Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Bryo4321
Adept II

Reference 7900 xtx 110c junction temp and maxed fan speed on every game

Hi, 

I got a reference 7900 xtx from the amd store and I am having some weird behaviors that I haven’t seen from any reviewers of the card

my specs:

Gigabyte x570 aurous master

5800x3d

reference 7900 xtx from amd store

Corsair RM1000x PSU

Fractal torrent compact case

No matter what game I play my junction temperature will steadily rise to 110c and stay there while core gpu temp hit around 68-72c, causing the gpu fans to ramp up to 2800 Rpm and they sound like a jet engine. Until I close the game the card seems to stay at this temperature and fan speed. I even noticed some performance degradation and black artifacting on destiny 2 when this was happening. I tried undervolting and setting max clock speed to 2500 mhz on the suggestion of some Reddit posts, but it did not fix the issue. My GPU is mounted horizontal in the standard configuration, not vertical mount or anything like that. Ambient temperature are around 65-70 Fahrenheit and I even observed this behavior benching in 3D mark with the side panel off. 

I suspect the cooler mount from the factory might be making poor contact. I am really disappointed and looking for some advice.

While I understand the card can go to 110c it doesn’t seem right that it is sitting at that temperature constantly with the fans at max speed. The behavior seems out of line with every review I have seen.

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We are investigating reports that some AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards (reference models made by AMD) are reaching the 110C temperature and throttling. Thermal throttling may impact the performance of the card by reducing clock rates, but the graphics card can continue to be used.

Users experiencing unexpected thermal throttling on their AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (reference models made by AMD) should contact AMD Support via telephone as our e-ticket system is currently under maintenance.

I will update this thread once I have more information to share, meanwhile we appreciate your patience.

View solution in original post

92 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Have you tried with side panel open? While 110C is something that GPU can do, I doubt it is supposed to do it so easily.

"Much like Nvidia, AMD’s latest cards run a little hot. AMD says the Radeon RX 7900 XTX can run at up to 110 degrees Celsius junction temperature during a typical gaming session, and I measured temperatures hitting nearly 100 degrees during demanding games. " theverge.com 

This other User at AMD with a 7900XTX had a similar issue with games also reaching 110c. The fix was his computer case had poor air circulation in it: https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/7900-xtx-reference-bought-from-amd-com-junction-always-110c/m-...

You can check this out by temporarily removing your PC side panel and see if your GPU card runs slight cooler with it off. If it does that is a good indication you have air circulation issues inside your PC.

If it doesn't then it is a issue with your GPU card. You can open a AMD SUPPORT- WARRANTY Ticket to see if they believe you need to RMA your GPU card under warranty to be checked or repaired or replaced from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Screenshot 2022-12-14 125831.png

NOTE: Open a ticket after checking the air circulation inside your PC first.

Also don't try to replace the thermal paste because that will probably void your AMD Warranty on the GPU card.

Thanks, I mention in my post I did already try taking my side panel off and it made no difference for the card’s temps, and it’s very cold in my house. I will most likely make a warranty request

Sorry I must have missed that part of your Reply.

Yes that is a good idea to do first to see if they believe the GPU card is the issue or some other reasons for the high Temps during heavy loads like playing games.

Please, if possible, post what AMD replied. Should be interesting if it isn't by a script type reply.

NOTE: I wouldn't do anything without consulting AMD SUPPORT - Warranty first so that your AMD Warranty won't be voided by Customer actions.

Once the Warranty expires you can do anything you want like replacing the Thermal paste and pads or overclocking the GPU.

Then, of course, they might just say that as long as it doesn't go past 110c the GPU card is working within it temperature range and nothing is wrong with it.

If the GPU card was overheating and going beyond 110c constantly then you have a good case for AMD Warranty.

Did forget to mention that in my last reply concerning contacting AMD Support - Warranty.

But who knows what AMD Support will say. I was just guessing at their reply.

0 Likes

Yeah I could see that possibility too, but the fan ramping up the way it does seems abnormal like the cooler can’t keep up with the junction temps. I suspect if the card wasn’t throttling it would go over 110c

That is a good point about the fans.

