cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ryeloc
Adept II

Radeon VII Stuttering Sometimes

Issue Description: Sometimes when I load games (ex. Sea of Thieves / Division 2) the memory on my Radeon VII spikes up and down. Goes from 350mhz, 850mhz, 1000mhz, back to 350. The game will noticeably stutter when it shows this. I'm seeing these numbers through the Radeon Overlay Performance Monitoring. You can restart the game usually to resolve the issue and the memory will clock up and stay at 1000. Not sure what's causing this issue. I've tried to switch from fullscreen to windowed and back but doesn't seem to matter. All of my games I set the to be unlimited. I'm usually seeing about 90-120FPS, but it will noticably stutter. Also when the memory is at 350, the power consumption goes down as well. The fans seem to need to run less and also the card runs cooler than usual.

Hardware:
Graphics card: Radeon VII (purchased directly from AMD)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Drive1: Samsung - 970 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD
Drive2: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 SSD
Drive3: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" SSD
PSU: Corsair HX850i Platnium + Type 3 Cables
Monitor 1: LG 32" 32GK650F 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case: Corsair - Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case

Software:
Windows 10 64 bit 1809
Radeon Software Version: 19.3.3
Latest UEFI BIOS from AMD flashed
Motherboard BIOS: 7B79vA9

0 Likes
4 Replies
coreytv
Adept I

Try disabling discord overlay and discord hardware acceleration.

I disabled those today and no issues thus far. Will continue to test but so far so good. Thanks for the suggestion.

khun_doug
Elite

A few things come to mind. First, would you check your motherboard specs to determine if the SSDs you are using are competing with the lanes to the GPU. Most people put the GPU in the first slot. Some motherboards share the lanes for that slot with the SSD controller. It would worth looking at to see if you are losing lanes to the GPU. That being said, I doubt that losing lanes to the GPU are what is causing this problem, but it deserves a look.

A few other things to consider. Do you have a spare cable to go between the GPU and the monitor? It could be you are having connectivity issues to the monitor, causing the game to drop to a lower frame rate, and you see the whole thing as stuttering. A cable swap would eliminate the cable. Another thing, less likely but worth asking, is what antivirus are you using? I have seen antivirus take control of files and folders for scanning, causing some slowdown but the slowdown would clear after the virus scanner was done. You might try using the exemptions option to omit the game folder or folders. Another factor to consider is a network latency issue. The first run of a game might look for some type of updates. If there are updates and they are slow to load, that might cause the game to lag. After the initial run the following runs would not exhibit the latency.

0 Likes

Looked at the Motherboard specs and according to MSI it doesn't interfere with the PCI-E Lanes of the card. GPU-Z also shows the Radeon VII as x16 lanes. I can try another cable I have a brand new one but the one I have seems fine. I will try that if I continue to have issues. I don't run any AntiVirus software or Anti Malware. As a CCNP and work professionally as a network engineer for a enterprise cable provider I know this is absolutely not network latency. The framerate drops from 110FPS to 40-50 instantly. Doesn't seem to matter where you are, just dramatically drops and comes back up.

I've disabled the settings coreytv pointed out and haven't had any further issues yet.