cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

colebob222
Adept I

Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

• Issue Description: With only my primary monitor running, no issues occur. With a second monitor running, I get intermittent issues that seem like flickering, artifacting, and tearing on only my primary monitor. These issues do no occur in 3D applications like games, but only in low-demand 2D applications such as chrome when nothing demanding is running, and the GPU is running at or around 25 MHz. Normal I'd associate issues like this with stability, but I have not done any overclocking, and it does not occur in games or when the GPU is under stress. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed in a future driver, but I'd like to know if this is a hardware issue so I can get an RMA going as soon as possible.
  • Hardware:
    • Graphics card: Radeon VII (purchased directly from AMD)
    • CPU: Ryzen R7 1700
    • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WI-FI) X470
    • RAM: 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200 MHz CL14
    • PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W G2
    • Monitor 1: Acer XG270HU 1440p 144 Hz freesync enabled
    • Monitor 2: HP 21KD 1080p 60 Hz
  • Software:
    • Windows 10 64 bit 
    • Latest graphics driver 19.2.2
    • Latest UEFI BIOS from AMD flashed
    • Latest motherboard BIOS version 1201
244 Replies

For me as well...
After updating (without any DDU this time) I returned to full refresh rate on the primary monitor and thought to be flicker free. But now I also saw the black lines you mentioned while having the browser open (hardware acceleration turned on since some days) - even though for me it more looks like a black bottom half of the screen or even a full black frame being displayed.

But I can confirm, it's WAY better, but not fully fixed!

ryannathans
Adept II

Now I just get the occasional large flicker/artifact...

nebaneba
Journeyman III

For me all problems have been resolved since the latest update. Most problems would occur when I had 2 or more GPU intensive tasks running at the same time or when I would release lots of VRAM etc

Now I can finally play at 240fps and render stuff in the background without getting a seizure. thanks

0 Likes
teslap100
Adept I

Purchased a Sapphire Radeon VII last Friday and I am getting flickering at random intervals and driver crashes (but recovers) on desktop while browsing Firefox, Excel, Word ... Strangely I have not had a single crash other than flickering while gaming, even with a undervolt and +150 on HBM. Other than that I have had one occurrence where after stepping away from my PC a bit upon waking up my monitor, the colors were inverted/purple hue, but this was fixed by switching my monitors off and on.

I am using the new 19.5.2 driver and a Startech (DP2DVID2) DP to DVI active adapter on my main monitor (Benq xl2411z - 144 hz) and the DP on my second monitor (xl2420t - 120 hz). I just want to know if this is indicative of a hardware failure or just a bug while I am still in my return window from Amazon... Overall my shot with AMD has not been a pleasant one so far...

shinkojiro
Miniboss

I haven't seen a single screen flicker/corruption/artifact since the update.

0 Likes
pschorr1123
Adept I

I have been having similar issues described as above ever since I upgraded my 2nd display from a 1080p TV to a 4k TCL Roku tv. with an Acer XF270HU for Primary display.

I have a Gigabyte Vega64 Liquid on Win 10 1903. I have had issues on all drivers since last summer. I am currently on 19.2.1.

I have used several different HDMI 2.0 cables to see if cable was bad and had to drop the refresh rate from 60 to 30 otherwise I get very bad artifacting @ 4k 60 during YOUTUBE playback etc. At 30 or 29 hz I get random black screens which is very annoying.

2700X on Asrock X370 Taichi

16GB Gskill F43600C16D GVK

Samsung 970 evo nvme OS drive

0 Likes
strikeur
Adept II

The problem is back againt with a Radon VII under Win10 1903.
Driver : Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.7.1 Optional

ryannathans
Adept II

This problem has reoccurred since updating to 19.7.1. I did not have this problem on 19.6.x.
Radeon VII on Win 10 1809

Monitors 144hz (1440p) + 60hz (1080p)

colebob222
Adept I

I just updated from 19.6.3 to 19.7.2, and I can confirm that the exact same issue is back.

All specs the same as my original post except running windows 10 1903.

petbb
Adept I

All issues are back on 19.7.1, 19.7.2 and 19.7.3 drivers. Also Freesync works only on one(random) connected display now. It worked fine on 19.6.3 with more than 1 displays at the same time.

