cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

colebob222
Adept I

Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

• Issue Description: With only my primary monitor running, no issues occur. With a second monitor running, I get intermittent issues that seem like flickering, artifacting, and tearing on only my primary monitor. These issues do no occur in 3D applications like games, but only in low-demand 2D applications such as chrome when nothing demanding is running, and the GPU is running at or around 25 MHz. Normal I'd associate issues like this with stability, but I have not done any overclocking, and it does not occur in games or when the GPU is under stress. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed in a future driver, but I'd like to know if this is a hardware issue so I can get an RMA going as soon as possible.
  • Hardware:
    • Graphics card: Radeon VII (purchased directly from AMD)
    • CPU: Ryzen R7 1700
    • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WI-FI) X470
    • RAM: 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200 MHz CL14
    • PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W G2
    • Monitor 1: Acer XG270HU 1440p 144 Hz freesync enabled
    • Monitor 2: HP 21KD 1080p 60 Hz
  • Software:
    • Windows 10 64 bit 
    • Latest graphics driver 19.2.2
    • Latest UEFI BIOS from AMD flashed
    • Latest motherboard BIOS version 1201
244 Replies

I have the same issue where every now and then my screen will just go completely grey and then the full system locks up requiring a system restart via hard power button press. I'm the exact same as you, when I built my rig I loved it, great frame rates, glorious display and now it's just an absolute slog to use. Doing some web dev work today and my screen is just constantly flickering and flashing every minute or so while in Chrome making it impossible to work. 

I'm at the point where I'll be moving over to Nvidia and dumping this card into a second system. Great use of £400+.

0 Likes

The black screens were fixed in the new driver that came out a few days ago. Try increasing your minimum voltage to 1000mV. Unfortunately you need to reapply the profile every boot otherwise it doesn't actually work. It does however fix the flicker for a number of people.

I'll give it a go tomorrow and have a play with my voltage etc and report back. Worth a go I guess.

0 Likes
nickatron
Adept II

Issues persist for me on 20.2.2. Same flickering at idle and crash when using a web browser. Relive crash persists as well. I'm hoping the first of AMDs panic drivers simply focused the 5000 series and they wont just abandon this card entirely.

Back to the Q1 drivers which at least removed the flicker...

0 Likes
hunterxiv
Adept I

With the latests 20.2.2 something drivers, I'm now experiencing this black screen total shut down during games.  They fixed all these issues awhile ago, but they came back, and have never gone away.  I guess I'll try and revert to older drivers, which is a pitty to be honest.  Getting really fed up with this AMD.

Edit:  Just downloaded the new software and the 20.2.2 drivers.  Thought I actually had them installed, but had to manually download them.  Gonna test these out, and hope they work out.  If not, then I'll just stay sad I guess.  Maybe one of these days AMD will get around to fixing these issues.  =(

Edit 2: I guess AMD is aware of these black screen and system hang issues.  Would do me some good to read everything haha.  Well, atleast they are aware, and can get a fix out eventually.

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

Just installed 20.2.2 trying to replicate situations where i would get flickering, so far so good. ive been testing for about 20 minutes. 

Will try some games tomorrow to see if anything else shows up. 

fingers crossed this driver will fix the flickering!

EDIT: Nevermind... issue persists. seems slightly lees persistent now but still present sigh...

0 Likes

I have also just tried 20.2.2 with a clean install of Windows. Flickering

in Discord, Firefox etc still persists.

WAKE UP AMD.

