cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

hunterxiv
Adept I

Re: Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

Going back to the 19.5.2 Driver, that one seemed to work.  Even though for some reason I get about 20 FPS lower with this driver, I'll deal with it.  The 20.2.2 driver causes my system to hard lock every 2 hours or so, and at this point it's pissing me off.  I'm so tired of having to hard restart my pc.  Nothing is wrong with my pc at all, everything works fine, temps are good, clocks are good.  These drivers though, jeesus.  I'd like to believe AMD is working hard, day in and day out trying to resolve these issues, but I'm losing so much faith.  This has been an on going issue for just about a year now.  On top of that, OTHER cards are experiencing these same issues.  My frustration levels right now are through the roof, I just want to relax at my computer, play some video games, listen to music, and watch videos without all this nonsense.

gamedesigndude
Adept I

Yeah, I updated to 20.2.2

It freezes up when my system goes into sleep mode. It takes up to 2 minutes for my Sony 900f and Samsung 8000 series monitors to adjust all the while flickering.

Also, When I open

• VR in Steam
  • Unreal Engine 4 
  • Using Photoshop 2020
  • Camtasia recorder or Studio 8

I'll install 19.5.2 and see what happens. I'll play a few high profile games to check FPS as well to compare to your lower frame rate issue.

Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
hunterxiv
Adept I

Hopefully the 19.5.2 drivers give you success.  The lower FPS with that driver could all just be my imagination, but who knows.  I clean installed the 20.2.2 drivers again last night (I'm determined to find a fix), since AMD's adrenaline software allows you to do that, and set my profile to Standard, which turns off basically everything gaming wise.  I can say, the flickering is still present, even after a clean install.  I will test in game and see if I black screen.  Fingers crossed everything works.  =/

Edit: After clean installing my drivers, and using the 20.2.2 drivers, I just encountered another black screen.  It seems to give me these black screens 2 hours after any gaming session.  Almost on the dot.  I've been timing when I launch a game, and when it gives me the black screen.  Seems to be pretty consistent too, I can predict when my system will black screen minutes before it happens.  This is very strange.

Edit 2: Played The Division 2 for 1 hour, then left my computer idle for 5 hours (sitting at desktop), no black screens happened.  I started up The Division 2 at 11:20PM and predicted I would black screen 2 hours in, since it's been consistent with giving me black screens 2 hours in.  1:20AM, I was on discord with a friend, and I told him "Any minute now", and boom, my system black screen, killed both monitors, sound remained for 5 seconds, then everything went dark forcing a hard restart.  So, it seems the 20.2.2 drivers, atleast for me, are causing black screens upon prolonged gameplay, consistent with 2 hours, again, for my system.  May vary for others.  Been playing all day today, and it has stayed consistent with every 2 hours causing black screens.  Maybe this is something AMD can look into.  I also want to note, I never encountered black screens prior to the new 2020 Adrenaline software.  Everything before that was fine, aside from the screen flickering which I had gotten used to, almost like a feature.  Ever since updating to the new 2020 drivers, every iteration has given me freezing.  I do know, that the prior versions before 20.2.2 did cause my system to hang even while browsing online.  Unfortunately, I do not browse online for extended periods, so I cannot say if the 2 hours thing would be consistent with that as well.

katsury
Adept I

New Radeon VII build with the same issues. I just got my monitor back from the manufacturer who confirmed that the monitor IS NOT the issue and survives burn-in with no faults. Was down to one monitor @ 1080p while the big one (1440p @ 144 w/ Freesync 2) was being "repaired". Noticed the lack of flickering when utilizing that one monitor but didn't have much time gaming with it to run and see if the "black screen" crashes were still occurring. Got my new monitor back and now with both hooked up again (1080p w/ HDMI) & (1440p w/ DisplayPort), flickering and "red lines" intermittent horizontal on the picture like before. This is just sitting here running a web browser to type this up cause I'm desperate for solutions myself.

The most recent possible solution from AMD support themselves was run DDU from Safe Mode and clean install the latest adrenaline drivers (20.2.2) with a full config reset (did that too). Still getting flickers just sitting here using a web browser. I've submitted a crash report already through the support lines with AMD though I'm sure that line has gone dead. My day job has been consuming my evening hours as well the past couple of weeks so my time working on this is limited. I'll post specs here as well just to get toss my hat into the ring:

Hardware:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X [No Overclock]
  • GPU: AMD Radeon VII (XFX Make / No Overclock)
  • Display 1: Acer VG271U (1440p w/ DisplayPort) [Manufacturer Tested]
    Display 2: AOC 2269W (1080p w/ HDMI)
  • RAM: Corsair 32 GB @ XMP 3600 (CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18)
  • MoBo: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 w/ WiFi [Latest Firmwares/Drivers] [No Overclock]

Support Ticket #: 8200942078 (pretty sure it's expired) 8200946100 (second one! The adventure continues!)

