cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

birdie30
Newcomer

Really Bad Frame Drops in Certain Games

I recently put together this system with a Ryzen 3 2200G and an RX 580 8GB, this is not the first computer I've built, but I can not figure out why in certain titles I am getting extremely bad frame skips/drops in titles this system should easily be able to run.

What exactly is happening:
The games I have run into this problem are Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Overwatch and Tom Clancy's: The Division 2. In CS:GO my framerate is hovering around 80FPS and dips only a little bit to 60, but I feel like this framerate is really low for a game that is not very demanding like Counter Strike. In Division 2, I get frame skips down to 20-25 down from 50-60, which again is rather low for an RX 580. Overwatch is the most severe where I am usually starting anywhere from 120-160FPS and it tanks to 30-60,causing extremely bad frame skips whenever someone uses an ability or gets close to my character.

My previous system I was using daily was a laptop with an i7 8700HQ and a GTX 1050Ti, maybe more powerful in the CPU department, but much less powerful graphics wise, and all other titles I would play on this system run better on my new computer, but the ones that I mentioned do not at all. Another good example is Apex Legends which uses the same engine as CS:GO (I think) runs at even higher FPS than CS:GO which is absurd in my opinion.

What I have already tried/attempted:
All drivers are up to date, I have flashed the BIOS twice, no abnormal thermals or clock speeds are happening (GPU is always 60C or lower and CPU is around the same, 65C max with the stock cooler). My ram is 16GB of Corsair Vengeance at 2400MHZ which I overclocked to 3000MHZ and still get the same results either way. All of these titles are using the RX 580 as the graphics driver (I am new to AMD's software and have had trouble navigating it to make changes though, if any at all). I have turned on and off AMD "Chill FPS" multiple times, uninstalled and installed Re Live to see if that was an issue and I have attempted to go back to a previous driver version, but I can't find where to get any previous drivers from and since I never had previous drivers installed, they aren't already on my system to use. I read somewhere MSI Afterburner can cause conflicts with AMD's GPU settings, which I did have installed, but even uninstalling that along with any other, benchamarking, monitoring or overclocking tools haven't changed anything.

I am at a loss on what to do at this point.

Full system specs:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.8GHZ Quad Core
AMD XFX RX 580 8GB
ASUS B350 Prime Plus
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHZ OC to 3000MHZ

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD

EVGA 750BQ PSU

EDIT: Changing graphics settings in game doesn't affect FPS in virtually every single title, also odd, and an indicator of a CPU bottleneck, but I have seen other benchmarks with the same system specs and they do not have this problem.

0 Likes
1 Reply
maxmog
Journeyman III

I have the same problem with my RX 570. I can not figure out what is going on either.

0 Likes