0 Likes
hunterxiv
Adept I

So I've been doing a small amount of testing.  I uninstalled my current driver, which is 20.1.3, and downloaded an older driver which was 19.5.2.  The older driver (19.5.2), has had zero flickering issues, and I've experienced zero black screens or crashes while using that driver.  I played The Division 2 for 12 hours straight, and encountered zero system hangs, or black screens, or crashes.  While browsing the web, I never encountered a flicker.  The only issue with using the older driver, is I noticed in many other games besides The Division 2, that my FPS was actually consistently lower.  This was a huge bummer, because the older driver fixed my issue, but another FPS related issue popped up.  I decided to re-download the 20.1.3 driver, instead of the current 20.2.2 driver, and as soon as my computer finished installing it I immediately encountered flickering.  I restarted my PC, in hopes that that may fix said issue, but alas, it did not.  The flickering is still persistent with the 20.1.3 driver, AND the 20.2.2 driver.  The black screens have come back.  They seem to be completely random as to when they will happen.  I was playing The Division 2 today, for about 5 hours with no issues, and while sitting still, in the base of operations in the white house, my system completely froze and hung.  While frozen, I could still talk to my friend on discord.  I am unable to alt+f4, control+alt+delete, or alt tab out of any games, and my mouse ceases to work.  The only way to get anything back, is to hard press my computers power button, to force a restart.  I know AMD said they fixed several of the black screen issues, but they looked like they were for specific games, and not in general.  While browsing the web, ie, facebook, youtube, forum posts, my computer would lock up, and hang just like it did ingame.  I would also encounter black screens that were unable to be recovered from.  Again, the only way to do anything, was a hard restart by pressing the power button.  I'm really hoping a new driver will help alleviate these problems, because they never used to be a problem.  The flickering I have gotten used to, but when trying to play any competitive game, having a full system lock is extremely frustrating.

Edit: As far as changing voltages go, I don't personally feel comfortable messing with any of my hardware.  I know for some people it has helped raising or lowering the voltage, but that shouldn't be the solution.  You also have to redo your voltage settings every time you restart your pc, which again, shouldn't be necessary.  As far as AMD fixing black screens, as I said above, it seems like it's for specific games, and not in general.  If they had fixed the issues with black screens, then why am I, and many others still experiencing them during gameplay, and while browsing the web?

Edit 2: I'll post PC specs again, just for anyone who is curious.

GPU - Radeon VII
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM - 16 GIG 3200mhz CL 14

Motherboard - X470 Gaming Mobo
PSU - 850 WAT Bronze Rating
Fans / CPU Fan - Stock
Nothing is overclocked.

0 Likes

Have you tried the Radeo Pro 20.Q1.1 driver? That fixes the flickering and blackscreens for me.

I haven't tried the 19.5.2 driver but I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro driver is based on/is the same driver version.

0 Likes

I did try the Radeon Pro 20.1.1 enterprise driver. It reduced the

flickering but did not cure the issue unfortunately.

0 Likes
hunterxiv
Adept I

Going back to the 19.5.2 Driver, that one seemed to work.  Even though for some reason I get about 20 FPS lower with this driver, I'll deal with it.  The 20.2.2 driver causes my system to hard lock every 2 hours or so, and at this point it's pissing me off.  I'm so tired of having to hard restart my pc.  Nothing is wrong with my pc at all, everything works fine, temps are good, clocks are good.  These drivers though, jeesus.  I'd like to believe AMD is working hard, day in and day out trying to resolve these issues, but I'm losing so much faith.  This has been an on going issue for just about a year now.  On top of that, OTHER cards are experiencing these same issues.  My frustration levels right now are through the roof, I just want to relax at my computer, play some video games, listen to music, and watch videos without all this nonsense.

Yeah, I updated to 20.2.2

It freezes up when my system goes into sleep mode. It takes up to 2 minutes for my Sony 900f and Samsung 8000 series monitors to adjust all the while flickering.

Also, When I open

• VR in Steam
  • Unreal Engine 4 
  • Using Photoshop 2020
  • Camtasia recorder or Studio 8

I'll install 19.5.2 and see what happens. I'll play a few high profile games to check FPS as well to compare to your lower frame rate issue.

Thanks for the update.

