cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

khun_doug
Elite

Radeon VII Wattman Overclock

I have the Asus Radeon VII. After doing some experimenting with different games and Unigine benchmark, I'm getting confusing results. With Unigine and lots and lots of play time in Forza Horizon 4 I have my R7 overclocked at 1901 Mhz / 1116 mV. The card is behaving fine and appears stable. However, using those settings in Project Cars 2, the card consistently crashes. After multiple tests and a more play time I determined that for PC2 I can use 1870 Mhz / 1080 mV. And I also notice that PC2 makes the R7 run hotter. I am copying these latter settings to Asetto Corsa but they have not gotten the amount of testing that was put in with PC2.

I know PC2 is DX11 while FH4 is DX12 (from what I read). Is that enough to explain the difference in settings and card performance? What other factors can be at play to allow one game to run a higher clock while another game needs a lower clock?

The PC is using an I7-6850K with 64GB RAM. The power supply is EVGA Supernova 850. The primary display is an AOC AGON at 2560x1440 display, FreeSync. I am using Adrenalin 19.3.1, and Windows 10 build 1809.

0 Likes
2 Replies

I'm having Crashing Issues only in 4K with only a couple different games.  I don't believe its a Temp issue, and I know it's not a power issue now since I just installed a new PSU.  It's gotta be a driver issue.  

0 Likes

Curious you mention about heat. I neglected to mention the fun curve I use since I don't know how relevant it is. But In my case I have the curve set somewhat aggressive. I always figure that cooler is better when it comes to solid state and electronics. While using FH4 I see temps that stay below 100C, and actually below 90C. But in PC2, even with an aggressive fan curve AND the lower frequency and power, I was seeing temps 109C. In the game there is a frame limiter and I set it to 100 FPS. The R7 still ran with 100C and higher temps. But in Adrenalin I used the FPS control and set it to 100 FPS and the R7 was much cooler. That leads me to wonder if there is a bug in PC2 where it is ignoring the FPS limiter, or could there be a driver issue where even with the reduced FPS the R7 is still doing something. I'm glad the Adrenalin limiter worked as I am uncomfortable with the R7 running for potentially extended periods at 100C and higher.

0 Likes