Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rajadog20
Adept I

Radeon VII Consistent Black Screens/Driver Crash

Hello,

I have been having consistent black screens/driver crashes with my Radeon VII. Consistent as in once every 4 hours or so while gaming. It seems to be most often within the first hour or so of gaming a day and less often after that. 

I never see any issues when running benchmarks or stress tests, even if I run them for hours. Games I play that seem to cause black screens are COD MW and Elder Scrolls online, each causing a black screen within 1 hour of playing. This happens both on windows 10 (up to date) and Arch Linux (amdgpu). 

On windows, i'll get a black screen, no sound and after about 30 seconds, the driver will recover but will be "throttled" to under 1000Mhz. Windows event viewer shows the following

"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Keywords

0x80000000000000

If I am playing COD MW, it throws the following error

DEV ERROR 6068 : DIRECT X encountererd an unrecoverable error

While on linux, I will get a black screen with no input and a sound loop that does not recover. 

Drivers on both OS are up to date. BIOS on the GPU is 016.004.000.038.011717

CPU is AMD 2700x

32gb ram @2400

850w PSU

All voltages/clocks are stock.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks 

8 Replies
rajadog20
Adept I

Just had a crash today and attached the dump file.

Looks like WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)

Is there any support I can get from AMD on this?

thanks 

0 Likes
rajadog20
Adept I

I noticed this is consistent crashing in VR, at least once an hour, sometimes within the first 5 minutes. I might try unplugging my VR headset while not using it, perhaps there is an issue with my monitors and refresh rates. I have a 144hz 1440p monitor, another 4k monitor in portrait, and a VR headset hooked up at all times. 

0 Likes
dunamic
Journeyman III

Hey, I'm having the exact same issue, CoD MW crashes my PC all the time (no more than 30 mins gameplay) and Destiny 2 does it sometimes (every ~ 4 hours). I'm running Radeon VII + Ryzen 3800X

I've run full CPU and GPU stress tests for 30mins+ and absolutely no problem at all, it only happens in games

I tried narrowing down everything to see what the issue was: reset the BIOS, took out everything except for the PSU/GPU/CPU/RAM, disabled onboard sound, reinstalled windows, changed hard drives, uninstalled/reinstalled chipset and graphics drivers and the issue was still happening, so I think it must be related to the GPU and or the drivers. Not sure if you seen this https://community.amd.com/thread/246886  but seems kind of a common problem

By the way, I changed MW to use DirectX 11 instead of 12 and so far it hasn't crashed yet so it might work for you. To do that on battle.net go options->game settings, tick additional cmd line arguments and type -d3d11

0 Likes
soulbreak
Journeyman III

The driver also crashes, the black screen and the system goes into reboot when watching YouTube, in the game CoDMW. The problem began after the new year. Reinstalling win10 did not help. All stress tests pass normally, Doom eternal passed without any problems.
When watching youtube guaranteed to sooner or later send the system to a blue screen or hang tight. Chromium-based google browsers, Microsoft Edge. Removing extensions does not help. Moreover, the problem is clearly in the AMD software, because if you have time to press ctrl-alt-del when a black screen appears, then there will be no blue screen. The system will display a selection of actions and when you return, you can see how it restarts AMD software. True, the driver still does not work correctly in the end and you have to reboot the system.

0 Likes
rajadog20
Adept I

What is going to be done with all these issues? I can't play half life alyx for more than 30 minutes without PC crash. We need to find a solution for this or need instructions on replacements or returns for these cards. 

This is a $700 graphics card, being unable to play games in unacceptable, where do we get an engineer to look at the logs and recommend a return or fix?

0 Likes
rajadog20
Adept I

Put it in an entirely different PC and exactly the same issue. support told me to RMA it. I have a feeling this is a driver issue and RMA will not help. Is there anyone who is more helpful who could give us an update on this? 

Is there an engineer I could talk to? I would gladly spend my time gathering whatever information would be helpful for engineering to research this issue

0 Likes
soulbreak
Journeyman III

this is clearly AMD's software problem, quite a few radeon VII owners complain. as I did not try and did not find a solution. Neither raising the voltage or driver settings helps. And the problem appeared after recent updates, before it wasn’t. Moreover, it manifests itself too specifically, only in certain applications.

0 Likes
rajadog20
Adept I

My thoughts exactly. How do we actually talk to AMD. If they're not going to bother fixing it and my RMA doesn't resolve it, I will have to get a refund. I don't mind waiting for a fix but if they're just ignoring it, I'll need my money back

0 Likes