0 Likes

Hopefully the 19.5.2 drivers give you success.  The lower FPS with that driver could all just be my imagination, but who knows.  I clean installed the 20.2.2 drivers again last night (I'm determined to find a fix), since AMD's adrenaline software allows you to do that, and set my profile to Standard, which turns off basically everything gaming wise.  I can say, the flickering is still present, even after a clean install.  I will test in game and see if I black screen.  Fingers crossed everything works.  =/

Edit: After clean installing my drivers, and using the 20.2.2 drivers, I just encountered another black screen.  It seems to give me these black screens 2 hours after any gaming session.  Almost on the dot.  I've been timing when I launch a game, and when it gives me the black screen.  Seems to be pretty consistent too, I can predict when my system will black screen minutes before it happens.  This is very strange.

Edit 2: Played The Division 2 for 1 hour, then left my computer idle for 5 hours (sitting at desktop), no black screens happened.  I started up The Division 2 at 11:20PM and predicted I would black screen 2 hours in, since it's been consistent with giving me black screens 2 hours in.  1:20AM, I was on discord with a friend, and I told him "Any minute now", and boom, my system black screen, killed both monitors, sound remained for 5 seconds, then everything went dark forcing a hard restart.  So, it seems the 20.2.2 drivers, atleast for me, are causing black screens upon prolonged gameplay, consistent with 2 hours, again, for my system.  May vary for others.  Been playing all day today, and it has stayed consistent with every 2 hours causing black screens.  Maybe this is something AMD can look into.  I also want to note, I never encountered black screens prior to the new 2020 Adrenaline software.  Everything before that was fine, aside from the screen flickering which I had gotten used to, almost like a feature.  Ever since updating to the new 2020 drivers, every iteration has given me freezing.  I do know, that the prior versions before 20.2.2 did cause my system to hang even while browsing online.  Unfortunately, I do not browse online for extended periods, so I cannot say if the 2 hours thing would be consistent with that as well.

katsury
Adept I

New Radeon VII build with the same issues. I just got my monitor back from the manufacturer who confirmed that the monitor IS NOT the issue and survives burn-in with no faults. Was down to one monitor @ 1080p while the big one (1440p @ 144 w/ Freesync 2) was being "repaired". Noticed the lack of flickering when utilizing that one monitor but didn't have much time gaming with it to run and see if the "black screen" crashes were still occurring. Got my new monitor back and now with both hooked up again (1080p w/ HDMI) & (1440p w/ DisplayPort), flickering and "red lines" intermittent horizontal on the picture like before. This is just sitting here running a web browser to type this up cause I'm desperate for solutions myself.

The most recent possible solution from AMD support themselves was run DDU from Safe Mode and clean install the latest adrenaline drivers (20.2.2) with a full config reset (did that too). Still getting flickers just sitting here using a web browser. I've submitted a crash report already through the support lines with AMD though I'm sure that line has gone dead. My day job has been consuming my evening hours as well the past couple of weeks so my time working on this is limited. I'll post specs here as well just to get toss my hat into the ring:

Hardware:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X [No Overclock]
  • GPU: AMD Radeon VII (XFX Make / No Overclock)
  • Display 1: Acer VG271U (1440p w/ DisplayPort) [Manufacturer Tested]
    Display 2: AOC 2269W (1080p w/ HDMI)
  • RAM: Corsair 32 GB @ XMP 3600 (CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18)
  • MoBo: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 w/ WiFi [Latest Firmwares/Drivers] [No Overclock]

Support Ticket #: 8200942078 (pretty sure it's expired) 8200946100 (second one! The adventure continues!)

