cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Fureasies
Adept I

Random RX6900XT Flicker/artifact flashing

I get intermittent issues that seem like flickering, artifacting, and tearing on my monitor. These issues do no occur in 3D applications like games, but only in low-demand 2D applications such as chrome when nothing demanding is running, and the GPU is running at or around 25 MHz. Normal I'd associate issues like this with stability, but I have not done any overclocking, and it does not occur in games or when the GPU is under stress. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed in a future driver, but I'd like to know if this is a hardware issue so I can get an RMA going as soon as possible. Disabling 10bit mode, freesync mode and enchanted sync does not fix this problem

13 Replies
Fureasies
Adept I

System Configuration

Motherboard: Aorus X570 Ultra

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 1200W Titanium

Display: Samsung Odyssey G9 DP 1.4 (5120x1440 240Hz FreeSync 10bit mode)

System Memory: 32GB CL16 Dual Channel G.Skill 2x16gb @ 4000mhz ( F4-4000C16D-32GTZR )

GPU (VBIOS): Powercolor Red Devil RX 6900XT (BIOS: 113-D41201-XT )

OS (Version): Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (Version: 20H2 19042.844)

Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.3

Applications: Anywhere where is too much white or black on the background. Most of time it shows up in desktop while browsing internet

Background Apps: Brave browser or Google Chrome

Radeon Software Settings: 10BIT ON, Enhanced Sync ON, Freesync ON

Smart access memory is enabled

0 Likes

Video to my captured problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqmnamOp8Ic&feature=youtu.be

Same kind of problem what this video has https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nms_u...

And the long forum post of this kind of problem from previous GPU gen https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics...

But I have this kind of problem with only one screen

0 Likes

Same kind of problem what this video has https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nms_u...

And the long forum post of this kind of problem from previous GPU gen https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics...

But I have this kind of problem with only one screen

0 Likes

Someone here had same problem but with 2 monitors connected with Radeon VII card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nms_u1HJksM&t=0s

0 Likes
delevero
Adept III

I had a similar problem many years ago.
Try this maybe it can help you.

1). check that all monitor cables are installed 100% in both gpu and in the back of your monitor.. maybe its a tiny bit loose.
2). turn off your pc and disconnect the power cable.
3). disconnect all cables to your pc and lift you pc up on a table and lay it down so you can see your graphics card.
4). check your graphics card is insterted all the way.. On my own card it need to appy some presure until i hear it "click" and lock
     itself to the pcie card ( there is a small release button on the right side of the PCIE slot. Also make sure its all the way in in the left side of the pcie slot near the edge of the pc.  ( maybe the best would be to pull out your card and instert it again and do the above. ).

5). Check that you have two cables from your power supply (psu) to your grahpics card. Some users say two pcieE cables solved other problems for them, well maybe it work for your as well.

6). assembler your pc again and try.

7). A thing that everybody overlook is the HDMI or DVI cables... Be aware that HDMI cables are not just HCMI cables and some are "slower" than other and some are good quality and some are not.
So if you are trying to run your monitor at a high hz and you use an old HDMI cable then that can create problems sometimes or maybe result in things not working   ( so if you reused an old HDMI cable with a new monitor then that might be the problem). ( im not 100% sure but the new HDMI cable and connector on the back of the graphic card is maybe faster than a DP port... try to read up on that.. maybe switch the cable from DP to hdmi.
I see you have a monster of a screen Samsung Odyssey G9 DP 1.4 (5120x1440 240Hz FreeSync 10bit mode)
Try lowering the hz of the monitor and see if that help.. ( also you are using a VERY wide screen, maybe there is a bug or lack of optimization. maybe write a bug review in the radeon software about it )

0 Likes

I added third PCIE cable when I checked is my GPU at bottom in PCIE-line, it was, nothing solved yet. I have 2 different DP cables and both are doing the same scrap. Maybe I will try DDU. Disabling freesync, enchanted sync, 10bit color mode and lowering monitor to 120hz wont solve the problem. 

0 Likes
botelhorichard
Journeyman III

I'm having the exact same issue curious if you've had any luck?;

Build Specs

MoBo - MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi Arsenal
CPU -AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU - PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Red Devil 16GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB Kit (4 x 8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 CL18
PSU - Corsair 850W Professional Series HX850i

0 Likes
erickgruis
Adept I

I have the exact some issue!  I've been hoping for some fix to come along in the kernel updates.  I'm now on 5.15 and it's still the same.

I do use this PC for ETH mining and I've found that when I'm loading the GPU with mining, the problem completely disappears!  I always thought I borked my system slightly when I installed the amdgpu-pro packages for openCL but clearly it's more than that.

I'm running Asus Crosshair Hero Dark with a 3950X.  I had the same issue with the GPU on a previous ASUS board as well so I don't think it's a hardware problem.  Also, I dual boot to Win10 and there is zero issue there.

0 Likes
xeno002
Journeyman III

I have a similar issue, and only on the 2nd screen.
Main monitor is connected via DP, and the 2nd via HDMI.

It happened now the 2nd time.
After a reboot it is fine, but it starts again after 24h windows uptime.

I will try to see, if I have loose cables or something, but I doubt it.

c0A9zqe

0 Likes
PallStar
Journeyman III

The part that worries me in all this is the common processor generation. (except for the one with the 3000 series... but that still might be related) I am using a 5950x and I am having these strange artifacts where lights are present in the screen. Lights flare, stripes of colors sometimes shoots when there is a brighter color passing on the screen... I am wondering if this might be related to SmartAccess Memory settings. I will be doing a DDU and also turning off SAM to see if that changes anything. I will give my updates once I check this out.

0 Likes

Hi

I have this to. Is only solution to get Nvidia GPU?

I have 4 screens in total so this makes artifact problems to big for me. 

0 Likes

So, as an update, this is what I did, and it worked for me.

First, I downloaded both the latest driver (not the WHQL version) and the latest version of DDU. I rebooted into safe mode and unplugged from the internet. I stayed off the internet until I was done, as I think Windows injected junk drivers originally. I ran DDU. After that was done, I went back into regular, mind you, still disconnected from the internet since I didn't want it to download any Radeon drivers from MS. I then ran the installer. After that was done, I rebooted and then reconnected to the internet. I went into Adrenalin and into Performance/Tuning and made sure nothing was overclocking or undervolting. I actually kept SAM active. And now since yesterday doing it, I haven't had any artifacting in desktop or even games. It's running stable here now. The problem seems like it is the WHQL drivers that install from Windows Update.
And to @danwo, sorry man, no space for me to go back to nVidia any time soon. If that's your only solution, good luck.