Radeon RX 7900XTX Call of Duty Caldera FPS drop / stuttering

PC spec : CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
GPU: AMD RX 7900-XTX
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB
RAM: Kingston KF560C36-16 2x16GB
MBD: Asus PRIME X670E-PRO WIFI
DISPLAY: Philips 27M1F5500P/00 1440p 240Hz Nano IPS

Hi everyone. I play 3 games right now: Call of duty MW2 + Warzone 2.0, Battlefield 2042 and Call of Duty MW1 Warzone Caldera. The problem only exists in Caldera. The game stuttering and FPS drops from 230 to 130 every 5 seconds. The more action on the screen the worse it gets. It's a newly built PC with no tweaks although I tried to undervolt/overclock and numerous solutions found on internet but it didn't fix the problem. I also used every single 3D mark stress test and I had no issues or crashes. It seems like it's purely In game or driver Issue. 

Here's link with the short videos.

https://youtu.be/VOs_qBmyEVw

https://youtu.be/I2Ehq2Zw4a8

https://youtu.be/zQwlDgXlc4M

I'm quite disappointed at this point as after over 20 years being loyal to Intel and Nvidia I decided to go against all odds and trust AMD. As soon as I built my new rig I discovered that it's not going to be straight forward plug and play, at least not for all applications. I understand that I'm quite lucky as neither my CPU or GPU overheats but I wish it just worked with all games.

Could anyone with RX7900XTX test Caldera and share his performance please. Alternatively maybe one of you know the workaround for me so I can join my friends and play the game. 

Big thank you in advance.

1 Solution

I've tried all thar plus more. It's an AMD driver issue. They admitted it in a post somewhere I read recently in one of their patch notes. I'll post it later. 

View solution in original post

43 Replies
BdizzTX
Adept I

Yooo exact same thing with me, it goes from 260 down to like 130 and stutters. Caldera is tge only game it happens in too. I have xfx 7900 xtx speedster, 32 gb fury beast 6000mhz ram, ryzen 7700x, asus rog strix b650e, asus rog strix 360 aio, wd black sn850x 2tb nvme, 27 inch 240hz 1440p monitor. I've tried everything, nothing fixes it and warzone 2 sucks. 

BdizzTX
Adept I

Please post if you find a solution, I'll do the same. 

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Same. Im not sure how bad the OP's issue is, but so far, I am thrilled with the max fps in this title. My card runs cool and quiet. But, the drop to the lower that is kinda meh. I can get the same, or even above max fps with this card over my other (old ladies) 4090, its the lows that are a bit,..... underwhelming. The card shows, that it can do it, and AMD has ALWAYS beaten nvida in this title (hell, my old 6950xt is knocking on the 4090 again, in COD) I am really hoping the lows/averages get better with driver updates or something. I dont have bad stuttering (some but it isnt game breaking at all) but, the low drops are a bit eye opening for sure imho. 

7950x/7900xtx ref card-ddr5 6000-strix 670e-e-seasonic tx1000

0 Likes

We are talking about only Caldera specifically. Warzone 2 and every other game runs fine. 

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Also, just to mention. I dont play caldera any more, but the new wz map and MP, for me, is about like your vids. Holds/Has high fps, and can tank like no other here and there. Im hoping some driver updates help. 

0 Likes
7900XTX
Journeyman III

I just upgraded my CPU, GPU, and PSU. Still gaming on 1080p for the time being, a new monitor is the next step. I've locked my frames in-game at 160 since I have a 144hz monitor (hoping this would eliminate huge spikes and decreases in FPS).

No issues on previous NVIDIA 1070. No issues after upgrading the CPU and power supply. As soon as I took out the 1070 card and put in the 7900XTX (reference card), started noticing stutters in-game. They look pretty similar to the YT videos you posted. I've also been searching for answers as I still prefer Caldera/WZ1 over 2.0. All benchmark tests look good and no thermal issues so far.

Have you tried messing with your "adv_options.ini" file yet? Located in C:\Users\%profile%\Documents\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\players. My CPU has 8 cores, so I've been told the "RendererWorkerCount" can be anywhere between the same number of cores & half the cores. If I delete the file and re-launch the game, it automatically sets the "RendererWorkerCount" to 7 and the "VideoMemoryScale" to 0.9. I've been messing around with this some based on other YT recommendations. My CPU has 8 cores and setting the RendererWorkerCount to 4 vs. 8 seems to have helped it some but I'm not sure if it's a placebo because I still notice some stuttering... maybe focusing on the VideoMemoryScale more would help (I've seen this set anywhere from 1.0 to .85 to .55 in videos). Curious, what is yours set to? Changing these values and then relaunching the game have any effect?