I personally did not see a return of the flickering issue. Just... new issues such as the brightly colored green or purple screens.

With 19.7.4 now I still got the green screen once upon restarting my PC. But, Logging out (of windows to windows loggin screen) fixes it.

0 Likes
nylisto
Journeyman III

19.6.3 had the issue fixed. Navi gets released along with new drivers and the issue is back. Very annoying, especially considering we all had to wait months for the problem to be fixed in the first place... The wait continues. Maybe someone on amd's driver team will provide us with the fix in 3-4 months time if we are lucky.

thatnerdgui
Adept I

19.6.1 used to work fine for me. Since 19.7.X was released I got multiple issues. 

Flickering came back

Memory frequency gets stuck at 1 value (350Mhz from . 7.1-.7.3 and 1000MHz on .7.4)

Second screen has a green rain when screen turns back on (after sleep for example)

Grey 2nd screen on boot

Fans stuck at full speed after reaching 100%

Driver crashes 

All these issues are still present (or getting new ones) and somehow customer support still ask me to try their latest drivers to 'fix' my issues. They're freaking useless... 

0 Likes
hunterxiv
Adept I

Well, it's definitely been awhile since I've checked in on these forums.  Driver 19.5.2 fixed my issues by about 99%.  I still had minor instances, but I adapted to them and they became hardly noticeable.  Was playing Diablo 3 today and twice my monitor went black and restarted itself.  I had changed nothing, and the previous night gaming wise, I had zero issues.  I decided to update my graphics drivers because it had been some time.  Currently on update 19.7.5 and unfortunately, I have to report that the screen flickering is back.  Updating my drivers didn't pose any noticeable issues.  My computer restarted perfectly find, and everything worked.  As soon as my computer booted up, and I went back to browsing online, I noticed that dreadfull black flicker that happens momentarily.  As I type this, it's constantly happening.  Hopefully AMD gets this 100% sorted out, it's been a few months now since it was seriously reported.  I really have nothing bad to say against AMD, as their products have always worked for me and given me 100% satisfaction.  But this flickering is driving me utterly insane.

0 Likes
zoart
Adept I

Just to say that it is not limited to Vega or RADEON VII cards. I have a RX 580 card and it flickers as well. I tried a RX 580 dual OC asus and a RX 580 pulse sapphire. Both exhibited the same problem. I get flickering artifacts, even blinking, which is flickering it black or even green. It is also very random.

Even with the latest driver 19.8.1. It seems to flicker my screen when it is idle, browsing, but I mostly see it when I'm watching twitch. It is driving me insane because I am trying to find a fix but so far I have not seen a fix as of yet.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, this issue persists for me. It was never fixed in my case. Made better or worse depending on the driver. I've pretty much given up on this being resolved. The last driver without issue for my Vega 64 was 18.12.1.1. Going forward, I might try a 5700 XT. As a last resort I might go Nvidia at this point. I just want to browse the web and use Steam without flickering and artifacts again!!!

0 Likes

This issue is really bothersome and it kind of makes me angry. I've tried 2 different 580 GPUs, they cause artifacting and black screen flicker. I tried formatting, reinstalling drivers, bought a new psu a new PSU, but the problem persists.ALso tried 3 different DP cables.

0 Likes

Yeah, it's infuriating. I've tried formatting, two different DP cables, HDMI 2.0, nothing changes. I don't know what they changed in the drivers, but the 19.x series has been nothing but a mess for me. You said you have trouble watching Twitch. For me, it stops immediately when any video is playing and gaming is perfect. If I go to Twitter or any other site with a lot of static images, also Steam, it's a disco on my screen. But only sometimes. Funny thing is my wife has a RX580, dual screens, zero issues.

0 Likes

Yea, except it's hard to recreate my issue. It's very random, like it can be fine for hours and then it flickers, some times in a row. But it always happens on the desktop. But yea for me it is when I'm watching a stream or couple of them, I can somewhat speed it up if I open a couple of twitch streams at once and do whatever I need to on the side. But I haven't seen it in games as of yet.

Like I said, it happens pretty randomly, I doubt it's a hardware issue seeing that I replaced my gpu already with another brand, from asus to sapphire.

