cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Adept II
Adept II

Re: Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

I'm doubtful its a hardware issue as when I had my 30 day amazon window, I ordered a replacement and had the same issue. In addition my vega 56 also has some flickering but to a far lesser degree and has never blackscreens short of relive. I just feel like AMD has a driver bug they cant find with vega or have no intention of finding it...

What is the status of your chats with amd? Were you not able to send your card back after all?

Adept I
Adept I

Adding my comment to the pile. I have Radeon Vii with a 27" 144hz 1440p Freesync monitor and a 21.5" 60hz 900p vertical monitor and the problem is horrible when sat on the desktop. Any app open seems to reduce it unless I let the card idle and then the whole display occasionally flickers.

Changing my display to 120hz or 90hz has no effect. It's only when it goes down to 60hz that it settles but that's obviously not acceptable on a ~£550 graphics card.

I really don't want to RMA as I'm still working from home on graphic intensive projects so time away from gpu power would be a disaster. Is this another thing AMD are ignoring? 

Just for an additional note: My PC is a hackintosh too and when I boot into macOS I get no problems with the 2 refresh rates. 

Last Update:
Based on my XFX Radeon VII Software 20.4.2
Windows 10 64 bit
I just received my Kensington VP4000 Active DP to HDMI Adapters (2)
I replaced the DVI DP adapter, plugged in my second TV monitor 900f Sony along with my HTC Vive both in DP ports through active adapters
Main Monitor is a Samsung 8000 going directly into HDMI port.
This Card was purchased from Best Buy BTW....
Conclusion XFX did their due diligence to ensure a working card based on HARDWARE requirements for 3 or more Monitors with Active DP Adaptor for non-Freesync

OR direct plugging configuration for Freesync monitors.
I hope you guys get your cards to work because I am happy I don't have to return anything due to work from home situation like most of us on this forum.
Stay safe and healthy. Peace. 

Adept II
Adept II

So I finally got around to providing that email to AMD. was kept busy with work. 

i've tried a few different things much like gamedesigndude i tried to purchase some active adapters to convert my DP to HDMI for my second screen didn't seem to help me.

For now, I've uninstalled 20.4.2, used DDU and gone back top 19.5.2 so far i seem to be stable. this is just 1 hour of of use again. 

I can only wait to see what AMD will respond with to my email. keep everyone posted. 

Adept I
Adept I

Not sure if you've tried this yet but I've been able to minimize my flickering with my dual-screen setup, over an active DVI/HDMI adapter. I still GET flickering because I suspect one of the programs I use for work is still using the GPU somehow to accelerate things; which is where my point lies. I've disabled "Hardware Acceleration" in my browsers, other "Apps" which were basically custom web browsers, disabling for the OS, just absolutely minimizing multi-tasking on the card. So far my flickers seem to be sporadic but fewer and much farther between. Generally if the flickering is real bad I just reboot and it's good for a long while again. Though I'm still running into other nuisance issues that are also very random. This is on 20.4.1. I haven't seen anything for 20.4.2 yet since I'm running whatever update channel is stock on the Radeon Software.

Adept II
Adept II

Same issue as outlined in the first post. With a 2nd display connected, intermittent flickering up to sometimes half-screen green dot noise, plus possibly HDMI link drops.

Occurred on:

1. Core i7-3770K, 16 GB RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD7950 FleX OC, starting with a certain Catalyst version (never happened on 13.12), every version of 64-bit Windows 10 Enterprise since 2015 or so.

2. Core i7-3770K, 16 GB RAM, Sapphire Radeon VII (purchased because I thought it was the graphics card dying), every Catalyst/Radeon Software version since March 2019, every version of 64-bit Windows 10 Enterprise since March 2019.

3. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32 GB RAM, the same Radeon VII, every Radeon Software version since March 2019 including Radeon Pro drivers, every version of 64-bit Windows 10 Enterprise since March 2019.

Displays:
Primary: Dell UP3216q, 4K@60 over DisplayPort

Secondary: Sony Bravia KDL-47W808A, 1080p@60 over HDMI, or Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005, 4K@60 or 1080@60 over HDMI.

Flickering only affects the primary display. Secondary display shows intermittent signs of HDMI link loss (for 1080p: the signal info pop-up appears, no audio interruption; for 4K: screen blacks out, audio is interrupted). With the 2nd display disabled there seems to be no flickering. That is one amazing issue for a supposedly professional video card with multiple outputs.

Using a DP to HDMI adaptor does not help.

