cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

nickatron
Adept II

Re: Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

Perhaps it's related to high refresh rate. I have two monitors at 120hz and still get the flickering.

0 Likes
ryannathans
Adept II

Have you tried increasing your voltage? The cause of my flicker was too low voltages on the lower clocks. With 1000mv now at 800mhz and 1160mv at 1975mhz (watercooled) I have no more flicker. Previously it was at 800mv at 800mhz.

It's crazy how the stock voltages weren't high enough for me, it's definitely related to having a high Hz monitor though and possibly even related to using different connector technologies.

nickatron
Adept II

How recently did you do this? My experience with raising the min voltage was the flickering turned into black screening and sometimes windows restarts. To completely get rid of flickering I took my min voltage all the way up to 825 or something.

0 Likes
ryannathans
Adept II

I definitely had the black screens too! Except it wasn't caused by increasing the voltage, it was caused by the newer 2020 drivers. I downgraded my driver to 19.12.1 (latest stable driver) and THEN did the voltage adjustment.

The stock for my card is 694mv at 808mhz and 1149mv at 1801mhz according to wattman. This voltage is way too low on the low end. At 1000mv at 808mhz the flicker is gone. I can then undervolt and overclock the high end slightly. To 1969mhz and 1163mv. (The numbers I quoted previously were estimates as I wasn't home)

I'm also OC mem at 1200 and +20% power.

Oh and I have to apply my overclock profile EVERY TIME I TURN MY COMPUTER ON. Otherwise it doesn't work properly and the flicker returns or I crash in games.

cheffy
Adept I

It is 100% related to refresh rate. If you read through the thread you'll see that if affects people running 100+ hz monitors. If I lower refresh to 60 hz it goes away entirely.

0 Likes
cheffy
Adept I

Radeon software now seems to reset to stock tuning by default every time the computer is restarted. This is a another step backwards. I'm just flabbergasted with how out of touch AMD seems to be with their customers.

I've not noticed it is voltage related, but have noticed it is related to HBM clock speed. In older versions of radeon software without flickering the minimum clock speed for the HBMs was around 400-500 Mhz. In versions where it flickers for me, it dips down to ~150 Mhz. Unfortunately, another issue is that AMD has made it impossible to change low memory P state clock speeds.

gamedesigndude
Adept I

I am experiencing the same with 2 monitors connected.

Noticed I was at 20.1.3 and asked to install 20.2.1 after a major update to the 20.1.3

Here are my specs:

AMD Radeon VII:  
i7-4930k @ 3.40GHz

64.0 GB

64 bit OS

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1909

Installed 3/18/2019

OS build 18363.657

Stand by for confirmation...

0 Likes
gamedesigndude
Adept I

Mouse began to act funky after the update to 20.2.1 when trying to select Photoshop 2020. I will reboot.

0 Likes
gamedesigndude
Adept I

Update...

After updating to 20.2.1 Photoshop 2020 froze, ended task and rebooted.

Opened Photoshop and received a graphics card error message:

photoshop2020_error_msg.png

But looks like the flickering has stopped.

Stay tuned...

0 Likes
firstlaffer
Journeyman III

I have this issue and have to say feel betrayed by AMD.  I have championed and tried to support AMD at every opportunity over Intel or Nvidia, so I jumped onboard with a Radeon VII as soon as they were released in the UK just over a year ago.  Instantly had this monitor flicker issue, couldn't resolve so just removed the 2nd monitor.  I thought this issue would have been resolved in a YEAR, but no.  I re-attached my 2nd monitor yesterday and unbelieveably, the problem still exists.

AMD you need to resolve this and quickly, you have already had a year to do it, it should have been sorted within 3 months.  The underlying hardware is diverse enough for this to be linked directly to the Radeon VII.  Firstly, can you re-produce the issue?  If so, on every card you have tested or just a subset?  If the former its a driver or fundamental hardware issue, if the latter, this only affects cards that may have a manufacturing or component defect.  Either way, you need to sort this out for what are possibly, perhaps still currently your most loyal and devoted customers.

I have recently purchased an AMD Ryzen based system for HTPC use.  I was about to buy a high end AMD Ryzen system to replace my main PC.  However, seeing your total failure at resolving this issue for what you should consider to be your premium customers (lets face it, only a fanboy shells out the amount of money we all did on the Radeon VII) I think speaks volumes and anyone that is currently an AMD champion (or fanboy) should think again.

Come on AMD get this sorted, what you have done thus far (apparently nothing!) is totally unacceptable.  Do the right thing................

0 Likes