The 7900XTX appears to be using around ~8.5GB/24GB VRAM. I have not tried any overclocking on it yet (set to default tuning). I am on the "eSports" Global Graphics profile (enables Anti-Lag & image sharpening). I'm on the latest driver 23.1.1.

0 Likes

I've tried all thar plus more. It's an AMD driver issue. They admitted it in a post somewhere I read recently in one of their patch notes. I'll post it later. 

Bummer. Mine runs great. MP or Warzone. Runs like a top. Cool, fast as hell, .. I have my own custom tune for cod, but, if your on default, i cant see what would be causing your issues. Mine is fantastic, and im buying another one. 

0 Likes

Your 7900 xtx runs perfectly fine on Caldera?

0 Likes

As i wrote above, i dont play caldera on this system. But warzone 2 plays fine, besides the monster dips here and there. But, it plays great. 

0 Likes

That's what this entire thread is about. Warzone 2 and every other hame run perfect on mine and the OPs PCs. The only game tgat doesn't work and has major fps drops is Caldera. 

Hello everyone !

New drivers arrived and the same problems , jumping from 200 to 110 fps , stuttering in some games.

As a reminder the highest temp that I could record in 90c on the memmory junction not on the gpu hot spot .

The gpu hot spot has a maximum of 84c and the gpu 64.

I tried without xmp , I even upgraded the ram to 3800 cl 15 .

The cpu has a maxim temp of 60c Intel 11900k with nvme 3g and 4g .... same !

7900 xtx Sapphrie , ref card .

This is the most expensive failed experience I had .

Please if you have a solution to this drop it here .

Thank you .

0 Likes

I've been having FPS drops like crazy in other games such as Phasmophobia & GTA V too. I had an NVIDIA card before I upgrade (2070 Super) and it ran better than my 7900 XTX LMFAO

0 Likes

Hope they fix it soon, just bought an 7900 xtx and have constant stuttering and super fast fps drops in Caldera, ut even crashes. All my other games works perfect, just warzone caldera

0 Likes
Alficul
Adept I

Hello everyone  , the same , loyal to nvidia and intel , I sold my 3080 a month ago and bought a 7900xtx and like you said , stuttering , chaos in the fps menu . I play on 1440p , I am running on i9 11900k, AORUS ELITE AX Z590 with 3600Mhz/ CL15 Ram , asus strix plat psu 1Kw ,nvme 3 or 4 gen , I tried moving the game on different storage .Reinstall the OS , I tried with win 11 , even bought a license for that windows , returned back to win 10 ,latest drivers including bios . it's a mess.

I tried undervolt , underclock , editing reg keys.

Regarding warzone 2 you can only enable  weapon motion blur it will help , you can disable world blur and other stuff but leave that one on .

Amd you better have a fix within a month for this , or I am selling this  videocard and going back to qualaty .

BTW this gpu is going in 600W in hwinfo , managed to dodge the overheating issue.... so , I will be great with a 4090.

0 Likes

Forgot to add , Display Alienware AW2723DF , 240Hz  IPS Freesync Premium Pro.

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

For me, after the 23.2.1 update, my OC on my cpu (7950x) was doing all the hitching, and stuttering. I went back to OEM/Out of the box settings, and all my issues, with this game, went away.  (I should have responded to this, forgive me)

My FPS is now up/or same. No hitching, stuttering, nothing. Seems my negative offset on the cpu, and undervolt (while it ran on cinebench, furmark and such) just was NOT happy on this game.  For me, my rig and gaming experience is super good.  Super good.  Im a bit over any type of OCing, or the like anymore. It seems like the gear, out of the box, is tuned at the top tier, and , tuned to run everything OK, and while some dicking around, can net SOME increase of performance (none ill actually see just gaming and looking at my bank account or p0rn or what have you) , I am just going to let my gear run. This was my issue, and your issue may vary. 

Alficul
Adept I

Even with this new update it is the same .