UPDATE #1: (Added some details above to my specs)

Got a 2nd response from AMD support after informing them their first solution didn't solve the flickering and crashing. This was their response that may help some of you folks see a little bit of improvement as I did. Adjusting the TDR delay in the registry gave me rock-solid performance with one of the games that consistently produced the black screens for a couple of hours. Random and not long enough of a test for sure but I'm holding out hope that at least my black screen crashes are solved:

```

I request you to try disabling Fast startup in Power settings and check if the issue resolves.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Also, refer the below links and try the Timeout Detection and Recovery suggestion provided in the thread which have resolved the issue for many users.

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

And try performing clean boot/Selective startup of the OS and check if you are still getting the error.

Please refer the below link to know how to perform clean boot.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

Also, there is a new driver released 20.2.2 with lot of black screen issues fixed, could you please try clean installing it and check the status.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-2

If the issue remains same, please try the GPU on a different computer and check the status.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

```

If you don't see the "TDRDelay" DWORD option, just create it.

I'll be giving the rig a good marathon of hours on my Friday night "end of the work week me time" and I don't want to SysAdmin for a few hours. I just want to game...

I'll report back with my findings after making the tweaks mentioned above. I'm hopeful at least half my issues are resolved.

UPDATE #2: The TDR fix above seems to be working so far for the black screen crashing. Games that were producing the crash before are so far... not. Going to continue testing of course. Another user further in the thread was figuring out the flickering and I think they stumbled upon the fix in some mannerism that inspired me to try my fix. "paulchenp" has been trying different monitors with different refresh rates. I've forced my refresh rate down to 120 Hz from 144 Hz, keeping at 1440p for now. So far the flickering has been reduced. Still testing...

0 Likes

Well I’ve been living the black screen crashing life for a long time. I have a reference VII direct from AMDs store. Same issues as OP. If I run with a single monitor no problems. I was an early adopter and been dealing with the problem. I’m going to try the minimum voltage tweak, but when I was OCing about a year ago I still would get the crashes. Back then I thought it was just a unstable OC. I knew something was wrong though when running the card at stock and still getting these wonderful artifacts and black screen.

Now that said not many people in this thread have pointed out that crash dumps (BSOD's) sometimes are generating in Windows. When you get a black screen don't hard reboot. I'm curious if others are seeing failures like these. It's obvious they are video driver failures. All these crash dump times are my normal times that I would be in a game. I don't have much free time to play games anymore but here are my crashes form the last month:

On Thu 3/5/2020 9:45:21 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030520-9859-01.dmp
uptime: 00:28:21
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x0000000000000003) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF9782CA3D8010, 0xFFFFF8054E300818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. 
Google query: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Wed 2/26/2020 7:07:26 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022620-9375-01.dmp
uptime: 23:38:41
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrBugcheckOnTimeout+0xFE) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFBC04535E7050, 0xFFFFF8026E150818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. 
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 2/23/2020 7:27:29 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022320-12468-01.dmp
uptime: 3 days, 01:25:03
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrBugcheckOnTimeout+0xFE) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFBF883E9E9050, 0xFFFFF80123F20818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 2/15/2020 11:37:23 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021520-13875-01.dmp
uptime: 1 day, 17:05:41
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF978DC4995010, 0xFFFFF80638110818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)

On Tue 2/11/2020 6:50:17 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021120-9109-01.dmp
uptime: 03:37:58
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x0000000000000003) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFCA8200BEE010, 0xFFFFF80060C90818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. 
Google query: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Please someone from AMD tell me you don't have a driver problem here. 

Edit: LOL to add salt in the wound. While I was typing this up my system crashed to a black screen after I did a minimum overvolt to 1000. My system was able to recover multiple times without a crash on Catalyst 20.2.2. Event Viewer lists this warning in my system log:

Event 4101, Display
Display Driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered

After recovering twice it full on crashed just sitting at my desktop. It's like my PC wants to give me more evidence. It seems like this overvolt to 1000 is causing my system to be more unstable so I'm going to revert that change... Look a brand new crash dump.

