cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

skyesofrock
Adept II

Radeon VII forced reboot after black screen, during games

I'm seeing the posts about the black screen bug that appears to be plaguing the Radeon VII drivers, but has anyone experienced a sudden reboot when this happens? I'm trying to work out what might be causing it, given my system *should* be operating correctly.

What happens is, during some games, my screen will freeze for a second, display is suddenly lost, audio continues for another couple seconds then stops, then the system simply reboots itself. I'm not certain this is a driver issue, but would like to hear from anyone who's had this too. If you have, it'd be great to know what the specs of your machine are too; the comparison might help diagnose the issue.

Most recent game that had this issue was Battlefront 2 2017 after maybe 80 minutes of gameplay; unlocked framerate, ultra settings so it would have been running at full capacity. This has happened across several driver versions, but is still happening on the latest 20.1.1 driver. Not sure when it started.

My rig:
- Ryzen 7 3700X
- Sapphire Radeon VII @ stock clock/voltage* (1075mV)
- 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 @ 3200MHz
- ASUS B450-Plus TUF Gaming
- EVGA G3 750

* I have tried undervolting to 960mV which was stable for a while, then the black screen started happening and I assumed it wasn't getting enough power, so incrementally increased the voltage again

52 Replies