0 Likes

Yeah, it's definitely not hardware. It's pretty random for me too. I can read news and Twitter most of the evening sometimes with little or no problem. Then I'll open Chrome or Firefox back up to check something quick, and BAM, artifacting like hell. Sometimes the nonsense begins as soon as I start using the PC. I don't know if it's because my screens have different refresh rates? Mine are 240/60hz. My wife's screens are both 144hz. I have no interest in buying another Alienware AW2518HF just to test it.

0 Likes

Hm, well I only have 1 monitor. So that couldn't be it on my end. Though I haven't seen it happen as soon as I start the pc up

0 Likes
vallaton
Journeyman III

similar problems here. new vega 56 pulse in a new zen 2 computer with new and updated windows 10. if i have just my 144hz screen connected (through displayport), everything is fine. but if i add my old 60hz monitor (through hdmi), the main monitor starts to get randomly flickering, mostly black horizontal lines or other artifacts. they won't stay there, they just flash in and are gone. this happens on desktop or browsing web.

tried installing the older drivers (after ddu:ing the newer) but it didn't do anything. switching to 120hz didn't help either, nor did any settings in the radeon software.

i was planning on getting a nice wide gamut 60hz monitor to do color critical work on while having the 144hz as my gaming screen. now i'm super frustrated at this issue and don't want to spend money just to run into this again.

the secondary monitor is really old (hyundai l90d+), but i don't get why the problems show up on the main monitor. is there an answer on if this issue is with gpu/display drivers or windows or what?

That's the exact problem I've been having. I'd say it's definitely a driver issue. The last driver without this problem for me was 18.12.1.1. Every release of 19.x has had this artifacting/flickering to some degree. I only see it when web browsing and using Steam. Basically any web page or application that has a lot of static images. But only sometimes. Video playback and gaming work perfectly.

0 Likes

Did you go back to 18.x and did it solve the issue (and would it cause other issues)? The oldest driver I could find from AMD's own driver support was 19.3.2.
Also, is the monitor that's giving you trouble a new one or ancient like mine?

This thing stresses me out to the point that I don't use the secondary monitor anymore. I'd get a new one but it doesn't seem like it's worth it if the problem persists.

0 Likes

Going back to 18.12.1.1 gets rid of all the weird artifacting and other glitches. Google Adrenalin 18.12.1.1 and it will bring up places to download it. I've chosen to stick with 19.8.1 because it's the least glitchy/most tolerable of the 19.x drivers for me and offers better/smoother performance in the main games I play. Those games being Grim Dawn and most of the Total War series.

My main monitor is a 240hz Alienware 2518HF and the secondary is a 7 year old 60hz HP 2511x. I think the issue with dual screens may be something to do with mixing screens of different refresh rates, I don't know.  Everything is fine with a single screen, but I use the secondary a lot so I just tolerate it.

petbb
Adept I

I have exact same issues on Ubuntu 19.04. In act of desperation I switched to 19.10 testing branch and everything is fine now - stable and no distortions. Unfortunately Windows 10 on 19.8.1 driver with multiple monitors is impossible to use. I have two Radeons VII and both have same issue.

0 Likes
keyser
Adept I

Did this every get an official fix? 

I bought a Vega 56 Red Dragon and now i have the same problem with 2 screens as all in this thread, did not happen with only 1 display connected. (my acer display)

Display 1; Samsung S23C650 (60hz) DP

Display 2; Acer GN246HL (60hz) HDMI (this is a 144hz display but not with HDMI)

So this have been a known problem for more than 6 months and its still not fixed? wow AMD, this is 2019, dual monitors have been a thing for a while now... 

Driver 19.9.1
Windows 10 PRO 1803

Asus rog x470 strix f gaming (there was a new bios out on Monday, i have the BIOS before this one)

It was "fixed" and removed from the known issues list a few months ago. It was never actually fixed in my case and the problem has returned for others in subsequent driver releases. I'm about to throw in the towel. I've had a 2070 Super in one of my online shopping carts for awhile now. One of these days I'm going to get angry enough and buy it. I've been trying to hold out for the next major driver release from AMD at the end of the year, but I've had it with this crap.

