cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dazza_bo
Adept I

Ray tracing not working in Battlefield V

Recently upgraded to a 6950 XT and thought I'd check out how ray tracing looks in Battlefield V but it's not working at all. I have turned it on in options but all windows/puddles/water looks exactly the same as when it's turned off. I have read this is a common problem with the 6000 cards and the suggested fix is to downgrade drivers to 21.3.1 and that seems to fix it but as the 6950 XT is a newer card it won't let me install that version. Any ideas or help?

0 Likes
1 Solution
dazza_bo
Adept I

Hi, for what it's worth I thought I'd check out BFV for the first time in ages (probably a year or so) and the ray tracing now works fine with my 6950 XT. I guess one of AMD's driver updates fixed it in the last 12 months. Sorry for bumping such an old thread but thought it was worth the update.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi

ok a driver from 21 might not work since 6950 was not released at that time. But are you sure RT is not on ? Playing with my 6900 xt and everything on ultra made my kids ask if I played with RT on ! A lot of time when I see games and compare RT on vs off - I have very hard times telling when its on or off. Also depends on game it self - how well is RT implemented. Personally I do not care about RT as it's pulling too many teeths out of my system and not just because it is AMD - Nvidia users also avoid turning this on - at least for multiplayer sessions. Not sure if there are good spots in game where it is easy to tell - remember a video about a car and its reflections - perhaps also water on street ? Find review of 6950 - very often they have testet RT on the cards - like techpowerup and in first section - test setup - they inform what driver is used....

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6950-xt-reference-design/3.html

here they use some press driver but also mention whql driver 22.3.1 - are you sure it is not this one ? And not 21.3.1 ? 

Anyway to downgrade - often you need to wipe driver out - either DDU or AMD own uninstall driver tool.

RT is turned on in options but definitely not working in game. As I said, there are lots of similar reports about the 6000 series cards and RT not working specifically with BFV unless you roll back to 21.3.1

I've read reviews of this card too, I'm aware that RT works, it's just not working specifically in BFV.

Unfortunately I don't think I can downgrade even after using DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility as the drivers shown to fix the problem were released before my GPU and therefor not supported. Thanks for the suggestions though, I appreciate the response.

0 Likes

hmm and you are not using any user.cfg file - in which you have some settings that impacts how render is done ? I would go as plain as possible. I have game - and 6900 xt - I can give it a try and see if it makes any difference !

According to Radeon Adrenaline 21.3.1 Release notes it is compatible with the RX69xx series GPU cards. So it should be able to install unless you have Windows 11 installed: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-3-1

Screenshot 2022-11-07 082158.png

when you install the above driver or the latest one try using the following simple method:

Download and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) with the Internet disconnected. Also before running DDU delete the created AMD Driver Installation folder at C:\AMD.

Once DDU reboots install the full AMD package your downloaded and if installs successfully again delete C:\AMD folder.

See if Ray Tracing now works in the above version.

Here is the latest Driver for your RX6950XT: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6000-series/amd-radeon-rx-6900-series/amd-rade...

EDIT: Found this EA.COM article about Ray Tracing in Battlefield V. It seems like Ray Tracing in that game is made to be optimized for Nivdia GPU card only: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-V/Ray-tracing-with-no-reflections-in-battlefield-V-and-AMD/td-...

Screenshot 2022-11-07 082158.png

Don' t know how accurate the above statement is since it was made in August 2021.

Plus this recent article from EA concerning Ray Tracing and Battlefield V and Nvidia: https://www.ea.com/games/battlefield/battlefield-5/news/ray-tracing-comes-to-battlefield-5

@elstaci wrote:

According to Radeon Adrenaline 21.3.1 Release notes it is compatible with the RX69xx series GPU cards.

I thought so too but when I try to install it (after properly uninstalling current drivers with DDU) it gives me a 182 error and I cannot install

As for RT only being optimized for Nvidia in BFV I have seen plenty of people saying it is working with their cards. The link you provided even has a user saying downgrading to 21.3.1 fixed the issue for them, with a youtube link as proof.

u7QO8
Adept II

RT is exclusively to nvidia in BFV, u have option to turn on, but u dont have the RT effect actually to AMD GPU.

As above, there are users who have uploaded youtube clips of BFV with RT turned on while using AMD cards so this can't be accurate.

0 Likes

it is accurate, u watch carefully and a demo from nivida, u see what RT on is look like, u can't see the same effect on AMD GPU. it is fact, it isn't about AMD GPU , it is true . as Nvidia own exclusive on RT in BFV and many games as well, like cyberpunk 2077

0 Likes

Incorrect. There are plenty of YouTube videos of people playing BFV with working ray tracing with AMD cards. Also I've played Cyberpunk 2077 with Ray tracing using my AMD card lol. 

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I too have played many games with Ray tracing on, including Cyberpunk 2077.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

RX 6800 XT | Battlefield 5 (V) - MAX Settings @ 4k, 1440p, 1080p [Ray Tracing On & Off] - YouTube

This individual does in fact have Ray tracing on.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Great video - and yet again it shows - why use RT. Not sure what to look for but I could not tell one from the other - on vs off. If its this hard to tell the difference then it is not worth it. The fps impact is severe. Put all on ultra and forget about RT !

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I am running an RX 6800 XT and when I had RT on in BFV it caused wierd artifacts. I only tried it once but yeah it was the only game that did that. 

andeRx6900xt
Adept I

On BF2042 when I activate the RTX I have FPS drops not all the time but I think it's because of the 22.5 drivers which are too old lol. I activate HBAOMAX on the Lights It's better than HBAO or RTX Everything heats up less and it's very pretty.

0 Likes
dazza_bo
Adept I

Hi, for what it's worth I thought I'd check out BFV for the first time in ages (probably a year or so) and the ray tracing now works fine with my 6950 XT. I guess one of AMD's driver updates fixed it in the last 12 months. Sorry for bumping such an old thread but thought it was worth the update.

0 Likes