cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

shadowrulerx
Adept II

Re: Radeon VII problems

Hmm i have no idea then, thats the only thing that i could think of. Unless the gpu is just faulty

Keep in mind every Radeon VII is different, they all clock differently and have different voltages stock.  Keep trying to under volt and see if it helps.  Keep the Clocks Stock, and undervol down to like 950mv, and go up incrementally.  Keep your Junction Temps under 90.  I use MSI Afterburner, but you may have something different.  Wattman is useless at this stage.  It'll get better but for now I would stay away from it. 

shadowrulerx
Adept II

It seems if i even try to go under 1065 i crash immediately. Are you using LLC on your OC?

0 Likes

For my CPU? No I keep it stock, Only thing I did was manually change the Voltage and the Clock.  I have never got LLC to work correctly.  

shadowrulerx
Adept II

Well the strange thing is after i put my cpu to stock i have stress tested for 8 hours now and no crash. But it was weird because the hard lock/crash would happen randomly. The most recent was when i was just on the desktop and came back from bathroom and pc restarted. I check my event logs and it doesnt give any info on why it shut down. I had a GTX 1080 before this card and i was at 3.8ghz cpu OC and never once did i crash. Thats why im wondering if its my CPU OC or the GPU UV/OC. So right now im testing if it still crashes with cpu at stock settings

I wouldn't believe it's your CPU Clock, I'm running higher than the Boost Clock overclocked, you're not.  So I doubt that is the issue.  Are you OCing your RAM?  I've had issues going over on my ram and too tight of timings.  but that's about it.  I never use Prime 95 to determine if my PC is stable, I use cinebench, If it locks up, back er down lol.  I would set your Radeon VII to 1800 Core and 1000 Memory at 1000mv and see if that helps, then back it down on the Voltage slowly until it crashes and then go up a notch.  

0 Likes
khun_doug
Elite

I haven't tried MSI Afterburner on my EVGA motherboard. I know I tried one software that was supposed to allow me to tweak the GPU but wouldn't even open. I have had success with HWInfo64 and GPU-Z to get information that isn't available in Wattman. But I'm not writing off Wattman. I find it a useful tool when dealing with different settings for different games and even some software that use OpenCL. Each game gets its own settings and they are applied automatically when the game opens. And for adjusting the clock/voltage and even the fan for Radeon VII, Wattman is a great tool.

As for clock/voltage, I was running 1870 at 1113 mV but eventually that rendered the black screens of death. Just bumping the voltage to 1119 stopped the crashes. There is a spreadsheet on another site where people are listing their clocks and voltages. The numbers are all over the place. It appears the Radeon VII is really not a one size fits everyone device. Some people went all the way to 2000 MHz. I haven't been able to get anything that will stay stable that is over 1870 MHz. But 1870 yields a better benchmark than the stock 1801 MHz so I am pleased.

shadowrulerx
Adept II

Well the only reason i say that is because coincidentally this all started after i got my randeon vii and bumped my OC up to 3.9ghz at 1.375v. So im just trying to cut some stuff out of the equation.

shadowrulerx
Adept II

Yea i thought i was stable at 1900mhz and 1100 on memory with 1095mV but not too sure anymore. Just so tired of all the crashes haha

Honestly, I see no need to Overclock this card.  I know it can be done, but I don't see too much of a performance Gain.  I run everything maxed in 1440p no problem at stock, and some games at 4K no problem after turning things like DoF off and shadows down.  Those are the two most taxing things on a GPU.  I believe those are your issues, is the overclock hitting Junction Temp and it throttles, and then Black Screens.  That was my issue.  Once EK releases their water block and some other do thing will be entirely different.  As far as Wattman, yes it is a useful program, but even AMD acknowledges issues with it and are wokring on fixes.  

0 Likes