cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: RDNA2, RDNA Refresh, and "Big Navi" Launch and Reviews.

No game compatibility for Real Time Ray Tracing was mentioned yet.

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Well, if the RTX 3070 stock is anything like the RTX 3080/3090 "launch", people might go with an RX 6800 because, well, it is available?

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I don't know why people thought AMD would not come through with competitive cards as they would not come out and say it and destroy their reputation for good.  I heard enough of that and glad we are getting close to the release of the cards.  Thing is though the idea that competition would bring about better pricing sure doesn't start now.  Their pricing only really makes sense in the U.S. and nowhere else.  I knew AMD would just turn into the bad guy like Nvidia.  They are a company and have shareholders to please.  Now is it better having AMD competing with Nvidia?  Yes.  How will that change pricing in the future?  We will see but I don't hold my hopes up for anything significant.  It was hard enough to stomach paying $675 or so including tax (Canadian) for an RX 5700 XT and now this.  Sorry but pc gaming is becoming something for the very well off.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think so for six reasons:

1. Only reference edition cards will be available at launch, per AMD, and AMD reference editions have a track record of being horrid.
  2. AMD's track record of Day 1 drivers, or even Month 1 drivers, is incredibly terrible.
  3. RX 6000's ability to handle ray tracing in all popular current games, from Minecraft on up, is unknown.
  4. Stores will be having "Black Friday Deals" the entire month of November.
  5. Next generation consoles are up for release, and will require about $750 investment just to get started.
  6. RX 6000 series is too expensive.

Consoles and Black Friday Deals aside, the top three are very reasonable, and dropping in excess of $500 on a new release reference edition card from AMD is very, very risky.

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

I am not surprised at AMD coming back here with a much more competitive product. I was absolutely hoping they would do just that. 

I don't think the pricing makes sense here. I don't think they are priced to win back market share. While it appears they really have a fast card on their hands they need more than that. If this was even one more generation in the future where they have deservedly earned back market share and had really good feature parity and stable drivers then similar price points makes total sense to me. 

AMD is NOT coming from there. They have had a lot of lost faith the past couple years. RDNA while a good architecturally was a good leap forward in speed has to this day a lot of problems and you need look know further than these forums to see that. I very much hope the RDNA2 silicon fixes these issues that apparently the driver have not been able to . 

I think cheaper pricing would just put these cards into a lot more hands of those on the fence. 

I know I would very much think about a 6800 non xt if the price was closer to $500. I could overlook its short comings. As a user who has a 2070 super and realizes that most of the games that really stress that card at 4k that I play do have DLSS and that feature makes them playable at 4k. So between driver stability and maturity and still some features that so far have not proved to be equaled by team red, in my mind still makes me hesitate thinking the 3070 at 80 bucks cheaper may be the better buy. At 500 for a 6800 it would be a no brainer for me, and more worth the risk of giving red another chance. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

I agree the pricing is too high. If they want to earn marketshare and more importantly faith again from their lost base they need to price better. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

They question is though how many games actually conform to that standard as is. How many existing games will have to be updated to support it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I do also love these pair of graphics, where it shows that the 6800XT isn't always faster than the 3080 even in AMD's own tests, but even if you buy a $500+ Ryzen 5000 series processor and a 500 chipset motherboard, again another "F YOU!" to all of us who had the audacity to support AMD early and believe them when they said every AM4 processor would be supported, it's STILL not always faster, AND it costs essentially the same amount of money. It's like they're just giving people every excuse to buy Ampere...

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

RAGE mode is setting the power slider above 0% and adjusting the fan profile up according to Gamers Nexus Information it is worth 2% performance uplift.
Power slider on RX Vega 64 Liquid and RX5700XT goes to +50% ,,, that is a lot of extra power to feed into the GPU,

0 Kudos