cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Hernfernrj
Adept I

Radeon RX6800 crashes, flickering, low fps, poor performance.

I recently installed my new GPU RX 6800. upon installation I have not experienced any performance improvement. The performance has been really bad. To be Specific, I was running a 2070 Super and for example in COD I was pulling around 180fps in multiplayer and 150 in warzone (other games were about the same) After upgrading I follow the procedures, made sure BIOS was updated, cleaned the old drivers from NVIDIA using a clean up tool I also re installed adrenaline, twice, and no luck performed is now even worse I can only get around 80fps and on medium settings not even high settings. has anyone experienced this before? Is it maybe a faulty card and I can get a replacement from my warranty sine I received it 2 days ago. 

My current set up

NZXT Med Case

Ryzen 9 3900x (prizm cooler)

Aourus X570 pro Wifi mobo

NEW GPU: Radeon RX 6800 reference card (OLD EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ult 8gb)

26gb of ram

1Tb SSD

PSU: 650W Gold

0 Likes
25 Replies
Hernfernrj
Adept I

I have already submitted a request to AMD but was wondering if anyone had the same problem or if there are any fixes. or just a faulty card :(

0 Likes

Yes there are numerous other threads on this topic already if you search.

Random game issues may be the driver maturity. 

The stability issues may be power related. Most that seem to be complaining of this have the bare minimum 650 watt power supplies. Which based on prior experience AMD often doesn't set its minimums high enough. Many reviews on these cards reported power spikes that reset the power supplies. 

I will go ahead and change the power supply today see if this helps, thank you!

0 Likes

im having the same issues . im running r5 2600 but only a 600w PSU. i have the normal rx6800

0 Likes
BloodlettinG
Adept I

I recommend upgrade your psu, minimum recommended psu should be at 750 watts. Yes I have problems with rx6800xt performance, fps drops, visual problems like random flickering lines (constant on games) but no issue crashing games and shutting down system. My psu is corsair gold 750 watts.

0 Likes

yup I have the same issues. Only one time the game crashed and I was golden running at 180fps consistent perfect pic and then system shut down. 

0 Likes

@BloodlettinG wrote:

I recommend upgrade your psu, minimum recommended psu should be at 750 watts. Yes I have problems with rx6800xt performance, fps drops, visual problems like random flickering lines (constant on games) but no issue crashing games and shutting down system. My psu is corsair gold 750 watts.

FYI for a lot of AIB versions of 6800xt 750 isn't enough either. The Saphire top card for instance calls for 800 watt power supply at a minimum. 

Personally Saphire usually makes the best AMD cards. I tend to go a little over there highest cards suggestion and never have power related issues. 

0 Likes

Well, what is it. As a rule, a drop in the number of frames per second or a drop in the chip frequency indicates several problems.
1) increasing the temperature on the video card processor.
2) a problem in the power circuit of the video card itself.

0 Likes

FYI I am aware on that we are all basing what AMD said on their launching day on their rx6800 series. Please read what I wrote... Ofcourse it also depends on the manufacturer of the card if they put extras on their card. I am generalizing the minimum psu required to run rx6800xt. If what sapphire said their card should be at 800 then follow that manufacturer requirements, otherwise follow what amd does... 

0 Likes
DaRkOne
Journeyman III

Yeah you definitely need more power 650w is kinda low, I have a ryzen 5 2600 and nvidia rtx 2060 running on a 750w power supply, which I have extra power for an upgrade. I would recommend getting a new power supply.

0 Likes
Nekela
Adept III

I’m baffled at your ram that you have listed.... how do you manage to have 26gb of ram?

0 Likes

Lol I meant to type 16

0 Likes

Lol ok. I was trying to figure out what in the wish was going on here

0 Likes

No worries, I guess just to. Update the post, I ended buying a 750W PSU just to make sure it would work better and still no improvement in performance, game runs crappy and stuttery my next steps would be to adjust the Adv file in the MW folder to see if adjusting the render scale and video memory help at all. I am also in contact with AMD for further troubleshoot 

0 Likes

4.jpg

10.jpg

Is this also happening to your rx6800xt? It flickers like crazy disco ball with lines hahaha.

@Hernfernrj wrote:

No worries, I guess just to. Update the post, I ended buying a 750W PSU just to make sure it would work better and still no improvement in performance, game runs crappy and stuttery my next steps would be to adjust the Adv file in the MW folder to see if adjusting the render scale and video memory help at all. I am also in contact with AMD for further troubleshoot 

0 Likes

@BloodlettinG wrote:

4.jpg

10.jpg

Is this also happening to your rx6800xt? It flickers like crazy disco ball with lines hahaha.

@Hernfernrj wrote:

AMD has a tendency IMHO of rating their required power supplies TOO LOW. In your case you upgraded to the bare minimum.

Not saying that is causing your issues. But hard to say as many reviewers were having these cards voltage spike reseting the protection on their power supplies and they were above spec. 

If you can return that one you bought I would highly suggest at least a good 80 plus gold 850w, not the bare minimum. 

