cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

colebob222
Adept I

Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

• Issue Description: With only my primary monitor running, no issues occur. With a second monitor running, I get intermittent issues that seem like flickering, artifacting, and tearing on only my primary monitor. These issues do no occur in 3D applications like games, but only in low-demand 2D applications such as chrome when nothing demanding is running, and the GPU is running at or around 25 MHz. Normal I'd associate issues like this with stability, but I have not done any overclocking, and it does not occur in games or when the GPU is under stress. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed in a future driver, but I'd like to know if this is a hardware issue so I can get an RMA going as soon as possible.
  • Hardware:
    • Graphics card: Radeon VII (purchased directly from AMD)
    • CPU: Ryzen R7 1700
    • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WI-FI) X470
    • RAM: 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200 MHz CL14
    • PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W G2
    • Monitor 1: Acer XG270HU 1440p 144 Hz freesync enabled
    • Monitor 2: HP 21KD 1080p 60 Hz
  • Software:
    • Windows 10 64 bit 
    • Latest graphics driver 19.2.2
    • Latest UEFI BIOS from AMD flashed
    • Latest motherboard BIOS version 1201
244 Replies

Thanks for the feedback.

The issue should be resolved on Radeon VII.

A ticket has been opened to investigate the issue you experience on Vega 64.

In that case, let me also share here some info that I shared on reddit already, if it might help some more.

My primary monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G7 32" and the secondary is a 5inch HDMI LCD display (840x480 60hz) that I use for hardware monitoring with AIDA sensorpanel. Those are generic, but I got 2 different ones and the issue occurs with both on. The symptoms are only occuring on the main display though. My G7 monitor is connected via DP 1.4 and I tried a couple of them. And I tried the secondary with a couple of straight HDMI cables and a DVI-to-HDMI cable as well.

Note 1: The issue might not exhibit the symptoms right from the start of plugging in the secondary display. It might take some time(usually a few minutes) or even be triggered by something, like for example browsing a specific website, or clicking on an image on facebook to enlarge. But once it happens it's more and more frequent.

Note 2: To further investigate, I also tried another HDMI monitor, Viewsonic VX2260WM (1920x1080 60hz), this one when set at max resolution doesn’t seem to produce the issue, BUT when I set it at it’s lowest possible resolution (800x600 60hz), which is close to the resolution of my 5inch display, it starts happening again...maybe something to do in combination with low resolutions?

Note 3: I've discovered that the other 5inch display that I have can be pushed to a max resolution of 1080p60hz. Setting it at that res everything works fine. Setting it to anything lower from the options available like 720p or 480p the flickering lines/glitching starts happening again on my main G7, like I previously noted with my other 1080p monitor I tested(VX2260WM).
So I can now say that, without a doupt, resolution plays a part in this thing.

Adding video of the issue. 

https://streamable.com/vjghsh 

0 Likes

New discovery regarding the issue.

An idea popped-up to try and connect both of my generic 5inch displays via HDMI along with my main DP Odyssey G7 to observe the behaviour in that scenario, and the outcome is that no flicker corruption is occuring in that case and everything is working out fine.

As soon as I disconnect the 3rd display or deactivate it in Windows display settings, the problem starts again.

So, 3 displays(1440p@144, 800x480@60, 800x480@60) OK.
2 displays(1440p@144, 800x480@60) problem.

0 Likes

Random RX6900XT Flicker/stutter/artifact flashing

With only my monitor running, I get intermittent issues that seem like flickering, artifacting, and tearing on only my primary monitor. These issues do no occur in 3D applications like games, but only in low-demand 2D applications such as chrome when nothing demanding is running, and the GPU is running at or around 25 MHz. Normal I'd associate issues like this with stability, but I have not done any overclocking, and it does not occur in games or when the GPU is under stress. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed in a future driver, but I'd like to know if this is a hardware issue so I can get an RMA going as soon as possible. Disabling 10bit mode, freesync mode and enchanted sync does not fix this problem

System Configuration

• Motherboard: Aorus X570 Ultra

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

• PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 1200W Titanium

• Display(s):

• Samsung Odyssey G9 DP 1.4 (5120x1440 240Hz FreeSync 10bit mode)

• System Memory: 32GB CL16 Dual Channel G.Skill 2x16gb @ 4000mhz ( F4-4000C16D-32GTZR )

• GPU (VBIOS): Powercolor Red Devil RX 6900XT (BIOS: 113-D41201-XT )

• OS (Version): Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (Version: 20H2 19042.844)

• Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.3

• Applications: Anywhere where is too much white or black on the background. Most of time it shows up in desktop while browsing internet

• Background Apps: Brave browser or Google Chrome

• Radeon Software Settings: 10BIT ON, Enhanced Sync ON, Freesync ON

• Smart access memory is enabled

Video to my captured problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqmnamOp8Ic&feature=youtu.be

Same kind of problem what this video has https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nms_u...

​ And the long forum post of this kind of problem from previous GPU gen https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics...​ But I have this kind of problem with only one screen

0 Likes