cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kushnyc
Journeyman III

Radeon VII fans max out in egpu when host suspends or powers down

Why do Radeon VII fans max out when in egpu and Thunderbolt 3 connected host computer suspends or powers down?  

I have an AMD Radeon VII purchased directly from AMD.  It's installed in a Razer Core X.  I've attempted connecting it to two different MacBook Pro laptops (macOS 10.14.5) with both active and passive Thunderbolt 3 cables - as well as to an ASUS GM501 Windows 10 laptop.  The Radeon VII is recognized and operates mostly as expected across all three systems.

However, when any of the systems are suspended or shutdown, the Radeon VII fans spin at max (very audible) and the Radeon VII logo remains illuminated.  Unplugging the Thunderbolt 3 cable from either end stops the fans spinning.  This is not at all ideal.

Also, I've tested this egpu enclosure with a friend's Sapphire Vega 56 and it does not exhibit this problem. 

2 Replies
adamprice
Journeyman III

Based on all the various tests done over at egpu.io, this is very clearly an AMD RVII firmware issue. I've submitted a complaint to the AMD help desk as well. The internet is littered with this issue and they seem to have dug their head in the sand. This is the only apple supported AMD card that exhibits this behavior.

0 Likes

Hello,

Have you got some news about this issue ?

The problem is still here in the bigSur beta 2...

Thanks

0 Likes