Have you tried putting in a more aggressive Fan curve in Radeon Settings so the fans reaches maximum speed at a lower temperature like 70c or 80c?

With your ambient room temperature around 70F both your CPU and GPU should run a lot cooler than in a room around 80F.

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, tonight I will experiment more with the fan curve. So far I only tried a small undervolting and capping the max clock to 2500 which had no significant change in thermal results, but I didn’t try changing the fan curve. I’m a little annoyed that the default settings were behaving this way out of the box which just seemed wrong. I will report back after some more tweaking, but I definitely won’t be repasting or opening the card as I am hoping AMD gives me a response soon.

I am starting to see a lot of anecdotal evidence of others reporting this kind of behavior with reference cards on Reddit, so it really makes you wonder. I haven’t seen a single review report junction temps like this.

I tried maxing my gpu fans manually before even going into a game, with a small undervolt and boost capped to 2500 mhz and junction temps still rose to 110c albeit a little slower, I saw it hit 111c for a second before the boost dropped to 2400 and board power dipping to 320 or so before it rises and drops again. Seems fan curve did not help, and that was all done while the side panel was completely off. Still waiting for a response from AMD for my RMA ticket.

-10% power limit had the junction top out around 97-98c which is still too hot. And that was with a max boost of about 2300 MHz which is much slower than the 2500 expected. 

0 Likes

Sorry for this very long reply. But a lot of information concerning your GPU's Temperatures from various sources that I posted for your to look over.

Does sound like something is not working correctly on the GPU cooling system. Possibly the Thermal Paste from the factory is not working the way it should or the Heatsink is not making a solid contact with the GPU chip. Just guessing though.

I am not familiar with the 7000 series GPU cards but with the 6000 series GPU cards  most Hot Spot temps stays below 90c during heavy loads or gaming.

See if your GPU card overheats while being stressed. Try using OCCT to stress test your GPU and PSU. You can use that information for AMD if you should try to RMA the GPU card.

With your room around 70F and the side panel off and with a aggressive fan curve and it still reaches 110c and even needs to throttle to keep at 110c does not sound normal.

But personally I don't believe AMD will replace your GPU card if the Hot Spot temperature stays at or below 110c. Since the GPU card was engineered to run at those hot temperatures and considered to be normal.

From reviews the RX7900XTX is a very high wattage GPU card. Something around 355 watts of power.

Found this 3DGURU reviews that does mention temperatures and the RX7900XTX temps seems to be similar to the 6900XT temps: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-review,7.html:

Graphics card temperatures

So here we'll have a look at GPU temperatures. First up will be IDLE (desktop) temperatures as reported through the software on the thermal sensors of the GPU. Overall anything below 50 Degrees C is considered okay, anything below 40 Degrees C is admirable. We add some other cards at random that we have recently tested in the chart. But what happens when we are gaming? We fire off an intense game-like application at the graphics card and measure the highest temperature of the GPU. 

Screenshot 2022-12-19 190326.png

Screenshot 2022-12-14 125831.png

So with the card fully stressed, we kept monitoring temperatures and noted down the GPU temperature as reported by the thermal sensor. These tests have been performed at 20~21 Degrees C room temperature, this is a peak temperature based on a GPU stress loop.

Tom's Hardware is showing similar temps under game conditions. Temps below 80c: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-and-xt-review-shooting-for-the-top/8

Screenshot 2022-12-19 190326.png

Screenshot 2022-12-19 191422.png

AMD bumped up the TBP on the 7900 XT to 315W instead of the original 300W, and in FurMark we actually just barely exceeded that mark — and the same goes for the RX 7900 XTX, which hit 366W. Our Metro Exodus power tests both end up around 5W lower than the rated TBP, but it's worth noting that in other gaming tests, particularly at 1080p, power use can be quite a bit lower (see below).

Clock speeds on both cards landed above the 2.5 GHz mark while gaming, though as you'd expect, the clocks were quite a bit lower in FurMark. In fact, in FurMark it looks like AMD's new cards throttle more than just about any other GPU we've tested recently. That's not a huge issue, as FurMark represents an atypical "worst-case" workload — though that could change in the future.

