cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

razzleberry
Journeyman III

Random PC Crashes and Black screen on main monitor

I've been having issues with my new PC build since I built it about 2 months ago, and I'm not really sure where to start with troubleshooting. I figured it was a drivers issue that would be updated, but after the most recent drivers update, I'm just seeing different issues.

Typically the issues occur when I have more than one task running at a time. I'll have a game running on my main monitor and either a video or chat program running on the other. Randomly, my PC will reboot; no bsod, no errors, the entire thing just shuts down and starts itself back up.

What I've tried:
Updating drivers. This has seemed to do nothing.
I checked my Windows Event logs. The error is simply that the system shutdown unexpectedly
I've tried removing all hardware and putting it back together to verify everything is seated properly, that didn't seem to help.

More recently (about 20 minutes ago), I had my main monitor go black. This was not a flash of black followed by a recovery, the display was still lit up, but nothing was being shown; it also did not say there was no input to the monitor, so the computer seemed aware of the display, the graphics card just wasn't pushing an image. I could see that the applications were still running from my second monitor, so the game that was running did not crash. Shutting down everything that was running on the main screen did not fix anything, so I had to do a hard reboot. This brought the display back immediately.

Overall, this tends to happen when I'm multi-tasking on my machine and playing a video game, which shouldn't be an issue. This has happened primarily while playing World of Warcraft (both retail Battle for Azeroth and Classic). It generally happens around 5 times a week, though I have also had it happen 3 times in a single day.

My PC specs are as follows:

X570 Aorus Ultra
Ryzen 7 3700X
PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 3600MHz CL16
Windows 10
Latest drivers.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?

1 Reply

First I would suggest you run DDU from wagnardsoft_com. Read the instructions and then re-install the latest AMD driver. 

If that does not help then:

Check your hard disk for errors. This is a great reference on how to do this if you are unfamiliar: Disk Error Checking: How to run CHKDSK in Windows 10 

The check the operating system for errors. How to: System File Checker: Run sfc /scannow in Windows 10

Make sure you don't have malware. I would suggest running Malwarebytes and checking the system.

While you mentioned you have updated drivers I would want to make sure that is both the GPU drivers and the latest Chipset drivers plus the latest Bios for you motherboard.

Also make sure your memory is using the timings it is supposed to for your ram. Using memory from the QVL list meaning approved for your mother board is the best way to go as it is usually auto set properly.

Other memory may need to have the timings set manually or be unstable altogether. 

From there I would try one memory stick at a time and make sure you have them installed in the preferred slots in the motherboard. Check you manual for where to install if you already did not.

Try one at a time, if it is memory issue you should be able to tell quickly if the stability is better with one over the other. 

You can also run a test with some free software called OCCT from OCBASE_COM that can test GPU and Power Supply for issues.

From there if you have an older GPU you laying around you can try to see if that helps the stability. Not a long term fix obviously but just to test if maybe the issue is the GPU. 

If you don't have a quality power supply and or enough power for what you are trying to run in your system this really is the most common area for causing system instability. Not sure what you have as you did not give those specs. 

Know that you are certainly not the only one having stability issues with the  RX 5700 XT. If you have tried the above and nothing helps I highly suggest you contact AMD Support and the Support departments of who made your Motherboard and GPU for help. AMD ticket: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Good Luck!

0 Likes