cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

frenziedmuffin
Adept I

Re: Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

Yep. The more updates that come out the worse the crashed get. I recently got a new monitor that supported 1440p with 165hz and unless I just run just this monitor then I crash to a black screen every 5 minutes just sitting at a desktop. Complete joke. This card can't seem to run multiple monitors at all. It's horrible. I'm right there with you. When I replace this thing I'm going back to Nvidia 100%.

0 Likes
petbb
Adept I

I noticed big improvement with 20.3.1 driver. It restores Freesync for multi-monitor setup and no black screen freezes since installation 3 days ago.

Also I had zero screen distortions on the driver  but today I spotted new TR4 chipset drivers and tried to install them. That was bad idea because the installer is broken and stays on 0% forever. So I removed/install chipset drivers few times but still without possibility to finish the installation. After this process screen distortions are back but  less frequent I think. Anyway, my system is still stable and Freesync works

Unfortunately new drivers breaks Wattman for multi-gpu configurations. Readings from only one card covers all other cards...

0 Likes
nickatron
Adept II

I haven't seen a video of the flicker so here is my submission. Looking at the video it seems like my phone focused on my keyboard so apologies for that. If my computer enters a flicker storm again I'll try to record it.

https://youtu.be/mDYr-9SEDiQ

Graphics settings are undervolted and underclocked Radeon VII. However, I have tested this completely stock and still get flicker and blackscreens.
Aside from that the only setting I change is turning on RIS, which also doesn't matter as I get flicker without that as well.
I have tested with freesync off on both monitors, color depth at 8 bpc on both monitors (default is 10 for my main) and with the voltage swing, and PreEmphasis overrides set to 2.
I would really like to be able to use a modern driver, as Pro Q1 does not have very good game support (nor should it need to as it's not the game driver), but using a game driver causes instability more than is tollerable.

HW specs and open applications below:

Hardware:
GA-AX370 Gaming K7
2700x
32GB DDR4 at 3000mhz
850W seasonic platinum with separate pcie 8 pin cables

Outside the case, I have 2 monitors
First monitor is my LG 27GL83A running at 120Hz Second is a Viewsonic XG 2401 running at 120Hz Both are connected with the club3d vesa certified displayport 1.4 cables

Software:
Win10 1909 (18363.720)
Driver 20.3.1
chrome, discord, and firefox, HW acceleration disabled on all (only been testing with HW accel disabled for a few hours, so no blackscreens yet)
gotoassist
warthunder launcher
sticky notes

Background:
f.lux
gog galaxy 2.0
steam
Rivatuner statistics server

I know some of these mess with the gpu to some extent, f.lux changes the screen color, and RTSS I am using to limit FPS (was testing if chill caused the flicker), however, this happens regardless of them being open or not. All the flicker (and associated blackscreens with hard reboot) seem to require, is chrome, firefox, or discord open (always have one browser open and discord) may not flicker without any apps open, but then what is the point of the computer.

0 Likes
residentcl
Adept II

0 Likes
der_eismann
Journeyman III

Just wanted to chime in here... I also have lots of flickering on the desktop and crashes in some games. I have a 4K 60Hz and a 1440p 144Hz display attached via DisplayPort, both with FreeSync. I also gave it back to the seller and wanted a new one, but the problem stays the same.

The performance of the card is great and I really want to keep it, but this flickering is driving me nuts!

Here is my video submission:

Radeon VII Bildflackern - YouTube 

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

Hey all, 

I decided to format my entire system and do some tests with a clean windows install and NO AMD drivers installed just whatever came default with Windows 10. upon connecting a second monitor i started getting flickering again!

So, i'm sure the stock driver in windows 10 1909 is provided by AMD i just not sure where the problem lies now, considering that even the basic windows driver has flickering issues. 

I am honestly starting to wonder if these cards were just defective. I am now out of my warranty period by a few weeks so i am out of luck on the RMA front as well..

0 input from AMD, i thought this forum was frequented by their techs. i am so utterly disappoint. I have been a believer in this company since the humble days of ATi... 

i really don't know what to do.

0 Likes
cheffy
Adept I

I've already RMA'd my Vega 56, both had the exact same issue. The base windows driver is from AMD and is updated with Windows updates, so the most recent version probably contained the same errors that the others do that cause this problem. Everyone seems to be able to roll back to an earlier version that doesn't do this, so it's definitely a driver issue. AMD has abandoned the Vega family. A sign of things to come? Given how long it took them to recognise more serious issues with Navi, probably yes. I definitely will be keeping an eye on the competition going forward when it comes time to replace my Vega.

0 Likes
arpaterson
Journeyman III

This issue is STILL present in 2020.2.2. (directly after a format and clean install of Windows 10 1909 and all windows updates)

Asus Z370-I
32Gb RAM

Radeon VII, Acer xr382 3840x1600 on displayport, samsung tv on hdmi.

As soon as the TV is connected via HDMI, the acer on displayport becomes unstable. Flickers - not black, but a few garbled frames every few seconds to minutes.

Without the TV plugged I get the usual radeon black screen flicker (display reset, ~1-2seconds as if the DP cable was yanked and replugged) that SHOULD ALSO NOT BE OCCURING on a 700eur card - everytime I log in, and sometimes randomly while at the desktop.

Bad experience AMD. AMD bad.

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

Well got shut down by AMDs worthless canned support. I asked what could be done since i am now out of my 1 year warranty (which is crazy since all other AIB vendors have 2 or 3 years warranties) Asked if there was a support number i could call and basically got told there is nothing they can do. Did not even acknowledge my frustrations or my question in regards to a number.

I will try to call AMD tomorrow through their customer service line and see what happens. There is no way this is a hardware issue given the scope of individuals who are having the same issues. 

1 yr later and what a worthless pile of garbage, I should have thrown away $1,000. i've sure as hell learned my lesson

i've got nothing more technical to add except my frustrations. i apologize.

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

side note. Has anyone downgraded to bios v105 and noticed if the issue still exists? i will give that a try tomorrow. its the hail marry. i have no other ideas.

0 Likes