cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

bcm
Adept I

Random freezing/restarts with AMD rx570

I have been having a lot of issues with my graphics card when playing games including the drivers crash and kick me out of the game, everything completely freezes and I have to shut down the computer, and the computer just turns off and restarts. All of these seem to happen completely randomly.

Computer:
- Intel Core i7-2600k
- AMD RX570
- Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4GX 9905403-198.A00LF KHX1600C9D3/4GX 9905403-198.A00LF16GB Ram
- Asus P8P67 REV 3.1 motherboard
- Evga 500b power supply

Things I have tried:
- Reinstall graphics card drivers
- Turn off fast startup
- Update windows and drivers
- Turned off freesync
- Increase voltage in tuning
- Increase power tuning
- set all AMD driver settings to factory default (this is what I have right now so the tuning stuff isn't active)

- used a DDU to uninstall drivers then reinstalled

- reapplying thermal paste to GPU (might have helped a bit because they seem to happen less often

- uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers

- removing all duplicate hidden devices in device manager.

Games like Terraria and Minecraft seem to be unaffected and after doing everything above Assasin's creed origins seem to run fine as well. GTA5, *Warframe, Just Cause 4, Hitman 2, and Rainbow Six Siege all still have problems though.
Using CPUID HWMONITOR and AMD's built-in monitor's voltage and temperature doesn't look like it affects the issues.

*Got Warframe fixed by verifying the cache every time I play.

1 Solution
bcm
Adept I

After trying a bunch of different combinations of cables and adapters without any luck I'm just going to return it. I've put an old 1050 ti in instead and literally every single problem I've been having is gone. It's kind of an unsatisfying answer but I guess this is what warranties are for. 

View solution in original post

19 Replies

are you setting the power limit on the card to +50. If not set it to its max and see if that helps.

0 Likes

Yes sorry that is what I meant when I said "Increase power tuning." Unfortunately it didn't work.

rock32
Adept II

What are your Windows version and Radeon software version?

0 Likes

I have Windows 10 (Version 1909) and Radeon 20.5.1

0 Likes
bcm
Adept I

Ok, I found this thread (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/898055-black-screen-gpu-fans-at-full-speed-crash-fixed/) where the guy was having the same problem as me. I looked at my GPU and replaced the thermal paste. So far I've had no freezing or black screen crashes though it's hard to tell because I could just be on a lucky streak. Still having problems with my AMD drivers crashing though, I might have to wait till an update comes out to fix that part. 

0 Likes

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing the crashes.  

bcm
Adept I

Ok just as an update I'm fairly sure I found the problem. Using these sites Power Supply Calculator – PSU Wattage Calculator | NeweggPower Supply Calculator - PSU Calculator | OuterVision, I found that I'm pushing my power supply right to its max (Rx 570 uses like 100 more watts then my old GTX 960) so I'm gonna order a new power supply and hope it works. It might take a while to get here because of certain viruses.

0 Likes

One more way you can do is decreasing the limit power, down to -20% ~ -10%, and increase the fan speed.
It worked for me. No need to change the PSU, but the performance will be affected a little bit. Keep the temperature between 60-70 *C at the full-load is the best way to stable your GPU.
I found out that when I'm at the full-load and when I do nothing (idle), the fan speed did not change too much (about 1200 rpm). So I have to edit the fan curve in the Radeon software tunning.

Changing the power limit does not decrease required voltage. It only changes the power ceiling that is dynamic and only used when needed anyway. Many cards that come with factory overclocks need a raised power limit to be stable. So you would need to lower the actual voltage more than the power limit to use less power from the power supply. Chips however are designed to operate between power levels. Just like overpowering them, under powering the chips can reduce chip life too. As the OP pointed out there are other cards at that performance level that run on less power. Both from green team and in the Navi lineup.

The temperature as you point out is very important to the stability of the Polaris chips. While they claim the limit is 95, my experience is that they start to become very unstable around 74. 

I should add that when you are pushing that power supply to it's limits you are not just causing an issue for the GPU. You are likely making all components unstable. If I were you I would just get a new supply. I would look for a 650 watt 80 plus gold at a minimum. Some will tell you to get something much higher. I am not a big believer in getting way over your needs. About 100 watts over requirements is usually plenty, if it is a good unit. 

Ok, I've put a new power supply in (Smart BX1 750w) and I'm still getting the restart errors. If I change the power tuning to be +50 I get crashes from games where they just stall then crash but the computer doesn't restart (They show up on the event viewer as id 1000). It's hard to tell if these errors are replacing the restarts or they are just happening before the restarts have a chance to happen. At this point I might just return the graphics card and get a different one.

0 Likes
bcm
Adept I

Ok, there is still hope! Just found another thread (https://community.amd.com/message/2897380?commentID=2897380#comment-2897380) with similar issues saying that the adapters can be a problem. I did have to use a new adapter with the new graphics card so it may be the answer. I'll have to do some testing. 

bcm
Adept I

After trying a bunch of different combinations of cables and adapters without any luck I'm just going to return it. I've put an old 1050 ti in instead and literally every single problem I've been having is gone. It's kind of an unsatisfying answer but I guess this is what warranties are for. 

Glad to hear you fixed your issue. Many others come to the same conclusion. Bottom line is glad you can play a game and not spend all your time trying to get a card to work right. 

0 Likes

i have the same problem i thought im the only one. I tried everything, Im still having the same problem when playing high intensive game like gta 5 but no problem in cs go, dota 2, cod warzone maybe you should try to replace the thermal pads  mine is on shipping this week and i notice that my thermal pads look like melting or a chewing gum.

0 Likes
rock32
Adept II

Yes.

All the solution could not last for a long time

The reason caused the black screen is you and I are black (unlucky).

I think so, the final answer is saying goodbye to red team and coming to green team.

0 Likes
s1npur1ty
Journeyman III

I am facing exactly the same problem here. When playing 2d games, I see random glitches over some time and when I play AAA games like Counter Strike, sometimes all my 3 monitors change from color into random blue/white colors and nothing else is happening. I just encountered a new problem and that is that my screens are flashing out of no reason sometimes and this time my whole Windows OS 10 did restart after crashing too. Very frustrating...

Hello, I just come here to fix my error, and it's not like the same way, but when I play games like: Red Dead Redemption 2, Sims 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, my pc gets freezed, when I turn off and turn on my monitor, my monitor turns green, and my mouse and keyboard, are not working. I just have bought my new GPU 3 months ago, and I have not found a solution, it freezes with OpenGL, Directx 9/10/11/12, same as Vulkan, I can't even play LEGO games. I've made some steps to do it, but didn't work. It's just get in safe mode, and with DDU uninstall the drivers, and install again, I have been in other forums, but i have not found a working solution, all I just can do, it's play... but waiting until it freezes. 

0 Likes
Aldibe
Journeyman III

Had the same issue this week. I realized it started when I updated the driver to 21.10.2 earlier this month, then my PC started randomly restarting, sometimes a minute after booting, sometimes after like 4-5hr of gaming, like there's no clear indication of whats wrong. temp seems normal as well (GPU only reach 70-ish). I tested every component as well, nothing is wrong. I tried the latest optional version as well (21.11.3), and still getting the random restarts. Currently downgrading back to 21.5.2, and it seems to be working fine now. I'm turning off the automatic update for now just in case.
Computer :
- Ryzen 5 3600
- PowerColor Radeon RX570
- B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard
- Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GB x 2
- PSU Super Flower Leadex Gold 550w
- WD Blue SSD

0 Likes