cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Radeon VII Video Decode and Encode Quality STILL TERRIBLE

I have changed and used recommended settings even tried updated Codecs and nothing fixes this issue, Watching Videos on Youtube even shows the terrible Decode Quality.  Encoding is still not fixed and is worse than the Decode Quality.  I use 6mbps and 1080/60 for Streaming and it's just horrendous.  Is there anyone who has found a fix yet?  

0 Likes
8 Replies
jellemees
Adept II

Try 720p/60 if you are limited to 6Mbit. 6Mbit is not enough for good quality on 1080p. Not unless you have a dedicated encoding machine with CPU encoding. 

This is an upscaled 1080p video, recorded with AMD GPU encoding, but on a higher bitrate:

Battlefield 1 + All DLC's for less then 10€ - YouTube 

So no it's not terrible. Some streamingservices like Twitch are just limiting bitrates like it's 2009 instead of 2019.

And before you think 720p/60 will look bad, it really doesn't:

Twitch 

0 Likes

To Hardcoregames, I haven't tried that yet, may give it a whirl later.  To Jellemees, I used to have no issues streaming in 1080p/60/6mbps with my RX-480.  Quality was better than the Radeon VII, I will have to pull up some of my old videos, maybe I just didn't see it before.  Maybe i'm just crazy lol.  I'll have to check.  I play in 1440p/2160p depending on game, but stream in lower resolutions. 

0 Likes

jellemees wrote:

Try 720p/60 if you are limited to 6Mbit. 6Mbit is not enough for good quality on 1080p. Not unless you have a dedicated encoding machine with CPU encoding. 

This is an upscaled 1080p video, recorded with AMD GPU encoding, but on a higher bitrate:

Battlefield 1 + All DLC's for less then 10€ - YouTube 

So no it's not terrible. Some streamingservices like Twitch are just limiting bitrates like it's 2009 instead of 2019.

And before you think 720p/60 will look bad, it really doesn't:

Twitch 

Twitch is deplorable for bad video quality. MSI Afterburner uses MJPEG and I transcode that with Handbrake into the native Youtube format H.264 which seems to be widely supported

0 Likes

GPU video encoding tends to be poorly implemented

this is why I grabbed a R5 2400G which is faster than my old Phenom X4 and it can handle video jobs much faster

0 Likes

I’m using a 1700 overclocked to 3.7GHz, and I e even tried software encoding.  Nothing seems to help.  I don’t believe I had this issue with my RX-480

0 Likes

what are you using for an encoder?

handbrake is fairly good and it's free

0 Likes

Is this going to be useful while streaming?  I’ve tried OBS and Relive and get the same shitty results.  

0 Likes

I use MSI afterburner to capture game video

see my videos on youtube for some games I posted

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgmixPFLO2u4ficCWNgzSWA

0 Likes