UPDATE #1: (Added some details above to my specs)

Got a 2nd response from AMD support after informing them their first solution didn't solve the flickering and crashing. This was their response that may help some of you folks see a little bit of improvement as I did. Adjusting the TDR delay in the registry gave me rock-solid performance with one of the games that consistently produced the black screens for a couple of hours. Random and not long enough of a test for sure but I'm holding out hope that at least my black screen crashes are solved:

```

I request you to try disabling Fast startup in Power settings and check if the issue resolves.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Also, refer the below links and try the Timeout Detection and Recovery suggestion provided in the thread which have resolved the issue for many users.

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

And try performing clean boot/Selective startup of the OS and check if you are still getting the error.

Please refer the below link to know how to perform clean boot.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

Also, there is a new driver released 20.2.2 with lot of black screen issues fixed, could you please try clean installing it and check the status.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-2

If the issue remains same, please try the GPU on a different computer and check the status.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

```

If you don't see the "TDRDelay" DWORD option, just create it.

I'll be giving the rig a good marathon of hours on my Friday night "end of the work week me time" and I don't want to SysAdmin for a few hours. I just want to game...

I'll report back with my findings after making the tweaks mentioned above. I'm hopeful at least half my issues are resolved.

UPDATE #2: The TDR fix above seems to be working so far for the black screen crashing. Games that were producing the crash before are so far... not. Going to continue testing of course. Another user further in the thread was figuring out the flickering and I think they stumbled upon the fix in some mannerism that inspired me to try my fix. "paulchenp" has been trying different monitors with different refresh rates. I've forced my refresh rate down to 120 Hz from 144 Hz, keeping at 1440p for now. So far the flickering has been reduced. Still testing...

0 Kudos
frenziedmuffin
Adept I

Well I’ve been living the black screen crashing life for a long time. I have a reference VII direct from AMDs store. Same issues as OP. If I run with a single monitor no problems. I was an early adopter and been dealing with the problem. I’m going to try the minimum voltage tweak, but when I was OCing about a year ago I still would get the crashes. Back then I thought it was just a unstable OC. I knew something was wrong though when running the card at stock and still getting these wonderful artifacts and black screen.

Now that said not many people in this thread have pointed out that crash dumps (BSOD's) sometimes are generating in Windows. When you get a black screen don't hard reboot. I'm curious if others are seeing failures like these. It's obvious they are video driver failures. All these crash dump times are my normal times that I would be in a game. I don't have much free time to play games anymore but here are my crashes form the last month:

On Thu 3/5/2020 9:45:21 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030520-9859-01.dmp
uptime: 00:28:21
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x0000000000000003) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF9782CA3D8010, 0xFFFFF8054E300818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. 
Google query: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Wed 2/26/2020 7:07:26 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022620-9375-01.dmp
uptime: 23:38:41
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrBugcheckOnTimeout+0xFE) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFBC04535E7050, 0xFFFFF8026E150818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. 
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 2/23/2020 7:27:29 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022320-12468-01.dmp
uptime: 3 days, 01:25:03
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrBugcheckOnTimeout+0xFE) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFBF883E9E9050, 0xFFFFF80123F20818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 2/15/2020 11:37:23 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021520-13875-01.dmp
uptime: 1 day, 17:05:41
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF978DC4995010, 0xFFFFF80638110818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)

On Tue 2/11/2020 6:50:17 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021120-9109-01.dmp
uptime: 03:37:58
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x0000000000000003) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFCA8200BEE010, 0xFFFFF80060C90818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. 
Google query: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Please someone from AMD tell me you don't have a driver problem here. 

Edit: LOL to add salt in the wound. While I was typing this up my system crashed to a black screen after I did a minimum overvolt to 1000. My system was able to recover multiple times without a crash on Catalyst 20.2.2. Event Viewer lists this warning in my system log:

Event 4101, Display
Display Driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered

After recovering twice it full on crashed just sitting at my desktop. It's like my PC wants to give me more evidence. It seems like this overvolt to 1000 is causing my system to be more unstable so I'm going to revert that change... Look a brand new crash dump.