I am running the card on intel 11900k without any OC , only the ram has xmp 1.0 at 3600 , even without the xmp it is the same .I had hwinfo to run to check the power consumption , maybe the 850 asus rog strix psu does not handle the performance . I discoverd that the Total Board Power sometimes it goes up to 620W so I upgradred to 1000W Corsair psu . Nope, still the same so I put my card for sale at 75% of the price  after 2 months .

The stuttering only happens in some games but it is a clear difference compare with my old card RTX 3080 Vision OC .It is impossible to play Caldera , Rainbow six siege(vulkan textures) and Warzone on this card but mw2 multiplayer, BF2042  and FH5 runs perfectly .

Thank you for you answer .

0 Likes
Ghostshells
Adept I

Went from a EVGA 3080 Ti to a 7900XTX ASROCK TAICHI

Getting crashed completely when game starts, before was playable for a few mins now it’s instant. Black/White whole screens.

I immediately regretted switching to AMD , fresh windows install DDU that windows **bleep** I disabled with registry disabled xmp tried drivers installs only like 10 times cleaned drivers then reinstalled literally spent a whole day trying to get this GARBAGE to work.

reinstalled my 3080ti, no issues at all.

Was excited about the 7900 XTX Performance, was literal dog**bleep** same as my 3080ti (sometimes 30/50more frames) but was around 140-160fps my 3080 is 130-150.

1200$ for a piece of JUNK.

5950x

Gskill 3200

2tb nvme samsung, Crosshair viii motherboard 

I do have a 850w gold power supply, checked wattage it seemed to hold fine full wattage + on stress test no issues 100% usage.

Did I just get a bad card? Have it set to be returned don’t think I’d want a replacement to be honest performance was horrible + unplayable

0 Likes

I instantly regretted switching from Intel to AMD, and I installed new Windows. I really spent an entire day trying to get this GARBAGE to work. I disabled with registry disabled xmp attempted drivers installs only about 10 times cleaned drivers then reinstalled.

0 Likes
Ghostshells
Adept I

Did one of you moderator morons remove my post because I was saying how **bleep**ty ur card is? Yeah never buying a **bleep**ing amd product ever again.

0 Likes

Jesus. You ok boss? Not sure what your issue is, but my amd ref card, dunks on my 4090 build. IN THIS title/game. Sooooo no sure what you have going on. But just take a breathe dude. The world wont spin off its axis, one way or the other. 

(Its a known fact, that in this title/game, that the amd cards perform better. Like, hands down better. Not sure what issue you had, because even saying "3080" type response is silly as a 6800xt will **bleep** up and down on that IN THIS title. sooooooooooo.  You have something going on. That said, ya, go else where and buy the other. You are bring ZERO to the table, but bitching and moaning. Cheers. 

0 Likes
Burtlongtime
Adept II

Man I cannot even play mw2 warzine 2.0 or mw or caldera at all without it crashing due to DirectX errors 

0 Likes

Is some of your hardware overclocked? What type of PSU do you use? What brand is your card from?

Warzone 2 works great for me 200fps+ 1440p ultra settings, and no lag.

I have 7900 xtx reference card.

0 Likes

No issues with warzone 2, only with warzone Caldera, even multiplayer works fine.

0 Likes

I had the same problems with my card , the seller did not refund me because in there tests everything went good but you can't ignore the stuttering and everything with this card.

I tried everything windows 10 and 11 with license , some tools in order for the card to be always in performance mode , 2 different connection to the psu , changed the psu from asus rog strix 850 gold to 1000w corsair , temps ok , gpu junction maximum 88c and gpu 65c ,nothing .

After 2 months of  troubleshooting and more then 10 times reinstall the os because of faulty drivers and settings I sold my card and bought from the green side .

Config

intel i9 11900k 

HyperX 3600MHz 32

3 x SSD M2 Nvme Gen4 1xSamsung and 2xXPG (I tried installing on different storage)

PSU 1000W Corsair Gold

Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX

Alienware Display Freesync Premium Pro 27" 240Hz

Sapphire 7900 XTX

Have a good one !

0 Likes
abysal
Adept I

Something is not acting correctly on my end either with MW2 (running maxed @ 1440p, no FSR). I get a lot of big 50+ frame dips, dropping to around 80 fps from 140. I have the game set to 140 fps MAX, my monitor is at 144 Hz (Dell G3223D). Free sync premium enabled.