Adept II
Adept II

I also noticed that while a VLC-based IPTV player is running on the 2nd display (the TV), there is no flicker on the 1st. I wonder if anything that uses 3D produces this anti-flicker effect.

And it makes me almost sure that this is a driver issue.

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have the same issue described in original post.

I was working with a single screen till now, connecting sometime my TV as second screen on HDMI with no problem. The trouble happened with a second monitor.

The first time was with a lend Dell monitor and it seems that it came when I installed the last Amd software and driver Adrenalin 2020 Edition with 20.4.2 drivers. The second screen (Dell) was flickering vertically and some artifact was appearing horizontally in the middle. It happens when I move windows on it or when I move the mouse cursor.

It happened when I tried some settings with Adrenalin with AMD Eyefinity and I found that reinitialize with default parameters cancel the problem. But as soon I tried to lower a bit the GPU or the memory frequencies, the second screen (Dell) flicks.

One time when I changed Windows main monitor assignment, it was the Belinea screen that flicks.

After that I reinstalled the Adrenalin 2019 Edition with 19.12.1 drivers and it seemed that it worked.

But recently I bought a new monitor Acer, and all was good till I tried (with Adrenalin 2019 and 19.12.1 drivers) to lower frequencies and then the flick come back. I don’t remember if I tried to lower frequency again with the Dell monitor since I reinstalled Adrenalin 2019.

So now it seems I’ve the same trouble with the two drivers, the old and the new one, so I reinstalled Adrenaline 2020 with 20.4.2 drivers.

I tried this : When I change GPU or memory frequency a bit (even 1Mhz) , the Acer monitor is flickering and when I readjust frequencies to their origins (manually without clicking reinitialize), the trouble disappears.

Since I have the Acer monitor, the trouble happens only on this monitor, even if I change Windows main monitor assignment.

The trouble is not present when I play my 3D game Guild wars 2, but it happens during 2D transitions in the game. I can then lower frequencies in a profile for this particular game 3D is not impacted.

Hardware :

• Graphic card : VTX3D HD 7850 X-Edition 2Go (GPU frequency 1000Mhz / Memory frequency 1225Mhz)
  • CPU : AMD FX-8320E
  • Motherboard : Gygabyte GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 1.x)
  • First monitor :  Belinea 10 17 35 - 17” – 60 Hz - 1280 x 1024 - DVI connected
  • Second monitor : ACER CB242YBMIPRX – 24” – 75 Hz – 1920 x 1080 - HDMI connected

Software :

• Windows 10 64 bit (18363)
  • Graphic drivers 20.4.2
0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Hey all

Same issue here, but I initally thought that I had caused my card some kind of damaged when I installed a waterblock on it, but then later installed the original aircooler again.But today I decided to do a quick search and this thread popped up as the first result. So I tried removing my 2nd monitor and was surprised to see that the issue instantly wanished... I sat with this issue for like at least 6 months, but decided it was a minor nuisance since it didn't affect 3D applications or games. The 2nd monitor can be turned off and the issue is still there, but as soon as I remove the displayport cable it goes away. Haven't tried it with HDMI though, if that would solve the issue but that wouldn't really be an acceptable fix for me.

Glad(?) to see I am not the only one with the issue.

Specs below.

MSI MEG X570 UNIFY UEFI ver 1302 AGESA 1.0.0.B based| AMD Ryzen 9 3950X| Custom watercooling| Samsung 970 EVO 256 + 512GB M.2 NVMe| G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 MHz 16GB 16-16-16-36 1T| Sapphire Radeon VII | LG 34GK950F + LG 34UC88-B| EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 1600W| Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic| Windows 10 Pro

Also occurs on a Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact motherboard, and a Ryzen 7 3800X.

Adrenaline 20.4.2

0 Kudos

New driver just came out. I'm sure it does nothing to fix the multiple monitor flicker issues we all have.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-5-1

Edit: Within 5 minutes of hooking up my secondary monitor and just sitting at desktop I crashed to a black screen and the driver recovered. Thanks for nothing again AMD. In addition I purchased 2 certified 2k@165Hz Displayport cables. Those did nothing. Went back to just running my Pixio Prime (1440p @ 165Hz) and it's back to stable again.
Event log: Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Even though the system does appear to recover when my system goes to a black screen and comes back Catalyst is completely hosed. So I have to reboot anyways to fix it.
For the love of god fix these horribly broken drivers!!! I'd love to buy another Pixio monitor, but without being confident it'll even work on my RVII I may as well take that $400 and put it toward a Nvidia card. I'm patiently awaiting Nvidia Ampere while using just 1 monitor......

0 Kudos