This is not good, anyone from AMD who can make a comment? ^_^ 

0 Likes
robotalan
Adept I

Definitely still an issue on my Vega 64. It happens pretty much every day on the 19.9.2 driver and AMD need to add it back onto their issues list. The strange thing I've noticed is that if I hit the shortcut to record the flickering/artifacts stop, which suggests sending an action to the card is having an effect. It's terrible and I shouldn't be having to consistently manually intervene to fix an issue on a £400 card, get it sorted AMD.

keyser
Adept I

Now it happent again, always when im away for more than a few hours this happens.

Totally agree, i payed lots of money for this card, first this and my new Ryzen 3700x have weird voltage/boost issues. AMD fail ^_^ 

0 Likes
ahumanbean
Adept I

Hey,

I created an account just for this issue. I cannot for the life of me get stable drivers for my Radeon VII. I can run my 290x Lightning all day long without a single issue but as soon as I use the VII I get flickers and screen blackouts. 

I was running two monitors, one is a BenQ 1080P on display port running at 144 hz and the other is an old Acer running at 60hz. I can run games 24/7 with no issue but running Chrome and Mozilla results in driver failure. I have to use Windows CTRL Shift B to recover the drivers and then reboot to get everything back to functional. I've tried every driver since launch I believe. I'm back on on the 290x Lightning unfortunately.

Below are my basic specs.

AMD 3900X, Radeon VII, ROG STRIX X570-F, G.Skill 32 GB RAM, EVGA 1000 P2. 

I just sent my VII for Warranty, have you all had any luck with Warranty on this issue?

0 Likes

Try driver version 19.5.2. So far that has been the most stable of all the releases. Everything after that AMD goofed up. To find it check the drivers page, there's a "previous drivers" hyperlink that should display a list with 19.5.2 in there.

Thanks, I got the VII back yesterday after a month and as far as I can tell they did nothing. Or at minimum they didn't include any logs at all. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and find out. But I requested another RMA since it's doing the exact same things it did before. I switched over to 19.5.2 for now to see if that works, thanks

0 Likes
ccrkunk88
Journeyman III

Any updates, I just get this card two weeks ago and I am regretting it big time. I switched back to my rx480 8gb and all of my issues were gone.

With the R7 I get a lot of artifacts during gaming and even using Davinci Resolve.

0 Likes
cheffy
Adept I

November 2019. Originally entered this thread back in spring. Still having this problem with my Vega 56 and dual monitor setup. Goes away when the second monitor is turned on. Some drivers are better than pothers, but the most recent 19.9.2 are awful. I have to go back to driver from over the year ago to ensure there is no flickering. What a mess AMD.

So it's November 2019 now, and I still have this problem.  I know another radeon VII owner who had to buy a second GPU to connect his second monitor.  This is a prosumer card, and second monitors are common.

As others have said, the primary monitor flickers and glitches with artifacts.  The second monitor is fine.  Turning the second monitor off fixes it.  It's only with both connected.

You guys REALLY need to fix this.  I'm current on Radeon Driver v19.11.1 on Windows Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362.  This has happened with every other version I've ever had, that I can remember.  Updates don't fix it.  It's not even on the known issues list. 

It needs to be!

0 Likes

Well, I found a solution. It's not the one I wanted, but all is well now. I bought a 2070 Super. Works perfectly. I put up with this flickering nonsense for just about a year. The final straw came with the past couple driver releases causing black screens. Both monitors just randomly go black. Sorry AMD, my cup runneth over. Everything was great before Adrenalin 2019. Adios.

0 Likes

No luck for me ever fixing this issue either, MSI physically broke the card this time. The LED's no longer function and the card is far more unstable and scratched. I went out and bought a 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra to solve my problem. Good luck folks!

0 Likes
ahumanbean
Adept I

My VII is back for Warranty and has been for a while for the 2nd time. I guess if it comes back broken again I'll move to Nvidia for now. This is a real pain to keep spending money in order to get a working card. A little less then $30 each trip to ship it with insurance. I had zero luck with 19.5.2 or any of the others unfortunately. But hey...my 290x Lightning is a champ.

0 Likes