On Wed 3/11/2020 7:48:05 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031120-9812-01.dmp
uptime: 00:34:53
This was probably caused by the following module: authenticamd.sys (authenticamd) 
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFF800F6143F028, 0xB4002800, 0xC0135)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA). 
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: authenticamd.sys . 
Google query: authenticamd.sys WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Edit 2:
I went back to a single monitor while still running the 1000mV (minimum) to 1128mV (my cards stock maximum) at 1440p 165hz and the system has been stable as a rock the last hour. That overvolt seems to do nothing for me, but I wanted to see if I can induce a single monitor system crash. Just for everyone elses info my card was running 737mv at stock idle according to adrenaline.

0 Likes

Are there any AMD reps who read here? I have not seen any official reply

about all of this?

Insane that people have to do AMDs work for em on forums... When you buy

their premium 700$+ cards....

Den tors 12 mars 2020 10:02frenziedmuffin <amd-external@jiveon.com> skrev:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor. in

Graphics

0 Likes

Regarding the system hangs I can also hook in again. I've switched from my main 160hz monitor to a Samsung CRG9 with 120hz - opening a whole new set of problems on which I could open a completely new thread... (in combination with a 1080p 60hz 2nd screen)

The flickering went away because of the lower refresh rate, even though the real world bandwidth pushed through the display port cable is higher (5120x1440 120hz).
But i can still confirm the random freezes with the Bugcheck code: 0x116. Most of the times the dump is not generated, and when it is, the only information I see in BlueScreenView are:
0x116, an empty Bug Check String, two random hex addresses, followed by 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3 and useless additional data (everything 0). But I remember seeingVIDEO_TDR_ERROR once in the history, which only leads to the video driver as a reason, according to some google searches.

The crashes are happening with Freesync on and off! When browsing/idle or gaming - but all they have in common is the completely random occurence.

I don't even know if I could sell the radeon vii in this state without declaring it as a defective unit and lying the buyer in their face - when having to upgrade to the next line of new cards instantly after release because of this miserable card-driver-situation ! This would result in a raw value loss from 600€ not to 400€ but maybe to half that amount!

But supporting the anti-consumer-friendly competition also seems wrong for me...

So I've had success in solving my "black screen crash", so far, with a registry tweak and a reboot. I followed this guide:

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166 

If you don't have the TDR key, create it in the directory they mention. Mine was missing entirely.

0 Likes
baskura
Adept II

Well, I installed the latest driver 20.3.1 and my Radeon VII is pretty much unusable. I've gone from flickering to black screens of death and I've had enough. I'm usually pretty loyal to AMD and I think the hardware is good, but the software and drivers are beyond a joke at this point.

I've ordered a Gigabyte Aorus/Nvidia 2070 Super which is coming tommorrow and hopefully it's the end of this nightmare. The Radoen VII will be going back in its box and staying there and eventually the 2070S will go in my stream PC to replace the RX580 once the latest gen cards are launched and widely available.

Never thought I would go back Nvidia, but I need stability and am sick to the back teeth of these issues.

Good luck in getting the problems sorted everyone and thanks for all the help. I'm out.

0 Likes

Yep. The more updates that come out the worse the crashed get. I recently got a new monitor that supported 1440p with 165hz and unless I just run just this monitor then I crash to a black screen every 5 minutes just sitting at a desktop. Complete joke. This card can't seem to run multiple monitors at all. It's horrible. I'm right there with you. When I replace this thing I'm going back to Nvidia 100%.

0 Likes
vinnybags
Journeyman III

With regard to the issue with the Flickering screen.. I think I may have found a workaround for at least some users. 
This may actually help diagnose the issue as well. 
Hardware 1700x on an x370 ddr3264 @ 38.25 multiplier - 3900mhz 
32gb flare-x  102fsb
Radeon VII
few SSD's - Win 10 Pro Ver 1909 18363.720
Acer XR342CK (DP1.4-DP1.4)
Dell 2405FPW (DP - RGB)