GPU temperatures remained below 70C in all of our testing, with fan speeds south of 2,000 RPM. The fan speed and temperature results also line up with what we experienced in regular use, as the XTX card has a larger and more potent cooling subsystem and often runs noticeably quieter than the XT model.

Of course these tests are done under controlled laboratory conditions but does give you a general idea of Temperatures under loads for the RX7900XTX.

So it seems like the 7000 series temperatures are similar to the 6000 series temperatures.

EDIT: AMD Recommends a minimum PSU of 800 Wats for a PC with a RX7900XTX GPU card installed. Asus for their RX7900XTX GPU card recommends a PSU between 800 watts and 1200 watts.

This tech site mentioned a couple of good points: https://www.geeksstate.com/can-psu-cause-gpu-to-overheat/#Can_PSU_cause_a_GPU_to_overheat

Can PSU cause a GPU to overheat?

The heat generated from the PSU can only affect the GPU if the PSU is too hot and the two parts are very close to each other, another reason would be if the PSU is cheap and malfunctioning, the PSU could then provide the GPU with more power than needed or less power than required causing the GPU to overheat and eventually fail.

1- Is your GPU in a position where your CPU Cooler is exhausting its hot air directly at the GPU heatsink?  That would make your GPU card run much hotter than normal.

2- Is your GPU very close to any hardware that might produce a lot of heat like your PSU or CPU as mentioned above?

3- During OCCT PSU Test keep an close eye on PSU Outputs during the tests (3.3/5.0/12.0 VDC). Each output should be within 5% of its rated output. Anything more than 5% and your PSU is not delivering accurate voltages or is under powered.

0 Likes

I appreciate the suggestions and data, I understand about the operating temperature, but board power and clocks starts dipping to keep that 110c target, which doesn’t seem right. With OCCT psu outputs are rock stable, cpu temps are perfectly fine, but gpu junction temps still hit 110c and clocks and board power start to throttle after the fans max out. Gpu core was only about 62c running occt, why on earth is there a 30c+ delta? All without a side panel. The only way I was able to get junction temps under control was to drop the power limit to -10% but why do I have to do that on a $1000 card? 

my noctua cpu cooler exhausts out the rear and my case has tons of airflow, my old 3080 was always extremely quiet and pulled just as much wattage, even more as it was a 3x 8pin model.

Anyways I’m not sure what else can be done at this point without a response from AMD for my rma request. I really appreciate the help though, thank you very much.

I hope AMD Support gives you an answer that you will approve or AMD will replace your GPU card under Warranty if you purchased it from AMD STORE.

0 Likes
Supergo
Adept I

I am in the same boat here. Just bought and installed my 7900xtx reference card and it hit 110c junction yesterday. I have a Corsair 4000d airflow case with 2x140 mm Arctic fans up front Noctua 120mm exhaust and a 280mm Arctic AIO, airflow is not a problem. I have not overclocked or undervolt. The only thing I did was custom fan curves. I even ran it at 100% fan speed and it did not help,

Supergo
Adept I

I have a friend who also bought the same GPU on AMD.com s as of we compared numbers last night trying to see some differences. I did notice that my GPU at idle, with nothing running, had a junction temp of 54c. His was around 34c. I then cranked the fans up to 2700rpm and it only dropped the temp to 51c. The other odd thing was the amount of power being sent to the card at idle. I was at 93 watts at idle, he was at 45watts. Seem like the power delivery is off? Took a pic when it got to 102c of Adrenaline 

I just got mine and i did a Port Royal Stress test and my card got up to 80-82 degree, junction Temp was always at 110 and my Clock speed went down to 2000MHz and sometimes even lower

0 Likes

I just jumped back into a game and it is going to 107 on junction temp. This is just unacceptable for a $1000 gpu. I have reached out to AMD for help. I shouldnt have to adjust/alter/reconfigure a gpu the first time I used it. To be clear, this is not a case/fan/airflow problem. The card that this is replacing is a 3090FE that I simply took out, DDU the Nvidia drivers, and installed the 7900xtx. That 3090 FE never got above 64c in the same case.