Of course this assumes you have the reference card. Some of the AIB cards have a requirement of 850 so going a bit higher like a 1000w. 

0 Likes

I have an almost identical build and experiencing the same symptoms:

Maingear Vybe

R9 3900XT

RX6800

64GB Vengence pro 3600 ddr4

Gamemax 850w Gold

X570 PLUS wifi+bt

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

I haven't noticed power being a problem but I just upgraded and made the switch to AMD from a 970 and it basically feels like I haven't even upgraded. Super frustrating. If anybody figures out what's going on please share the knowledge. I've spent the past week troubleshooting. I know this card is supposed to be better. Hopefully mature drivers/software will improve performance :(

0 Likes

Had a 3600 non X version, 16 gigs ram, and a 2060 non super.  I upgraded to a 5800x with 32 gigs with a rx 6800 xt and feels like I got no performance improvements at all, should be able to run games like SnowRunner at 4k ultra 60fps but that isn't the case I had to scale down to 1080p on high to keep fps at 60 yet it still dips into the 50s.  Flight Sim 2020 runs about the same as the 2060 dipping down into the 20s to 30s fps on low settings to the point its not even playable especially when in the cockpit of a boeing 747.

At least my rocket league is 120 fps solid!!!!!  :smileyfrustrated:

Have a lg nanocell 85 tv and it hates frame rates below 60 even with freesync on, really don't want to throw anymore money by getting a better tv / monitor just because of people hyping up this card...  extremely frustrated dropping 2 grand on a system just because of all the hype to not see any increase in performance!

0 Likes
amdmann
Journeyman III

Hi, I have exactly the same setup as yours!

I'm only get 45 fps :smileysad:

Were you able to figure out the problem?

0 Likes
dafo13
Journeyman III

I just recently built my all AMD build.
Ryzen 5 3600 and the new RX 6800 reference model.

16gb 3200mhz Ram

Coolermaster 650w SFX PSU 80+

I’m getting very poor performance in games such as GTA V and Call of Dury Warzone. Literally getting lower FPS numbers than my older 5700xt.

GTA I’m only getting 60-100 FPS on 1440p and Warzone similar to that. This definitely cannot be right as benchmarks with the same cpu and gpu combo are showing much much higher FPS counts.

Any suggestions? A bit confused to where to go from here. Maybe driver issues ??

0 Likes

I have the 6900xt and found out that if my VR headset is connected then fps drops in all non vr games.
Also if vr headset is connected and i play a non vr game the computer shut off after 5-10-30 minutes or so.
my suggestion if any of you have a vr headset connected or more than one screen try to disconnect vr and the extra screen and see if that help.
ALso in the windows 10 go into power settins and select standard power plan.
And in the amd software go in and select a profile such as esport or gaming that will also speed up the graphics card.
And ofcourse check your computers temperature of your cpu.. if above 90c then you have a heating issue and that will slow down the computer since the cpu will lower the voltage to protect your hardware from damange. So check your fans are spinning and the temperature. ;-)

oh and buy a larger power supply 850w or maybe even better a 1000w  anything higher and the prices will go up quite fast.
it does not matter a power supply is to big, it only uses the power it have to use. :)

pro tip..: NEVER use power cables from another power supply in your computer.. All old power cables need to be removed when you install a new power supply.

0 Likes

Quick update : FIXED (somewhat)

After using DDU and reinstalling the drivers my FPS is up 30-40 frames in Warzone. HOWEVER GTA V FPS remains the same sitting at 70-100.

Also note this was a clean build I had no previous graphic drivers.

IMPORTANT

I reinstalled the “optional” drivers as opposed to the “recommended”.

This has fixed my issue for Warzone but not GTA.

0 Likes
manito28
Journeyman III

How many MHZ is your RAM ?

It is simple gentlemen, do not kill your head. If you have a 2666 hz ram memory you will not get the most out of the graphics in this game as it is poorly optimized. In my case the average FPS with 24 GB of ram at 2666 was 100. When I changed this for a 16 GB at 3200 MHZ incredibly that average at 120, Which led me to the conclusion that with a ram memory of 32 GB at 3600 MHZ, this card would be used to its full potential in this poorly optimized game, and with a 16 GB at 3600 you will see the difference.

That is the real bottleneck
0 Likes

If you are running 24 GB of memory (3 8gb dimms) you are not using dual channel and that is why the there is such a large difference when you switch down to 2 8gb dimms. 

0 Likes

i got a msi rx 6800 gaming x trio im having the same problem i got a tx750m PSU but i did everything i could even flashed my bios to the last  fresh install windows removed drivers like 10 time in safe mode i noticed my power consumption never go above 90w in some game and in some other games its spikes to 150w max for 1 sec then drop below 100w i even maxed out the watts by 15% no change at all. Any game i play my MHZ never go above 1500-1600 mhz my temps never passed 58 degres since if anyone know the problem let me know

Ryzen 2700

Corsair Veng 3200mhz OC i Tried on lower Freq  Nothing change 

Aorus b450 pro wifi

tx750m Corsair

NVME + SSD

0 Likes