Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

artavasdes
Adept I

Radeon VII Low FPS

I recently had finished building a system with the following specs:

MB- Supermicro X9dri-f

Ram- 128gb 1866mhz 8 sticks samsung

cpu- dual e5-2667v2 clocked at 3.8 ghz (watercooled)

GPU- Power Color Radeon VII

I play games such as Rainbow Six Siege, Division 2 and Minecraft. Benchmarks say that I am experiencing 50-60% worse performance. For example, i run at an average 130 FPS in Rainbow Six Siege at maxed out settings, benchmarks say that I am supposed to be getting 0ver 240 FPS! In Division 2, I get around 50 FPS without DX 11 and 60 FPS with D30 fps DX12 at maxed out settings. I run minecraft at a pathetic 230 FPS with maxed settings and when I turn on shaders I get around 30 FPS. I tested the radeon vii on another system of mine the specs as follows-

MB: z270 TUF

CPU: i3-7100

RAM: 8gb @ 2666mhz

I got a similar FPS in Rainbow Six Siege as I did on the original computer. I do not know if this is a defect or a bad hardware pair up.

I appreciate any help, thanks!

P.S- all the games were @ 1080p

0 Likes
34 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Go to Userbenchmark and test your hardware.
The avarage result for Radeon-VII is as follows.
Annotation 2019-10-03 045525.png
If your GPU is close to this result, there is bottleneck problem.

Thanks for the fast response, I will make sure to do that once I get on the computer this Saturday.

0 Likes

UserBenchmarks: Game 100%, Desk 96%, Work 94%
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2 - 70.1%
GPU: AMD Radeon-VII - 107.6%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 2TB - 118.6%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 264.8%
RAM: Samsung M393B2G70DB0- 5x16GB - 85.6%
MBD: Penguin Icebreaker 4824

That is what I got.

0 Likes

Your processor is too weak. You should purchase a processor according to your GPU.

Annotation 2019-10-05 191539.png
This processor is for servers. You need to use something that is strong in its single core.
Using 2k resolution will reduce your performance loss. The problem for 1080p is bottleneck.

Annotation 2019-10-05 192136.png
I have a 14nm processor and I use OC like you. Single-core performance difference is 50%. (148 Pts for me, 100 for you for 1-core score)

0 Likes

Thanks! Is there any gpu that won't get bottlenecked by the e5-2667v2 I currently I have? Maybe like a RTX 2060 or RTX 2070?

0 Likes

You're welcome! Your GPU can display around 100FPS with 1080p resolution for the latest AAA games. But it is not possible for your processor to provide this FPS value. Your processor is not suitable for new games for your GPU.

0 Likes

Is it possible to pair an older gpu or cheaper one, say a 2060 and get the same FPS or little to no change?

0 Likes

If you follow this way, you will only reduce system bottleneck rate. Your performance will not improve.

0 Likes

And the answer to your question is yes. nVidia GTX 1660 Ti is suitable for your processor. 2060 is a high GPU for your CPU.

0 Likes

Thank you, will I get similar FPS as I am getting now with the 1660 ti or any other gpu, maybe the 5700xt?

0 Likes

5700 XT is very powerful. The answer to your question is no.  With high GPUs, your CPU is not suitable.

0 Likes

Ok, I really appreciate the help, what gpus would you recommend to get the best FPS possible considering the bottleneck from the gpu?

0 Likes

You're welcome. If I were you, I'd get a 4k monitor with FreeSync support if you have a monetary situation. Playing games with 4k will turn your bottleneck rate into GPU and give you a very good gaming experience. You love your processor very much and don't ever think about replacing it.

0 Likes

It took me four months to get it all working, lol. So if I get a 4k monitor, I will get similar frames and the cpu won't bottleneck?

0 Likes

If you use 4k resolution and appropriate graphics settings, you will get 4k experience and maybe you'll get lower FPS. The answer to your question is no. On the contrary... GPU will suffer from bottleneck for 4k.

0 Likes

Thanks, what well priced 4k gaming monitor do you recommend?

0 Likes

Radeon VII GPU has average 50-60FPS for 4k for high details. Your CPU provides this FPS. So...

A monitor with 4k resolution 60Hz and DP-FreeSync support is preferable. I don't want to share a brand.

0 Likes

Okay, thank you, I really appreciate the help!

You are wellcome... 4K display is very detailed. If possible, you need 32 inch or higher......

0 Likes

I still have a question, if the cpu is running at a decent 3.6 ghz, how is it bottlenecking. Also, if the cpu is bottlenecking the FPS, why is games like Division 2 do I get FPS around 60 and in Rainbow Six Siege I get around 150-210 sometimes?

0 Likes

Game optimizations bring your processor to over 60.

0 Likes

If I run it at 4k,will i still get around 60fps? Also, all the games I am running are at maxed out settings.

0 Likes

With the corect graphics settings (sometimes medim sometimes ultra according to game), you'll get a gaming experience of 40-60FPS or more. Your processor and graphics card will not likely fall below 40FPS.

0 Likes

At the same settings that I am getting 60 FPS at 1080p, I am supposed to be getting 120! Why is this so? Isn't it a FPS bottleneck, so how come this is happening.

0 Likes

The FPS you get in games usually depends on two things.
1) The FPS that the processor gave you.
2) The FPS that the graphics card gave you.
So... You cannot get over 60 FPS while your processor is delivering 60FPS for a game.
But if you use 4k, the situation changes.
Your processor and graphics card will give close FPS values.
You will not have a bottleneck problem and you will get 4k gaming experience. 
My friend, this is the case. So you're asking very similar questions and are you messing with me?

You have an old high-level server processor. An ordinary person does not give this processor money. What do you want to learn?

0 Likes

Sorry if I am bugging you, I am just having trouble understanding why. I really do appreciate the help. I wanted to know whether the cpu locks out at a certain FPS for every game. For example if the cpu can give say 120 FPS on Rainbow Six Siege, why can't in Division 2 it get 120 FPS. But I am starting to understand. I might get a 4K monitor or a new gpu and swap the radeon vii for another gpu. Below is the benchmark for Rainbow Six Siege @ 4k. I wanted to ask one more thing, is it possible that a bad memory channel in the first cpu be causing this issue? Because through testing I have concluded that one of the memory channels is broken. Anyways, I am really thankful for the help!

Screenshot (35).png

0 Likes

That's the problem. You don't use DDR4 and your processor's L3 buffer is slow. This is why your processor cannot perform.

0 Likes

Ahhh, so it is the ddr3 that is bottlenecking, not only the cpu. I didn't think that there would have been a big difference in performance between ddr3 and ddr4 (except the speed which I also didn't think would've had a big impact).

0 Likes

Not only DDR4. Your processor probably offers lower L3 dimension for per core, and these L3s have lower speeds.

0 Likes

Thanks for the help, any 4k monitor you can recommend?

0 Likes

Some of 4k monitors are seriously expensive. So instead of investing a lot of money for 4k monitor, new CPU+DDR4+Mobo comes cheaper. I think choosing a monitor in $400-500 range is correct. You should get a 4k monitor with an IPS panel and DP-FreeSync support. Monitor selection varies from user to user. It wouldn't be right for me to write a brand model.

0 Likes

Ok, I really do appreciate the help. Also, the reason I dont want to change the cpu and all that is because I run servers on it and I also do a lot of multi threaded tasks.