On Wed 3/11/2020 7:48:05 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031120-9812-01.dmp
uptime: 00:34:53
This was probably caused by the following module: authenticamd.sys (authenticamd) 
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFF800F6143F028, 0xB4002800, 0xC0135)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA). 
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: authenticamd.sys . 
Google query: authenticamd.sys WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Edit 2:
I went back to a single monitor while still running the 1000mV (minimum) to 1128mV (my cards stock maximum) at 1440p 165hz and the system has been stable as a rock the last hour. That overvolt seems to do nothing for me, but I wanted to see if I can induce a single monitor system crash. Just for everyone elses info my card was running 737mv at stock idle according to adrenaline.

0 Kudos
keyser
Adept I

Are there any AMD reps who read here? I have not seen any official reply

about all of this?

Insane that people have to do AMDs work for em on forums... When you buy

their premium 700$+ cards....

Den tors 12 mars 2020 10:02frenziedmuffin <amd-external@jiveon.com> skrev:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor. in

Graphics

0 Kudos
paulchenp
Adept I

Regarding the system hangs I can also hook in again. I've switched from my main 160hz monitor to a Samsung CRG9 with 120hz - opening a whole new set of problems on which I could open a completely new thread... (in combination with a 1080p 60hz 2nd screen)

The flickering went away because of the lower refresh rate, even though the real world bandwidth pushed through the display port cable is higher (5120x1440 120hz).
But i can still confirm the random freezes with the Bugcheck code: 0x116. Most of the times the dump is not generated, and when it is, the only information I see in BlueScreenView are:
0x116, an empty Bug Check String, two random hex addresses, followed by 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3 and useless additional data (everything 0). But I remember seeingVIDEO_TDR_ERROR once in the history, which only leads to the video driver as a reason, according to some google searches.

The crashes are happening with Freesync on and off! When browsing/idle or gaming - but all they have in common is the completely random occurence.

I don't even know if I could sell the radeon vii in this state without declaring it as a defective unit and lying the buyer in their face - when having to upgrade to the next line of new cards instantly after release because of this miserable card-driver-situation ! This would result in a raw value loss from 600€ not to 400€ but maybe to half that amount!

But supporting the anti-consumer-friendly competition also seems wrong for me...

katsury
Adept I

So I've had success in solving my "black screen crash", so far, with a registry tweak and a reboot. I followed this guide:

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166 

If you don't have the TDR key, create it in the directory they mention. Mine was missing entirely.

0 Kudos
baskura
Adept II

Well, I installed the latest driver 20.3.1 and my Radeon VII is pretty much unusable. I've gone from flickering to black screens of death and I've had enough. I'm usually pretty loyal to AMD and I think the hardware is good, but the software and drivers are beyond a joke at this point.

I've ordered a Gigabyte Aorus/Nvidia 2070 Super which is coming tommorrow and hopefully it's the end of this nightmare. The Radoen VII will be going back in its box and staying there and eventually the 2070S will go in my stream PC to replace the RX580 once the latest gen cards are launched and widely available.

Never thought I would go back Nvidia, but I need stability and am sick to the back teeth of these issues.

Good luck in getting the problems sorted everyone and thanks for all the help. I'm out.

0 Kudos
vinnybags
Journeyman III

With regard to the issue with the Flickering screen.. I think I may have found a workaround for at least some users. 
This may actually help diagnose the issue as well. 
Hardware 1700x on an x370 ddr3264 @ 38.25 multiplier - 3900mhz 
32gb flare-x  102fsb
Radeon VII
few SSD's - Win 10 Pro Ver 1909 18363.720
Acer XR342CK (DP1.4-DP1.4)
Dell 2405FPW (DP - RGB)

I had previously noticed that when I used a DP - dp1.4 cable and a 90 degree adapter (brings the compatibility to dp1.2) and while using any other monitor I did have some, but not many issues. There were other reasons 1.2 capability was not good.
HDMI 2.0 - 2.0 did NOT solve the issue for me. I still had black screen issues. 
after searching for a cable that was dp1.4 and was able to make the connection turn where needed, I finally had a true dp1.4 connection that was both recognized by the monitor and the video card. The display link connection in the radeon settings indicate 5.4Gbps x 4. With this setting, I had very visual screen issues. Not necessarily a black screen, but it looked like the signal was lost for a split second, then relocked. On occasion, the flickering did lead to a black screen and I suspected this was going on previously but the dp1.2 signal handled the weaker signal better.
In any case, I had then chosen to set the color depth of the connected 3440x1440 75hz freesync Acer monitor to 12bpc - 12bit color, AND adjusted the voltage swing and PreEmphasis at 2. I have now had Zero black screens and Zero flickering. I did work my way to these settings and it was the only configuration that COMPLETELY solved the flickering/black screen issues.

I hope this has been helpful and hope this makes a difference in the driver teams knowledge base.

0 Kudos