upscale on 2k screen. 

one123
Adept II

High junction temp is not from driver.100% is choice of gpu cooler,not enough pressure and in normal position,from factory or in time gpu cooler  separate from gpu die and  hotspot 110C.Solution is a thermal paste more thick and mounting videocard with riser(vertical).I had a powercolor red devil 6600xt with same problem,good junction from factory,but after 5months 110C with several repaste,different brand.

Only vertical position  resolved partial problem,but never temp like from factory,best was 85-90C junction.

Solution are  to return and buy aib 7900xtx with solid gpu cooler atachement and a suport for videocard if mounted horizontaly or mounted vertical.Reference 7900xtx have garbage cooler.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

If you haven't seen it Derbauer has researched this issue and has a video explaining what he found in his testing of multiple cards.

he says it's a "design problem" but as other 7900xtx mba are working perfectly fine it's not a "design problem" ... for me this video is a 50% troll clickbate...

Maxwell12889
Adept I

This is 100% my issue. I tip my case over so my card's vertical before I start gaming and temps are perfect the whole time. If I stand my case up while in the same game my temps climb to 110c. If I lay my case back on the side while at 110c the temps stay there. 

0 Likes
baepe
Adept III

I am also experiencing extremely high junction temps(110) with low GPU temps(60).

MikeySCT
Challenger

In a way, I was lucky in that, at the launch of the RX 7900 XT/XTX, I was all ready to snag one (but they sold out hella fast) and the shop I'd left word with (to contact me should they have the XTX) got in touch with me. It was fortunate that they had an XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX for me, made payment online via my bank app.

Now, it's in my friend's house gathering dust awaiting my return in February. I've always had a preference for AIB cards, especially exclusive AMD AIBs like XFX, PowerColor and Sapphire. I now have three generations of AMD card from each maker. 

I've read of the issue regarding reference MBA cards, and I do hope that it can be resolved as quickly as possible to restore customers' faith in AMD. I sure as heck believe in AMD, and that a solution that is agreeable to all (hopefully) can be arrived at soonest.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes
H3rby
Journeyman III

Same here my MBA powercolor rx 7900 xtx is very hot, it has hit 116c on the junction please get this sorted AMD!!!

0 Likes

I have this problem and opened a thread.
Sapphire 7900 XTX works at 110c in horizontal use and 95c in vertical use.
And because of this temperature, my GPU clock was dropping to 2470 mhz, also the power usage was dropping below 300w.
So I sent the card to Sapphire service (I live in Turkey)
Service told me to ask support from Sapphire support team.
I wrote the situation to Sapphire support and they got back to me, they asked me for some information, temperature, horizontal usage, vertical usage etc.
I have shared the information and am waiting for the result.
I will share the positive or negative result.

0 Likes

i am also living in Turkey, i have reffrence Sapphire 7900 xtx and my card is effected too. i dont know what i need to do. Can you share your service experiance with me.

0 Likes
papacheeks
Journeyman III

Der8auer has a new video with him using a machine to open up the vapor chamber to show what we believe is the defect:

0 Likes

Doesn't really tell us anything.

MikeySCT
Challenger

That not all reference cards are affected leads me to believe that perhaps certain batches of the coolers are defective as some are reporting pretty decent temps with their reference MBA cards.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes

Yeah a number of cards are working just fine. I have been using my MBA XTX (Sapphire) since almost three weeks now in standard horizontal position. Junction temperature pretty much never exceeds 78°C at stock with the fans spinning at around 1750 rpm. So it's not a general design flaw, which would mean every single card is affected, instead I also think there might be some bad batches out there which were hit by some sort of problem during manufacturing.

0 Likes
MikeySCT
Challenger

I saw a vid where it was discussed that perhaps the high junction temp was caused by....of all things, bad DP cables. It was postulated that good DP cables, like branded ones from Club3D (and those VESA certified ones I guess) would drop the temp. This is because with bad DP cables, voltages go from the monitor to the GPU causing the junction temp to spike.....apparently, voltages between monitor and GPU should be about even, but bad or poorly designed DP cable (there's talk about 19pin and 20pin on the DP cables) allow volts from monitor to go to the GPU, thus causing the temp issue.

I dunno how true this is, a few peeps at Reddit had brought this up. Perhaps AMD should look into this. As for myself, I use Club3D and Linkup DP cables, Ugreen and Linkup HDMI cables.....maybe that's why I've had no issue whatsoever with my AMD GPUs.

Found the vid....

0 Likes