Has your friend tracked their max junction temps? There is a Reddit thread on r/amd with lots of others with reference cards reporting this issue. My theory is that there is something wrong with the tolerances of this cooler. I will update this thread once AMD support reviews my videos and replies to me.

do you notice any improvement if you set your pc sideways? I’m going to try this as some on Reddit said this actually improved temps for them, which to me implies a lot of these coolers are not making contact well.

this is not an adequate permanent solution of course, but I think it does help narrow down if this is a contact problem.

I have not tried the sideways thing yet. I did replace the Arctic 140mm fans up front with Noctua 120mm to see if a change in fans would get more cool air on the gpu, but it doesnt matter how much air you are blowing at the card, it doesnt cool it down. Makes me think its a contact problem with the heatsink

I was able to try putting my pc sideways with pcie slot facing the cieling, junction locked to 80c and stayed there! What the heck?

so I tried putting the pc upside down so the gpu fans point up and it heated up again! What??? 

very very unusual.

Okay it seems to indicate it isn't a defective GPU card but some sort of air circulation issue inside your PC.

If the Hot Spot stayed at 80c that is more typical for heavy loads on the 6000 series and from the reviews the same for the 7000 series GPU cards.

when the PC was sideways which way were the GPU fans facing? Downward or upwards or sideways?

It seems the GPU fans in a certain position is pushing or sucking hot air from somewhere in your PC into the GPU's heat sink. Most likely from your CPU Cooler exhaust if I were to take a guess.

Unless by changing position the heat sink itself possibly moved enough to make better contact with the GPU Chip thus the better more typical temperatures.

See if you can jiggle the Heat sink very carefully to see if it might be slightly loose or when you have the PC in the position where it is overheating gently pushing down on the Heat Sink to see if the temperature lowers immediately or not.

That would indicate if the Heat sink is properly installed from the factory or not.

0 Likes

The gpu fans face the bottom of the case where there is a mesh intake filter, they don’t intake near the CPU. I put the case upside down and the temps were bad again like they were right side up. This is not a case issue I don’t think as all this testing was still done without a side panel . I’m quite confident this has to do with some sort of sag in horizontal gpu configurations causing enough play to lead to bad die contact with the cooler. I tried the card on my friend’s test bench because I had a hunch the problem is case agnostic and observed the same behavior, any horizontal configuration results in 110c junction temps, but if the card is oriented so the fans are sideways it is fine.

I got the idea from a Reddit thread where another person observed this behavior.  Of course I don’t intend to use my pc sideways but it’s an important clue I think 

I would believe that should be enough evidence to RMA you card then. That GPU card should work correctly in any position as long as it is getting good air flow. Since the only moving parts are just the fans and nothing else.

Does the temperature go down if you were to put pressure on the heat sink in the position where it starts overheating?

That would prove that the heat sink is not making good contact with the GPU Chip.

I tried but didn’t notice much difference, but the backplate prevents you from really being able to put any pressure on the pcb. everything is pretty much encased in aluminum on this card. I will probably do a little more testing as I’d like to confirm this.

On idle temps; There's a bug in the current drivers; connected high refresh monitors make the GPU idle power draw higher than intended (you can test this by settings your refresh rate to 60hz in windows settings and see board power go down to 30W).

This bug also makes the card run hotter than normal for no reason because it draws quite a lot of unneeded power. You can test it out for yourself you'll see with normal power draw the temps will get lower.

0 Likes

Aware of this issue but single monitor testing gave no significant difference for me.

0 Likes

yeah, I'm on a 4k 144hz refresh monitor. I was wondering why at idle it was using so much gpu resources

0 Likes

Reinstall the driver.  Do a factory install.  Make sure you have the most recent available for the 7900 series.  Check again.

