cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

skyesofrock
Adept II

Radeon VII forced reboot after black screen, during games

I'm seeing the posts about the black screen bug that appears to be plaguing the Radeon VII drivers, but has anyone experienced a sudden reboot when this happens? I'm trying to work out what might be causing it, given my system *should* be operating correctly.

What happens is, during some games, my screen will freeze for a second, display is suddenly lost, audio continues for another couple seconds then stops, then the system simply reboots itself. I'm not certain this is a driver issue, but would like to hear from anyone who's had this too. If you have, it'd be great to know what the specs of your machine are too; the comparison might help diagnose the issue.

Most recent game that had this issue was Battlefront 2 2017 after maybe 80 minutes of gameplay; unlocked framerate, ultra settings so it would have been running at full capacity. This has happened across several driver versions, but is still happening on the latest 20.1.1 driver. Not sure when it started.

My rig:
- Ryzen 7 3700X
- Sapphire Radeon VII @ stock clock/voltage* (1075mV)
- 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 @ 3200MHz
- ASUS B450-Plus TUF Gaming
- EVGA G3 750

* I have tried undervolting to 960mV which was stable for a while, then the black screen started happening and I assumed it wasn't getting enough power, so incrementally increased the voltage again

52 Replies

I too have 20.4.2 installed and have not had any Blackscreen/Hard Crashes for over a week now. Playing various games, using the card for various "work from home" implementations due to COVID, so on so forth. There's still the occasional flickering and mouse pointer issues when dealing with my dual-monitor setup but I'm happy with the progress they're making so far!

Every game is stable but Warzone which as of today I can't play for then 5 min without the black screen reboot.

0 Likes

My system has been pretty stable for the last few weeks - I'm running 20.4.2 and I'm playing a TON of COD Warzone without any major issues...

0 Likes

Really warzone is the only thing that crashes my system now. Using the same driver here.

skyesofrock
Adept II

Having seen a couple of the success stories with driver 20.4.2, I decided to take the plunge again today. Tested Half Life: Alyx again and it didn’t crash at all. Some frametime issues sure, but nothing that wasn’t there before to my knowledge. 

I’m gonna try the VII again for a little while, see how it goes. So far it’s stable, but I’m noticing it’s not drawing much power.. it’s 300W TDP but in GTA V it’s not drawing more than 180W at peak, leading to what looks like a lower framerate than it should be producing. Anybody experienced this?

0 Likes

Haven't seen any problems at all on the frame rate side: I'm running a 2560X1600 game screen; Warzone 60FPS (ALL ultra settings & set to max 60fps), CSGO same results (Was getting 240fps when not limited).

Ran some benchmark tests this morning to compare against the 2080 Super; ended up finding that the performance numbers from the VII were exactly what I was seeing before, and that card has simply ended up being more power efficient. Never thought I'd see the day! I can't deny I'm pretty annoyed that this happened right after I bought a replacement graphics card, but I'm grateful to AMD for finally releasing fixes for these problems.

I'd need to do a complete play through of Half Life: Alyx before I could claim it's completely fixed, but the results I've seen so far are really great. 20.4.2 is the one.

0 Likes
flashgear
Journeyman III

You guys must be seriously lucky.

I came from a 1080Ti recently to a watercooled VII. 

What a sh** show when it comes to Overclocking and black screens. 

I've reinstalled Windows, tried drivers from 19.12 to 20.5.1 all DDU'd etc, flashed the older bios above which my card already had.

Games just black screen and then reboot my PC a short while later, benchmarks can get through and maybe 2-5 mins of benchmark loops in game (World War Z for example)

Adding volts doesn't seem to help at all. Tried even 2075/1240mv. 

Came from team green back to red after being a long time fanboi but my hell what has happened. 

Currently on 20.4.2 and it's no better than any of the others I've tried. 

0 Likes

im on 20.4.2 and its the best overall, i just got a black screen and had to reboot for the first time in weeks but with a new game (ark) still, so sad.

0 Likes
jagga
Adept II

in have had same issue i have RMA the radeon vii  and when it returns it will be sold on a internet auction site, i will never buy a amd gpu again until they fix all the issues. no point paying high end prices for a crap product that  always crashes. would you buy a car that always cut out and left you stuck at the kerb?

0 Likes
qpens8
Journeyman III

I have a really strange situation. In warzone when fps is over 60 card crash but it's not giving me a black screen instead of on my G15 keyboard, Aida is not showing clock and temps and warzone is lagging as f***  my mouse arrow warzone menu is gone and if I will press alt+ctrl+de that will crash my PC. I did change bios to 105 I did try all drivers currently I'm on dx12 WSL driver from 30 JUN

0 Likes

My problem is solved. Aida64 with GPU sensors on was crashing CoD Warzone. It is strange because it's the only game that creates that issue others like Borderlands, Doom worked fine. Now unlimited FPS and enhanced sync is not crashing my PC. Currently, I'm using 20.7.2 driver and card bios 1.05 UEFI fix

0 Likes
decessum
Journeyman III

I've been having issues with my 50th anniversary Radeon vii as well. I have tried reinstalling windows, fresh drivers, flashing vbios to 105 from 106 to no avail. I've reseated cables and made sure to use two cables for power from PSU. I have a 850+ gold evga.

3700x

Asus Tuf x570 plus (wifi) 

16gb corsair vengeance XMP/dohc profile 3200 mhz @ 16 latency (I've also tried stock settings)

m.2 ssd

I have noticed elevated memory frequencies hitting a maximum of 1271 mhz. Could this be a vrm issue?

I am currently testing memory timing level 2. Could anyone else see if they are experiencing this as well?

0 Likes