I had previously noticed that when I used a DP - dp1.4 cable and a 90 degree adapter (brings the compatibility to dp1.2) and while using any other monitor I did have some, but not many issues. There were other reasons 1.2 capability was not good.
HDMI 2.0 - 2.0 did NOT solve the issue for me. I still had black screen issues. 
after searching for a cable that was dp1.4 and was able to make the connection turn where needed, I finally had a true dp1.4 connection that was both recognized by the monitor and the video card. The display link connection in the radeon settings indicate 5.4Gbps x 4. With this setting, I had very visual screen issues. Not necessarily a black screen, but it looked like the signal was lost for a split second, then relocked. On occasion, the flickering did lead to a black screen and I suspected this was going on previously but the dp1.2 signal handled the weaker signal better.
In any case, I had then chosen to set the color depth of the connected 3440x1440 75hz freesync Acer monitor to 12bpc - 12bit color, AND adjusted the voltage swing and PreEmphasis at 2. I have now had Zero black screens and Zero flickering. I did work my way to these settings and it was the only configuration that COMPLETELY solved the flickering/black screen issues.

I hope this has been helpful and hope this makes a difference in the driver teams knowledge base.

0 Likes
petbb
Adept I

I noticed big improvement with 20.3.1 driver. It restores Freesync for multi-monitor setup and no black screen freezes since installation 3 days ago.

Also I had zero screen distortions on the driver  but today I spotted new TR4 chipset drivers and tried to install them. That was bad idea because the installer is broken and stays on 0% forever. So I removed/install chipset drivers few times but still without possibility to finish the installation. After this process screen distortions are back but  less frequent I think. Anyway, my system is still stable and Freesync works

Unfortunately new drivers breaks Wattman for multi-gpu configurations. Readings from only one card covers all other cards...

0 Likes
nickatron
Adept II

I haven't seen a video of the flicker so here is my submission. Looking at the video it seems like my phone focused on my keyboard so apologies for that. If my computer enters a flicker storm again I'll try to record it.

https://youtu.be/mDYr-9SEDiQ

Graphics settings are undervolted and underclocked Radeon VII. However, I have tested this completely stock and still get flicker and blackscreens.
Aside from that the only setting I change is turning on RIS, which also doesn't matter as I get flicker without that as well.
I have tested with freesync off on both monitors, color depth at 8 bpc on both monitors (default is 10 for my main) and with the voltage swing, and PreEmphasis overrides set to 2.
I would really like to be able to use a modern driver, as Pro Q1 does not have very good game support (nor should it need to as it's not the game driver), but using a game driver causes instability more than is tollerable.

HW specs and open applications below:

Hardware:
GA-AX370 Gaming K7
2700x
32GB DDR4 at 3000mhz
850W seasonic platinum with separate pcie 8 pin cables

Outside the case, I have 2 monitors
First monitor is my LG 27GL83A running at 120Hz Second is a Viewsonic XG 2401 running at 120Hz Both are connected with the club3d vesa certified displayport 1.4 cables

Software:
Win10 1909 (18363.720)
Driver 20.3.1
chrome, discord, and firefox, HW acceleration disabled on all (only been testing with HW accel disabled for a few hours, so no blackscreens yet)
gotoassist
warthunder launcher
sticky notes

Background:
f.lux
gog galaxy 2.0
steam
Rivatuner statistics server

I know some of these mess with the gpu to some extent, f.lux changes the screen color, and RTSS I am using to limit FPS (was testing if chill caused the flicker), however, this happens regardless of them being open or not. All the flicker (and associated blackscreens with hard reboot) seem to require, is chrome, firefox, or discord open (always have one browser open and discord) may not flicker without any apps open, but then what is the point of the computer.

0 Likes
der_eismann
Journeyman III

Just wanted to chime in here... I also have lots of flickering on the desktop and crashes in some games. I have a 4K 60Hz and a 1440p 144Hz display attached via DisplayPort, both with FreeSync. I also gave it back to the seller and wanted a new one, but the problem stays the same.

The performance of the card is great and I really want to keep it, but this flickering is driving me nuts!

