cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

amdog
Adept I

Re: Radeon VII forced reboot after black screen, during games

f--k this man, how can amd release an expensive gpu in such a shitty state, its a f-kin shame, because the card is awesome, but you cant play without worrying WHEN THE -F-ING THING WILL GIVE A BLACK SCREEN. And having the user do some heavy troubleshooting like switching gpu bios or tweaking stuff that shouldn't be needed to tweak to make it work properly.

0 Likes
skyesofrock
Adept II

I feel you man, this is such a strange situation. The performance is stellar, but only when it works which is far too infrequent to use on a day-to-day basis.

It had been months of troubleshooting for me, as evidenced by the date of this post, but I’d been going even before I posted this. I just got to a point where I had to do something; Oculus support suggested trying a new card, I did and it works. It’s looking increasingly like the Radeon VII was DoA, not just from a sales perspective.

0 Likes
seansplayin
Adept I

by "programmed absolescence" I'm guessing you're suggesting overclocking. I have not changed any settings in Catylst or radeon adrenaline software at all, I've just been using the card at stock frequencies, pointless to OC if you're not even stable at stock. I do have it on a chilled loop with current glycol temperature at 4c but the black screen crashes pretty much happen at even at -30c. If it is related to a silicone stability/vcore issue then it's AMD's algorithm looking at temperature and deciding to drop the vcore through the floor, I do not believe this to be the case as typical gpu vcore is 1050mv 'ish.

0 Likes
amdog
Adept I

by programmed obsolescence i mean, amd to release a bios destined to fail. its very unlikely but seeing how short it took them to cut the end of life of the radeon vii, i wouldnt be surprised.

frenziedmuffin
Adept I

I just checked my card with ATIflash and I'm running 1.06. Going to downgrade and I'll post results. I can replicate crashes real fast by plugging in 2 monitors... Thanks for the information 
Edit: So far no BSOD's but I just got a black screen on both monitor that recovered on it's own. Not even in a game just on the desktop. So I'm going to say it didn't help me. Event viewer shows: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

0 Likes
seansplayin
Adept I

I could not agree more, this is efin redicolus! The amount of time I've spent dealing with this, I'm just done with AMD Radeon. I'm so tired of leaving my squad hanging because my system crashed, and then not being able to rejoin because my spot is filled. I'm tired of running stability tests (GPU, CPU,Memory) that never crash only to have the system crash during gaming.

I'm now on driver 19.4.1, when this crashes and I'm sure it will, I will replace my Lepa G1600 watt PSU for my new Corsair HX1200 just to rule out the PSU and then RMA this POS. The frustrating thing is I just gave away my old Sapphire VEGA 64 so now I don't have a replacement GPU. I never thought I say this but when Nvidia releases the 3080ti I plan to hand over $1200 of fu$ to GPP authoritarian Nvidia and it's purely AMD's fault. I've tried everything I can think of.

0 Likes
amdog
Adept I

You could try what i did, for now, (have passed two days only) i havent got any black screen or freezings+reboot. It might sound CLICHE but it somehow for now worked. Lets see in two weeks how it goes.

There is a new chipset update, the 2.04.

DOWNGRADE TO bios "AMD.RadeonVII.16384.190119_1.rom" (the v1.05 uefi fix)

DDU the system. reboot, install the new "amd_software_2.04.04.111" FIRST. Then reboot.

Proceed to install the newest GPU driver "Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.4.1-Apr2"

ALL of this with the vBIOS "AMD.RadeonVII.16384.190119_1.rom" flashed with "atiflash_293" (repeat, install vBIOS before doing this process as stated.)

Once you have the GPU drivers running. GO and disable texture and tesselation.
BOTH "use Application settings". Dont let the GPU interfere with these things. Leave everything off or application default, except freesync.

Tell me how it goes. This way i didnt need to overclock and make fixed voltage/profiles for games.

0 Likes
seansplayin
Adept I

that's a clever way to phrase it, I agree. I'll never understand wtf AMD constantly rolls out new features without first addressing their stability issues. I read some people say it's power play dropping the voltage to low which is responsible for these crashes. In true AMD fashion they shot themselves in the foot again by locking us out of the bios and now the community can't solve the problems for them. efin with the soft power play tables is garbage and not a permanent fix. If I set the same frequency and vcore to all states upon reboot the AMD driver will not even load. AMD Radeon = flaming dumpster fire.

0 Likes
seansplayin
Adept I

0 Likes
xlox
Miniboss

I finally installed 20.4.2 as I saw two posts about 2 guys that had no problems with their radeon VII and 20.4.2 ... And I'm pleased to confirm that it's been 3-4 days (24h/24) and no blackscreen happened, no reboot, nothing , it's seem stable for me

playing with oc (2155mhz and 1200 mhz ram)  and working with triple screen , everything seems smooth with these one

(well done ?)