cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ioan
Adept I

Radeon VII disappointment if possible send a message Lisa Su

I waited a very long time and saved up money for a good video card, and when Vega 7 appeared, I thought it was time because it wasn’t updated for 6 years, the last video card was Radeon 7970. But there wasn’t enough money, I had to take a loan for $ 250 for 1.5 years.
Now I feel cheated when a few months later the Radeon 5700 XT was released and it turned out to be only 3-5 percent higher in performance with Vega 7 and lower at a price of $ 250, and then in some games Radeon Vega 7 is weaker. If I were warned that a similar performance and a quieter video card would come out for gamers in the near future, I would not have to pay a loan.

And also this video card was generally discontinued !!! which is completely surprising. This is a good practice in relation to customers from AMD, although I am a clear fan of this company.

0 Likes
9 Replies

The Radeon VII still is fully supported as per AMD Download page: AMD Radeon™ VII Drivers & Support | AMD 

Sorry that you ended up needing to get a loan to purchase a GPU card. But that was a decision you made.  You either should have waited or done better research before spending so much money on a GPU Card.

Seems like the Radeon 7 is a more powerful and better GPU card than the RX5700XT.  The Radeon 7 has 16 gbytes HBM vRAM while the 5700XT has 8 gbytes of GDDR6 vRAM.

This website compares the two GPU cards: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-5700-vs-AMD-Radeon-VII/4046vs4035 

Here are the AMD Spec on both cards:

World's First 7nm Gaming GPU | Radeon™ 7 Graphics Card | AMD 

Radeon™ RX 5700 XT Graphics | AMD 

khun_doug
Elite

If you have specific games that are not operating properly, or trouble getting the display so it operates properly, then please post that information. There are plenty of people on this forum with Radeon VII experience that will step in to help.

As for AMD dropping the Radeon VII, I would wait until you read that specifically from AMD. Just today I read a post where people claimed Lisa Su was leaving AMD. She responded that the claim is false. So just because you read some forums that claim AMD is dropping a product does not make it so. I remember when Windows 7 was released and Windows Updates was set to operate automatically. There were people posting fear all over forums that this Microsoft's way of spying on you. In reality, it was trying to keep you safe from the ever evolving pool of malware that can infect a PC by automatically installing patches and driver updates. That didn't stop the rumor mill.

AMD did discontinue making/selling them(Radeon VII)but they will be supported for quite some time.

To the OP, Navi was on the radar for quite awhile,So that is why you do research before you buy,however,if we all waited for the next big thing,we would never buy anything,If your purchase is doing what you bought it for,then that's all that matters.

I almost bought a Vega 56 in January,but opted for the RX580,it does what I need and has been great,I would have been in the same position as you had I bought the Vega 56.but I know buying anything PC related,anything can and will happen.

nordisk
Adept I

Dude come on , how poor you are ?

This tread only tells me that you are the one how try to cheat , you cry arround to the ceo that you bougth a cards and few months ago they bring a better card as annonced ?

Next step for you is to ask for money back of your Radeon 7970 because they bring a better card .

and come on a 250$ loan for 1.5 years ? 13 fu**ing bucks a month . again how poor are you . 

i got an idea for you , it will change your life  , go out and get a job 

than you dont cry again about things like this .

Thanks and god bless hard working not crying people like us.

0 Likes

I would add that VII was said to be a limited release from the very beginning too even before release. With all the issues of Vega before VII and all the information on Navi being close in ability going back well over a year. Enough data definitely was there to make an educated decision.

Hey I bought an RX 580 for over 400 bucks at the height of the mining boom. It cost nearly double what it had 6 months earlier. Not a year later way faster cards were available, not from team red at that point but yes better choices. 

Buyers remorse is always there when you pay high and the next better thing comes along.

You make the best choice you can when you buy. I always say as long as it still does what it did the day I bought it, it must be worth it, because it was then. If it wasn't you should have returned it while you could. 

I know it is tougher when money is tight. Some don't show much empathy in this regard. 

I understand all this simply when they say that this is the top one wants to be the top for at least a year and then he stayed in the top for only 3 months and all the media said that 5700 will not be a top-end video card, but in fact, 5700 tests even outperforms Radeon 7 despite its memory performance and capabilities.
If you say it correctly, it is especially difficult to perceive when there is little money and the presence of 4 children does not often allow you to upgrade. That is why I always chose AMD because they have very long driver support. I hope to finish Vega 7 and its performance will be even higher.

0 Likes

ioan wrote:

I understand all this simply when they say that this is the top one wants to be the top for at least a year and then he stayed in the top for only 3 months and all the media said that 5700 will not be a top-end video card, but in fact, 5700 tests even outperforms Radeon 7 despite its memory performance and capabilities.
If you say it correctly, it is especially difficult to perceive when there is little money and the presence of 4 children does not often allow you to upgrade. That is why I always chose AMD because they have very long driver support. I hope to finish Vega 7 and its performance will be even higher.

Keeping 4 kids equipped with a laptop each will set you back a bundle down the road.

The R3 2200G with Vega 7 graphics should be supported for several years.

0 Likes

I see your point to a degree but it seems like you would have only been happy if navi had been slower? Your card is still generally faster. Yes a few synthetic benchmarks may show one way or the other. Remember a lot of benchmark data on those graphs are not even tested at the same time with the same drivers when they review the current cards. Honestly a can appreciate you wanting to stay top end AMD but at that price point that was not even the fastest card when you bought for he money you spent. So that didn't bother you then either. Chalk it up to bad luck or timing and try to do better next time. 

I think the issue is, what do you mean by "faster"?  In gaming, the cards are similar with an overall edge going to the Radeon VII over the 5700 XT.  What's more, the Radeon VII has quite a bit of overclocking headroom as well.  The cards don't seem to be very well tuned, probably due to the slapdash manner of their rapid release.

For example, my Radeon VII defaults to 1113mv on the highest p-state to run the 1800 MHz boost clock.  I can actually raise that boost clock all the way to 2025 MHz with even touching the voltage.  AMD simply ramped up the stock voltages to make sure all the cards would hit 1800 MHz, but the voltage is overkill.  So you can either, ramp up the clocks, or scale the voltage back until you have all you need to run 1800 MHz.  The former will widen the gap with the 5700 XT, which doesn't seem to have nearly the overclocking headroom.  The latter will help your temps and give you quieter performance.

Sans gaming, the Radeon VII is vastly superior on the compute side of things, and worlds better than any consumer GPU in scientific applications due to the crazy FP64 rate.

So for the extra money you get a GPU that is slightly faster in games, much better in computational work, and vastly better in scientific applications. 

So in summary, the Radeon VII is still the gaming king, and you can likely push it a bit more since they seem to be overvolted out of the gate. 

Snap1.png