Here is my video submission:

Radeon VII Bildflackern - YouTube 

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

Hey all, 

I decided to format my entire system and do some tests with a clean windows install and NO AMD drivers installed just whatever came default with Windows 10. upon connecting a second monitor i started getting flickering again!

So, i'm sure the stock driver in windows 10 1909 is provided by AMD i just not sure where the problem lies now, considering that even the basic windows driver has flickering issues. 

I am honestly starting to wonder if these cards were just defective. I am now out of my warranty period by a few weeks so i am out of luck on the RMA front as well..

0 input from AMD, i thought this forum was frequented by their techs. i am so utterly disappoint. I have been a believer in this company since the humble days of ATi... 

i really don't know what to do.

0 Likes

I've already RMA'd my Vega 56, both had the exact same issue. The base windows driver is from AMD and is updated with Windows updates, so the most recent version probably contained the same errors that the others do that cause this problem. Everyone seems to be able to roll back to an earlier version that doesn't do this, so it's definitely a driver issue. AMD has abandoned the Vega family. A sign of things to come? Given how long it took them to recognise more serious issues with Navi, probably yes. I definitely will be keeping an eye on the competition going forward when it comes time to replace my Vega.

0 Likes
arpaterson
Journeyman III

This issue is STILL present in 2020.2.2. (directly after a format and clean install of Windows 10 1909 and all windows updates)

Asus Z370-I
32Gb RAM

Radeon VII, Acer xr382 3840x1600 on displayport, samsung tv on hdmi.

As soon as the TV is connected via HDMI, the acer on displayport becomes unstable. Flickers - not black, but a few garbled frames every few seconds to minutes.

Without the TV plugged I get the usual radeon black screen flicker (display reset, ~1-2seconds as if the DP cable was yanked and replugged) that SHOULD ALSO NOT BE OCCURING on a 700eur card - everytime I log in, and sometimes randomly while at the desktop.

Bad experience AMD. AMD bad.

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

Well got shut down by AMDs worthless canned support. I asked what could be done since i am now out of my 1 year warranty (which is crazy since all other AIB vendors have 2 or 3 years warranties) Asked if there was a support number i could call and basically got told there is nothing they can do. Did not even acknowledge my frustrations or my question in regards to a number.

I will try to call AMD tomorrow through their customer service line and see what happens. There is no way this is a hardware issue given the scope of individuals who are having the same issues. 

1 yr later and what a worthless pile of garbage, I should have thrown away $1,000. i've sure as hell learned my lesson

i've got nothing more technical to add except my frustrations. i apologize.

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

side note. Has anyone downgraded to bios v105 and noticed if the issue still exists? i will give that a try tomorrow. its the hail marry. i have no other ideas.

0 Likes

I tried that a while back and had all the same issues. 

It did what it normally does when I try a fix, where it seems to work for a day or so then all the issues return.

Pretty simple process so you may has well give it a go and see if it helps you.

0 Likes

For a BIOS downgrade do you just use amdvbflash with the required rom? Reboot after program tells you to?

OR does it force you to reinstall windows from scratch as well due bios signature mismatches?

I might as well try

0 Likes

As its something I hadn't done in years I just followed Gamersnexus guide on it: Guide: How to Flash AMD GPU VBIOS for RX 5600 XT and Navi Video Cards | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Buil... 

Personally I have never had windows yell at me about a signature mismatch but if you are worried (and even if you're not) you can back your current bios up first.

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

bios downgrade had no impact even after using DDU.. sigh..

I guess i need to stat looking into how to file a class action lawsuit. Still going to give them a call this week sometime and plead my case. at this point I will take a downgrade to a 5700XT.

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

Hey folks, 

i decided to call AMD customer support today, they will be issuing me a new case number and have asked that i submit all the supporting info i have to them in an email.

I will be including this thread as one of the resources, if you guys have any other reddit/forum threads that speak to this issue please feel free to post them here and i will use them all in my communication with AMD. 