0 Likes
douji
Journeyman III

For anyone who needs an answer AND its not the case that has bad airflow::

Open your amd adrenalin software

-Uncheck AMD FreeSync Premium (disable it)

- Enable AMD Chill (have mine on 75 - 165 Hz)

this worked for me. 110 junction temp to 60 - 62. Hope this helps

-douji

So I did these two things described above and it netted me 11c in temp change. So I went from 110c to 99c after trying this. Totally unacceptable to have to experiment with solutions to make an AMD reference card function properly. No response from AMD either. I filled out an online request for technical assistance and warranty request. I honestly have never in the 20 plus years of buying video cards had a situation where the card is reaching max temp and its completely stock. If I was in there overclocking or undervolting it would be different, this is a stock card with only fan speed changed to try to keep it from melting. The other great thing as I tried to Enable AMD Chill I got the friendly Wattman telling me there was an error and adrenaline crashed.....rip

Supergo
Adept I

Just want to add that my gpu at idle, meaning nothing is open, except adrenaline, my gpu is sucking back 75 watts. It idles at 0% load at 54c junction temp. Again, I turned off 0rpm fan and used a curve that the lowest fan speed is 800rpm. So sitting at 0% load, at idle, why is it using 75watts?

0 Likes

It is a bug, high refresh rate monitors are the cause for the high idle powerdraw. 

You can easily test this yourself just lower your monitors refresh rate in the windows display settings and you'll see lower idle powerdraw and thus temps.

AMD is aware of this bug it'll get fixed.

0 Likes

75W on XTX? I got 100W on XT on idle and 63°C, 75°C junction temperature. I wanted to give AMD chance after 10 years with nvidia, but seems like I will be returning this card and will wait for rtx 4070 ti.

0 Likes
Maxwell12889
Adept I

I seen a post about laying the computer case on it's side and it fix's the 110c junc problem, so I gave it a try and it worked. I really don't understand how it works because I didn't change anything beside tipping my computer over. I wonder if there is a issue with the vaper chamber or something? I don't know not a pro at this stuff. I think I might try to buy a vertical GPU mount for my case. When I did look most of them are PCI.E 3.0. I have a fractal Torrent case so airflow should be just fine. Not sure what to do.

100% can confirm this. Have also bought a vertical gpu mount and fixed the thermal throttling and noise problems. 

In my humble opinion the contact of the cooler to the die is not optimal when the GPU is "hanging" in horizontal position. When vertical the pressure is better and the temps are 89C instead of 110C for my card with fans 1900 rpm instead of 2800 rpm.

Same boat here. I am considering a vertical mount but I’m not really happy with that solution. It’s a band-aid fix and we shouldn’t have to do that for a $1000 card.

I also have talked to amd and they requested I update chipset and to the new gpu driver. The driver had helped multi monitor use power draw, but the 110c junction temperature issue remains.

Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi

just like a cpu - when you have junction temps this high - this is on the die it self. This is either poor thermal paste applied or heatsink not correct mounted. If you are in country where fixing this will void warranty you need to RMA the thing - otherwise - I would remove heatsink and check things. You mention you have 68-72 on the card that is normal. AMD make use of several temp sensors and in Adrenalin you have 2 temps - one for card (the lower temp of the 2) and then the junction temp (some mention this as the hotspot temp) the higher one of the 2. I would say that unless you overclock this should never go above 100 so this 110 is clear indication that something is wrong with the heatsink connection to the die ! Assume air flow is ok in computer case - intake and outtake - put hand to outtake vents - hot or not ? If not then its not the case and if case cpu would also suffer from this. 

GPU die and heatsink / thermal paste it is !

*edit

just read down this one - several mention power draw even in idle. Then most likely this is driver issue - and yes use chill and wait for new driver !

0 Likes

New Driver did not fix it. All testing was done with open side panel and even a test bench. When the card is in normal position it overheats still. Vertical mounting fixes it. Definitely a heatsinks contact issue of some kind I believe

Supergo
Adept I

TECH.SUPPORT@AMD.COM

To:
  • You

Wed 12/21/2022 6:43 AM

Dear ,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your email.

I would like to inform you that the GPU temperature being observed in your use cases is normal and expected.

Radeon RX 7900 Series Desktop GPUs can operate up to 110 degree Celsius Junction temperature. Operating at up to 110C Junction Temperature during typical gaming usage is expected and within spec.

If you are experiencing any performance issue with the graphics card then please let us know.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

Niraj

AMD Global Customer Care

0 Likes