cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

klokholm
Journeyman III

Radeon VII error code 43 in device manager

Just received a Radeon VII as a gift, the card has had nothing but issues since installing.  Try to run Division 2 or Overwatch the games will run for about 30 secs to a minute then black screen.  After black screen the system will sometimes hard lock and reboot followed by a hang during system startup.  Upon logging back into windows the GPU will show an error code 43 in device manager.  Sometimes it can be cleared by clean rebooting other times it will stay in this error state.  I have tried numerous drivers starting with 19.3.3 and progressing backward to 19.2.2 .  The only way to get the GPU to perform at all in Division 2 was to undervolt/cap fps/apply manual fan curve, best it managed was about 3 hours of gaming.  Even then it was a rare occurrence as card is back to insta crashing in games.  Also after a game crashes if I try to open wattman or even catalyst control center system will black screen followed by hard lock.  I have opened a trouble ticket with AMD and essentially they are dragging their feet on RMA request.  I tried to call them today to get a status update, got a technician and he literally ran the clock with me on hold till 5 then hung up (call placed at 4:40PM did not get tech on phone till 4:50).  I am all ears to any ideas or perhaps something stupidly simple I am overlooking. 

Other info

MOBO Gigabyte aorus gaming 7 wifi

CPU Ryzen 2700x

RAM Gskill trident z 3466

PSU Corsair HX1000 platinum rated

LG 34 inch ultrawide 144hz display

Windows 10 1809

0 Likes
4 Replies

From Microsoft Support on what Code 43 means:

0 Likes

" I have tried numerous drivers starting with 19.3.3 and progressing backward to 19.2.2."  Uninstalling and reinstalling driver does not improve the situation, it clears the error code but the card consistently behaves the same way as articulated in my post.  Leading right back to system instability and more error code 43s.  I truly believe I have faulty card, practically begging AMD for an RMA.

0 Likes

I was having some issues with my Radeon vii doing black screen freeze ups and such too,couldnt play any games, pretty nothing helped be it drivers or fresh installs etc, what ended up getting it working in games for me was the new bios update amd released for some reason. it also fixed 99% of my black screen no signal issues too. 

0 Likes

Thank you for the input Ben, I was going to try that but verified with GPUZ that the card already has the V106 bios.  I do not know if its worth the risk to re-flash the same bios or just keep hoping that AMD will give me an RMA.  AMD Tech support emailed me this morning wanting me to swap the card into another system to test, which I am willing to do.  I am fairly confident however that the result will be the same.

The battle continues

Thanks again Ben

0 Likes