cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

nickatron
Adept II

Re: Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

I tried that a while back and had all the same issues. 

It did what it normally does when I try a fix, where it seems to work for a day or so then all the issues return.

Pretty simple process so you may has well give it a go and see if it helps you.

0 Kudos
omalak
Adept II

For a BIOS downgrade do you just use amdvbflash with the required rom? Reboot after program tells you to?

OR does it force you to reinstall windows from scratch as well due bios signature mismatches?

I might as well try

0 Kudos
nickatron
Adept II

As its something I hadn't done in years I just followed Gamersnexus guide on it: Guide: How to Flash AMD GPU VBIOS for RX 5600 XT and Navi Video Cards | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Buil... 

Personally I have never had windows yell at me about a signature mismatch but if you are worried (and even if you're not) you can back your current bios up first.

0 Kudos
omalak
Adept II

bios downgrade had no impact even after using DDU.. sigh..

I guess i need to stat looking into how to file a class action lawsuit. Still going to give them a call this week sometime and plead my case. at this point I will take a downgrade to a 5700XT.

0 Kudos
omalak
Adept II

Hey folks, 

i decided to call AMD customer support today, they will be issuing me a new case number and have asked that i submit all the supporting info i have to them in an email.

I will be including this thread as one of the resources, if you guys have any other reddit/forum threads that speak to this issue please feel free to post them here and i will use them all in my communication with AMD. 

I even offered to send my card back and pay for diagnosis to prove that this is a driver issue and not hardware related.

Looking forward to your links. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
nickatron
Adept II

I'm not sure if you have tried it yet but the Radeon Pro Q1 driver substantially reduced my flickering (still present) and I never had a blackscreen in my entire time using it. Since then I switched back to Vega 56 as I wanted RIS and other features back.Vega 56 on the most recent drivers has a similar flickering problem to Radeon VII on the Q1 drivers, meaning rare and never seems to cause a blackscreen. So this seems to be a problem with all desktop Vega cards.

Hopefully the difference between Q1 and the modern driver will help at least to narrow down the cause.

Flickering for me was most present on websites with video, Imgur and reddit come to mind for me.

Of course I have 2 monitors of different make and model an LG 27GL83A and a Viewsonic XG2401 both set to the same refresh rate though the AMD driver shows the viewsonic running less than 1hz slower than the LG which it shows at the exact refreshrate.

Here is a recent reddit post that references this issue, a bit ranty but at this point it's justifiable in my opinion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/fvwdg5/my_radeon_vii_1_year_in/ 

Here is a more useful reddit post with additional references of its own, from 3 months ago with quite a bit of feedback:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ei88v6/is_anyone_at_amd_aware_that_the_radeon_vii_is/ 

In addition to that, hopefully the videos that were linked above help to some extent.

0 Kudos
gamedesigndude
Adept I

So I will take the embarrassing step and admit I had passive DisplayPort Adapters plugged into the card from my HDMI cable.
I remembered I had an old DVI DisplayPort adapter. I slapped on an HDMI to DVI adapter, and the flickering and grainy screen cleared up when coming out of sleep mode and plugging in the monitor. Use a passive for my VR but crashes after a while so it looks like the issue is the DisplayPort adapter. I am ordering 2 more active DisplayPort adapters for the third monitor and the last port for my HTC Vive.
I will update once I receive the hardware and test it.
Side note: I have my 120Hz Sony running off of the DisplayPort and its grainy due to the second adapter daisy-chained. Going to use this with the Vive and hope there is no huge loss in the display.  

0 Kudos
robotalan
Adept I

I'll just add where I got to with all this. The constant flickering of my screen was starting to really get to me and was having an effect on my ability to sit at my computer for any length of time. As soon as we started to move into lockdown here, I decided I needed to fix this and took the plunge, replacing my old 60Hz screen with a new 144Hz to give me two 2560x1440 @ 144Hz in a dual monitor setup. Since the change I've not had a single flicker - this is with over a month of testing. I just wouldn't have been able to cope with using my computer during lockdown if I hadn't fixed this.

The root cause of this is a driver issue at AMD's end. It's a disgrace that to make my home office usable I've had to spend more money to purchase a new second monitor on top of the cost of my Vega 64 (which isn't exactly cheap). I'm sorry omalak and gamedesigndude, but I don't think your card or your cables are an issue here. It is simply an inability of the drivers to run dual monitor setups which have variable refresh rates. I love AMD hardware but this whole situation has left a real sour taste in my mouth - for the money I've spent I'd have been better just getting a 1080Ti when it was a decision between that and the Vega 64. 

0 Kudos
baskura
Adept II

The thing is though I have 3 144hz monitors, all running at 144hz and I

still got the flickering. Since I’ve switched to a 2070 Super, no more

flickering, all screens running perfectly at 144hz and not a single black

screen or crash. This issue is 100% drivers.

0 Kudos
gamedesigndude
Adept I

It's confirmed it was the active versus passive DisplayPort Adaptor. I can come out of sleep mode with no flicker or grainy screen, or waiting 2 minutes for both monitors to adjust!
I know we are going to have slightly different experiences based on your PC configurations, BUT this is working for me and I'm sure if omalak made sure he or she is using proper cables it should clear it up!
I promise you I was ready to throw in the towel too! 
My System is up to date and I am using the latest Radeon drivers.

0 Kudos