cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pauven
Adept II

Radeon VII crashes Win10 when 3x 4K displays attached

I picked up a Sapphire AMD Radeon VII today to replace my Radeon Fury.  I have 3 LG 4K displays attached to my PC via Display Port, and all three have been working fine with the Fury for months.  I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1809 build 17763.253. 

My PC is a Ryzen Threadripper 2950X, running stock, on an ASRock X399 Professional MB, with 64GB of RAM @ 2933.  It runs incredibly stable.  Well, at least it did, until I installed the Radeon VII today.

The first lockup was during the initial drivers install (downloaded the special VII drivers), but after the blue-screen crash I rebooted and re-installed the drivers.  I then rebooted again, and within a minute of logging in, the mouse froze, and another blue-screen crash appeared.  I took a photo and the error message was "Stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE, What failed: atikmpag.sys".

So I booted into Win10 safe mode, uninstalled the video card, rebooted in normal mode, ran the driver install but selected to remove the 19.1.1 Adrenalin drivers, then re-installed the VII special drivers.

It seemed like it was running okay, so I went into 3D Mark, and it crashed again before the first benchmark, this time the blue-screen error was "Stop code: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER".

I rebooted again, and again got another blue-screen (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE) as soon as I started moving around on the desktop and trying to open the Windows Start Menu.  I tried again and again, and the same thing happened each time.  I started to notice that the cursor would get slow and jumpy/stutter, then freeze, and then 30-60 seconds later the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE comes up.

I then booted with only 1 monitor attached, and everything worked perfectly.  I was even able to run 3D Mark and get some really nice scores.  After nearly an hour of uptime, I plugged in my other 2 monitors for a total of 3 monitors, and within 30 seconds the cursor had frozen, and then the blue-screen.

So I booted with just 2 monitors attached, and everything works fine.  I then unplugged one and plugged in the other, wondering if it was a bad Display Port, and 2 monitors work fine regardless of which combo of Display Ports they are attached to.

But as soon as I plug in a 3rd 4K monitor (all Display Port), the system blue-screens within 30 seconds, always with the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE  error message.

The monitors are running 3840x2160, 59.9996Hz, 10-bit.

Hopefully this is just a driver issue and not a hardware issue.  What do I need to do next?

Paul

0 Likes
1 Solution

This issue is now resolved in 19.4.1., appreciate your patience while this was being investigated. 

View solution in original post

29 Replies