cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: RDNA2, RDNA Refresh, and "Big Navi" Launch and Reviews.

This is a very, very interesting article. Apparently, using DXR and in SoTR, the RX 6800 is nearly as fast as the 3070 with DLSS on...Thing is though, why would AMD have withheld ray tracing performance benchmarks if they were all this good?

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-rdna-2-graphics-card-ray-tracing-dxr-benchmarks-leak-out/

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Something which concerns me is AMD's lack of anything lower than the 6800. We know the RTX 3060Ti, which will have performance of the 2080 Super supposedly, will debut on the 16th for sub $400, but I haven't even seen anything confirmed that there will be a 6700 or lower anytime soon...Unless AMD just takes Navi, overclocks and rebrands them as the 6700 and lower...

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

My only guess there is that do to lack of availability in the market right now of anything other that rtx 2060 and down on the green team that AMD is trying to move the ton of Navi cards still on store shelves. Everywhere I look the only thing you can get is a Navi card. I imagine AMD doesn't want to get stuck with them like they did all those polaris cards. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I do not think iut possible or sensible to attempt to overclock Navi10 RX5700XT any more than they are already set to unless AMD move them to newer 7nm process. I do not think that would happen. I think they will just drop the prices to where they should have been in the first place and the AIB will strip fancy features like detachable RGB fans, backplates etc, You know - like the Bait and Switch Gigabyte pulled with theit RX590 REV1.0 versus REV2.0 - except in that case the cards were avertised with the higher spec and the price stayed the same...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

I think RDNA will be gone as soon as inventory dries up. Maybe some of the newer skus will hang around for about a year that are the newer ones bellow the 5700. From what some tech sites say they believe the silicon or hardware issues in some of those have been fixed. Which makes sense because you only hear about the HDMI audio issues on existing 5700 cards. I would expect we will see a RDNA2 replacement for the 5700 on shelves by the end of quarter one 2021. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I still keep thinking back to when AMD said "Navi Refresh". To quote Lisa Su directly, from the WCCFTech article in January:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Could be but IMHO a dumb move then. RDNA overall I think has had a bad reputation for a lot of people. They would also be better to have a head to toe lineup that supports ray tracing at this point. Plus with one architecture to count on a better chance of improving the driver on hopefully less flawed silicon. 

Guess time will tell. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

But with a single architecture from top to bottom, it'd be all the excuse AMD needs to move every single GPU prior to the RX 6000 series to legacy support officially, and I'm sure there's more than a few people who stopped using AMD after they did that with the HD 6000 series after one year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Can't disagree with that and it is what I predicted would happen with RDNA. However that ended up not replacing the whole lineup. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Same, I predicted everything pre-Polaris would be officially moved to "Legacy" status, although we know "unofficially" they all long since have as they have not received any new features or improvements in ages. Given the minuscule market share of all pre-Polaris cards, however, now would be the time to actually do that officially so they could "officially" focus on RDNA, which I am believing more and more will be refreshed to fill out the $100-$300 price range, RDNA2, which will need massive attention, and Vega, which will be featured on Cezanne and not RDNA/2.

0 Kudos