Motherboard: MSI z370 SLI

CPU: Intel i5-8400, 6 Core, 2.81GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: XFX AMD RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB

VBIOS: 113-58085SHB1-W91

Driver: 19.1.1

PSU: EVGA 80+ 600W

Display: LG 4K IPS FreeSync Monitor

Hi guys, I recently changed to an AMD card but I am having some issues. My screen randomly flashes black for about a second, before continuing to operate normally. Sometimes it flashes multiple times in a row or in quick succession. There is no specific cause or game, it has happened in Dota 2, CS:GO, and LoL.

All the hardware was used without problem with my previous graphics card, a PNY GTX 1060 6GB. This problem has only arisen since swapping to the AMD card. I did reinstall Windows when I did this hardware swap (for an unrelated reason).

Any ideas on what's causing it? I did turn off FreeSync which seems to have reduced the rate at which it occurs, but doesn't entirely remove it (and it may just be coincidence). Is my PSU too low now? I have heard AMD cards take more power. I also notice the fans spin quite intensely when I game -- again, I have heard AMD cards run hotter as well, so I am just making sure its not the cause.

0 Likes
3 Replies

I see the same thing, sometimes a permanent Black Screen and Audio Buzz and PC Freeze  also running AMD R9 280x -> R9 FuryX/Nano -> RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU's.

These are the same:

Driver: 19.1.1

My machines specs are mostly:CPU i7-4790K Watercooled 4 core 8 thread running at stock clocks and all PSU are Corsair AX1200i or above.

I run FreeSync but it makes no difference.
Happens on various games, for years.

Bye.

0 Likes

All the 480's and 580's do this. The default power ceiling is to low in the default settings. You will likely need to do 2 things. Set you power limit to 50 in wattman and set a custom fan curve. The power limit alone will help but likely some games will still throttle. So doing both will likely make is rock solid. I have the exact same card btw, had mine over a year. My settings, hope it helps:

talmar
Journeyman III

It's weird but I manage to fix this at least for me by using a different port for the DP.  I was initially using the DP nearest the bottom and was getting random black screen.  Lowering clocks and increasing fan help a bit but this is not what I paid for.  Anyways, I just moved to the top most DP and I'm not experiencing the black screen even with OC+.  

0 Likes