cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

nickatron
Adept II

Re: Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

Issues persist for me on 20.2.2. Same flickering at idle and crash when using a web browser. Relive crash persists as well. I'm hoping the first of AMDs panic drivers simply focused the 5000 series and they wont just abandon this card entirely.

Back to the Q1 drivers which at least removed the flicker...

0 Likes
hunterxiv
Adept I

With the latests 20.2.2 something drivers, I'm now experiencing this black screen total shut down during games.  They fixed all these issues awhile ago, but they came back, and have never gone away.  I guess I'll try and revert to older drivers, which is a pitty to be honest.  Getting really fed up with this AMD.

Edit:  Just downloaded the new software and the 20.2.2 drivers.  Thought I actually had them installed, but had to manually download them.  Gonna test these out, and hope they work out.  If not, then I'll just stay sad I guess.  Maybe one of these days AMD will get around to fixing these issues.  =(

Edit 2: I guess AMD is aware of these black screen and system hang issues.  Would do me some good to read everything haha.  Well, atleast they are aware, and can get a fix out eventually.

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

Just installed 20.2.2 trying to replicate situations where i would get flickering, so far so good. ive been testing for about 20 minutes. 

Will try some games tomorrow to see if anything else shows up. 

fingers crossed this driver will fix the flickering!

EDIT: Nevermind... issue persists. seems slightly lees persistent now but still present sigh...

0 Likes
robotalan
Adept I

I have the same issue where every now and then my screen will just go completely grey and then the full system locks up requiring a system restart via hard power button press. I'm the exact same as you, when I built my rig I loved it, great frame rates, glorious display and now it's just an absolute slog to use. Doing some web dev work today and my screen is just constantly flickering and flashing every minute or so while in Chrome making it impossible to work. 

I'm at the point where I'll be moving over to Nvidia and dumping this card into a second system. Great use of £400+.

0 Likes
ryannathans
Adept II

The black screens were fixed in the new driver that came out a few days ago. Try increasing your minimum voltage to 1000mV. Unfortunately you need to reapply the profile every boot otherwise it doesn't actually work. It does however fix the flicker for a number of people.

robotalan
Adept I

I'll give it a go tomorrow and have a play with my voltage etc and report back. Worth a go I guess.

0 Likes
hunterxiv
Adept I

So I've been doing a small amount of testing.  I uninstalled my current driver, which is 20.1.3, and downloaded an older driver which was 19.5.2.  The older driver (19.5.2), has had zero flickering issues, and I've experienced zero black screens or crashes while using that driver.  I played The Division 2 for 12 hours straight, and encountered zero system hangs, or black screens, or crashes.  While browsing the web, I never encountered a flicker.  The only issue with using the older driver, is I noticed in many other games besides The Division 2, that my FPS was actually consistently lower.  This was a huge bummer, because the older driver fixed my issue, but another FPS related issue popped up.  I decided to re-download the 20.1.3 driver, instead of the current 20.2.2 driver, and as soon as my computer finished installing it I immediately encountered flickering.  I restarted my PC, in hopes that that may fix said issue, but alas, it did not.  The flickering is still persistent with the 20.1.3 driver, AND the 20.2.2 driver.  The black screens have come back.  They seem to be completely random as to when they will happen.  I was playing The Division 2 today, for about 5 hours with no issues, and while sitting still, in the base of operations in the white house, my system completely froze and hung.  While frozen, I could still talk to my friend on discord.  I am unable to alt+f4, control+alt+delete, or alt tab out of any games, and my mouse ceases to work.  The only way to get anything back, is to hard press my computers power button, to force a restart.  I know AMD said they fixed several of the black screen issues, but they looked like they were for specific games, and not in general.  While browsing the web, ie, facebook, youtube, forum posts, my computer would lock up, and hang just like it did ingame.  I would also encounter black screens that were unable to be recovered from.  Again, the only way to do anything, was a hard restart by pressing the power button.  I'm really hoping a new driver will help alleviate these problems, because they never used to be a problem.  The flickering I have gotten used to, but when trying to play any competitive game, having a full system lock is extremely frustrating.

Edit: As far as changing voltages go, I don't personally feel comfortable messing with any of my hardware.  I know for some people it has helped raising or lowering the voltage, but that shouldn't be the solution.  You also have to redo your voltage settings every time you restart your pc, which again, shouldn't be necessary.  As far as AMD fixing black screens, as I said above, it seems like it's for specific games, and not in general.  If they had fixed the issues with black screens, then why am I, and many others still experiencing them during gameplay, and while browsing the web?

Edit 2: I'll post PC specs again, just for anyone who is curious.

GPU - Radeon VII
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM - 16 GIG 3200mhz CL 14

Motherboard - X470 Gaming Mobo
PSU - 850 WAT Bronze Rating
Fans / CPU Fan - Stock
Nothing is overclocked.

0 Likes
baskura
Adept II

I have also just tried 20.2.2 with a clean install of Windows. Flickering

in Discord, Firefox etc still persists.

WAKE UP AMD.

0 Likes
nickatron
Adept II

Have you tried the Radeo Pro 20.Q1.1 driver? That fixes the flickering and blackscreens for me.

I haven't tried the 19.5.2 driver but I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro driver is based on/is the same driver version.

0 Likes
baskura
Adept II

I did try the Radeon Pro 20.1.1 enterprise driver. It reduced the

flickering but did not cure the issue unfortunately.

0 Likes