cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hanoobken
Adept I

Radeon VII sudden performance degradation

I noticed today that my Radeon VII suddenly got small stutters while playing Division 2.  I ran the benchmark and I saw that my GPU usage dropped significantly.  My PowerColor Radeon VII runs stock at 1802Mhz@1055mV.  I've been running my card undervolted and slightly overclocked ever since I got it at 1856MHz@990mV.  GPU temps peak at around 70C on average and Junction temps peak at around 98C.  It's been really stable ever since on every game I play.  I don't know what's going on but everything is just slow now.  At stock everything is even worse.  GPU usage in The Division 2 drops to 64% on average.  I feel the performance drop in every game I play.

I have uninstalled/re-installed drivers for both the card 19.5.2 and the AMD X470 chipsets.  No good.

I'm still running windows 1803 and it updated yesterday to a newer version of still 1803.  Can't update to anything more recent.

I also recently downloaded and installed the latest X470 Chipset drivers from AMD.  I reverted back to the previous version since.  No change in performance.

Desperately need advice.  Thanks in advance.

Ryzen 5 2600 - stock
MSI X470 Gaming Pro
GSkill Ripjaws V 16GB 2x8GB 3200Mhz F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
PowerColor Radeon VII
FSP Hydro G 850W Gold
MSI Optix MAG321CQR 1440p 144Hz
Windows 10 Pro

1 Solution
hanoobken
Adept I

I found the culprit to be Rainmeter.  Something in the Windows update caused it to severely affect performance where it didn't before.  I thought it was just the GPU but when I ran Cinebench R15 I found it affected the performance of everything else as well.  I have since uninstalled it and everything is back to as it should be.  After several hours of troubleshooting and scratching my head, I can say this this has been resolved.  Thank you to anyone who may have attempted to answer this ridiculous question.  Good day.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
br0k3n
Journeyman III

Dang, that's a really nice rig.
Look, have you consider downloading another ver. of the amd driver? I literally had this issue today when i updated my drivers to 19.5.2, so I just uninstalled it and installed 19.4.1 instead. Consider a try on that, maybe it'll work for you too. Good luck. 

Thanks mate.  I haven't thought of that.  Truth is, everything was fine with 19.5.2 until that Windows update hit.  I like having a fancy looking desktop so Rainmeter really spiced things up.  Little did I know that something in the update made it screw with my system.  When I was hitting waaay below my usual numbers in Cinebench. only then did it occur to me to turn off programs running in the background, including Wallpaper engine and Rainmeter.  While Wallpaper engine has a very minor impact, turning off Rainmeter fixed everything.  I'm not sure if any other people get this problem but I hope it helps.

0 Likes
hanoobken
Adept I

I found the culprit to be Rainmeter.  Something in the Windows update caused it to severely affect performance where it didn't before.  I thought it was just the GPU but when I ran Cinebench R15 I found it affected the performance of everything else as well.  I have since uninstalled it and everything is back to as it should be.  After several hours of troubleshooting and scratching my head, I can say this this has been resolved.  Thank you to anyone who may have attempted to answer this ridiculous question.  Good day.

Nice to hear you found the problem and solved. Really not stupid at all, maybe a few people will/are having the same issue, they might stumble around here. Bless.