I even offered to send my card back and pay for diagnosis to prove that this is a driver issue and not hardware related.

Looking forward to your links. 

Thanks

0 Likes

I'm not sure if you have tried it yet but the Radeon Pro Q1 driver substantially reduced my flickering (still present) and I never had a blackscreen in my entire time using it. Since then I switched back to Vega 56 as I wanted RIS and other features back.Vega 56 on the most recent drivers has a similar flickering problem to Radeon VII on the Q1 drivers, meaning rare and never seems to cause a blackscreen. So this seems to be a problem with all desktop Vega cards.

Hopefully the difference between Q1 and the modern driver will help at least to narrow down the cause.

Flickering for me was most present on websites with video, Imgur and reddit come to mind for me.

Of course I have 2 monitors of different make and model an LG 27GL83A and a Viewsonic XG2401 both set to the same refresh rate though the AMD driver shows the viewsonic running less than 1hz slower than the LG which it shows at the exact refreshrate.

Here is a recent reddit post that references this issue, a bit ranty but at this point it's justifiable in my opinion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/fvwdg5/my_radeon_vii_1_year_in/ 

Here is a more useful reddit post with additional references of its own, from 3 months ago with quite a bit of feedback:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ei88v6/is_anyone_at_amd_aware_that_the_radeon_vii_is/ 

In addition to that, hopefully the videos that were linked above help to some extent.

0 Likes

So I will take the embarrassing step and admit I had passive DisplayPort Adapters plugged into the card from my HDMI cable.
I remembered I had an old DVI DisplayPort adapter. I slapped on an HDMI to DVI adapter, and the flickering and grainy screen cleared up when coming out of sleep mode and plugging in the monitor. Use a passive for my VR but crashes after a while so it looks like the issue is the DisplayPort adapter. I am ordering 2 more active DisplayPort adapters for the third monitor and the last port for my HTC Vive.
I will update once I receive the hardware and test it.
Side note: I have my 120Hz Sony running off of the DisplayPort and its grainy due to the second adapter daisy-chained. Going to use this with the Vive and hope there is no huge loss in the display.  

0 Likes
robotalan
Adept I

I'll just add where I got to with all this. The constant flickering of my screen was starting to really get to me and was having an effect on my ability to sit at my computer for any length of time. As soon as we started to move into lockdown here, I decided I needed to fix this and took the plunge, replacing my old 60Hz screen with a new 144Hz to give me two 2560x1440 @ 144Hz in a dual monitor setup. Since the change I've not had a single flicker - this is with over a month of testing. I just wouldn't have been able to cope with using my computer during lockdown if I hadn't fixed this.

The root cause of this is a driver issue at AMD's end. It's a disgrace that to make my home office usable I've had to spend more money to purchase a new second monitor on top of the cost of my Vega 64 (which isn't exactly cheap). I'm sorry omalak and gamedesigndude, but I don't think your card or your cables are an issue here. It is simply an inability of the drivers to run dual monitor setups which have variable refresh rates. I love AMD hardware but this whole situation has left a real sour taste in my mouth - for the money I've spent I'd have been better just getting a 1080Ti when it was a decision between that and the Vega 64. 

0 Likes

The thing is though I have 3 144hz monitors, all running at 144hz and I

still got the flickering. Since I’ve switched to a 2070 Super, no more

flickering, all screens running perfectly at 144hz and not a single black

screen or crash. This issue is 100% drivers.

0 Likes

It's confirmed it was the active versus passive DisplayPort Adaptor. I can come out of sleep mode with no flicker or grainy screen, or waiting 2 minutes for both monitors to adjust!
I know we are going to have slightly different experiences based on your PC configurations, BUT this is working for me and I'm sure if omalak made sure he or she is using proper cables it should clear it up!
I promise you I was ready to throw in the towel too! 
My System is up to date and I am using the latest Radeon drivers.

0 Likes