I used to be locked at a solid 144 FPS. I think it might be the 23.5.2 drivers that are causing this issue, as it just recently started happening. I'll report back if I figure it out.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7600X  - Phanteks PH-TC14PE Cooler

RAM: Corsair CMK32GX5M2B5600C36 32GB XMP 6000 MHz/MTs

GPU: XFX 7900XTX v23.5.2

Main Board: MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI (MS-7D70) - BIOS v174

Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2TB - Crucial P3 4TB - addlink s70 2TB - SP A80 1TB - Seagate Exos 10TB Raid1 - Samsung 870 EVO 4TB SSD

Netwrok: Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT ConnectX-3 10GbE

Audio: On board ALC4080 Realtek USB Audio

PSU:  Corsair HX1200i

Case: Corsair 5000d Aitflow (3 intake 120s, 1 exhaust)

0 Likes

And, im on the same driver, now and see no change.......also at 1440p.  Odd. 

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Ill bet its not the amd drivers/side,.. i think its the game. Just me. 

0 Likes
Alficul
Adept I

Hello,

I tried for 3 months , there is no way you can have the game working properly .

I have an alienware monitor with freesync premium pro and it was full of stuttering .

I sold my card and I am running on nvidia .For mw , warzone and siege the xtx 7900 was very bad , from 500 fps to 130 fps.

If you could return it , you should .

For other games that I played was great except shooters .

Check my other comments and troubleshoot steps .

0 Likes

Again, i dont play caldera, (Ops title) not to mention its going away, and soon. But for me, @1440P , on Al Mazrah, Vondel, and such, its been great. Holds my monitor resolution and hz,  and at med/high settings the entire map. Zero stutters, zero issues. Game runs great in Warzone and MP. 

And 500  fps, jn warzone? Any of them????  You are full of **bleep**. ,..... are you playing at 720, half your resolution ? lol....  Because that, is complete bull**bleep**. No one gets 500 fps on warzone, playing a half decent resolution and settings. No one. Not at the start, or now. No one. 

0 Likes

yeah , great with the beep and all of those stuff , I was referring to siege r6 .

Pro reply , you can find treatment at any store for your condition , enjoy

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Christ,

Here is around 3 weeks ago. 1440p, med to high (on settings that matter, off or low on those that dont)

Game runs flawless, and i peg my monitor, basically the entire map. I could net another 50 or so fps, if i wanted, and have. But, with the monitors i have (240) there is no need, and i bump the qual up and find a happy medium.  Not sure what the hell you guys are doing wrong, but, wow...... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7bYP0PvOc&t=128s

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

And ,.. 2 weeks ago....or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAJoYissI70&t=9s

0 Likes
boogey890
Adept I

this is still not fixed after all these months ...

bought amd to give the middle finger to nvidia and the 2 games where i need the high fps to match the refresh rate run like absolute garbage

you would think amd would work closely with the developper to fix these issues

caldera is a stutter mess

warzone 2 i get sometimes 90 fps and changing graphics doesnt seem to help at all

7600x

saphire 7900xtx

asus b650e-e strix

im so disappointed

0 Likes
momoske
Journeyman III

Have been on intel + nvidia for almost a decade as well and decided to give AMD a chance after seeing so many positive reviews for the price to performance ratio. I'm seriously disappointed to say the least, because I'm having the EXACT SAME issue on Black Ops: Cold War.

My game runs perfectly fine for ONE match, then after the next match, it starts micro-stuttering every 5 seconds precisely as well, from a constant 120fps (the framerate I play at) to around 80 to 90. This is absolutely unacceptable. I've tried everything: disabling vsync, lowering rendering/textures, enabling anti-lag, disabling smart access memory... NOTHING helped.

You can clearly see on this short clip that this isn't a bottleneck. It's exactly every 5 seconds as if somehow the VRAM was full and tried to keep emptying itself out at a constant pace or something like that. I'm running a Ryzen 9 7900 and 32GB of DDR5 as well so the bottleneck argument falls out the window.
https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxy4G6A_vE8Obfy956NUE_J5xXBlNV6pov

If anyone finds any possible viable solution, please post it here, because AMD is seriously screwing us here. That's ridiculous. The kind of framedrops I'm facing in my video clip is abysmal to say the least.

what motherboard are you using ?

0 Likes
erendukes1
Journeyman III

are you getting a 0xc0000022 error while startup

0 Likes
boogey890
Adept I

downgraded from a 7900xtx to a 6700xt the problem still persists but its less severe

0 Likes