Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

JCDenton
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 6800 issue - ray tracing not working properly

Hello guys,

I have an issue with my ASRock RX 6800 16G. DXR/ray tracing doesn't seem to work properly, as I'm experiencing various issues when trying to run RT-capable games. I tested with multiple games and driver versions (from oldest to newest) and here are the results:

Battlefield V

When I enable DX12 and ray tracing, I'm not getting ANY reflections (e.g. puddles of water are just plain white, with no reflections in them)

Control

Enabling ray traced reflections crashes the game. I can enable all other RT effects and it seems to work, but the second I enable RT reflections, I get a crash to desktop.

Quake 2 RTX

It seems to work (latest Vulkan render), but it crashes randomly (usually when I fire a shotgun at an enemy who stands in front of a light source).

Ghostrunner

Seems to be working fine - RT shadows and reflections are OK.

3DMark Port Royale

Seems to be working with no issues with the latest drivers (with earlier driver versions, there was shadow and lighting flickering).

Metro Exodus

Enabling RT sometimes crashes the game, but most of the time it doesn't seem to do anything (it even seems that it lessens the lighting and shadows). Even running benchmark at EXTREME settings and ULTRA ray tracing runs over 100 fps (which is not possible, as RX 6800 doesn't even remotely have enough horsepower for this). Again, the image seems to be missing shadows and looks flat and overly bright.

My specs:

Aorus X570 Elite

Ryzen 5900x

32GB RAM (HyperX Predator, 2933)

Samsung 970 EVO

ASRock RX 6800 16G

Latest Windows 10 version, no overclocks or undervolts, temps are under control (up to 75 degrees for both GPU and CPU), disabled SAM in BIOS.

I tried AMD Driver Cleanup and testing with all available driver versions, but it doesn't seem to resolve the issue. Should I suspect that the graphics card is defective?

Please assist.

Thank you

1 Solution

UPDATE:

It seems that reinstalling most of these games resolved the issues:

Control

Now works correctly with all RT effects enabled and with expected performance.

Metro Exodus

Still occasional crash here and there (mostly on map change), but RT now works correctly.

Unfortunately, Quake 2 RTX still crashes on the same place. I tried skipping the level with the issue and, for a few minutes, it seems that it worked, as I managed to continue playing next two levels just fine. Unfortunately, crashes returned, now at almost complete random. So I gave up on this game for now (I completed it back in 1998. on my 3dfx Voodoo2 anyway xD )

Battlefield V still doesn't work properly for some reason (white puddles with no reflections).

Also, Call Of Duty Modern Warfare - I can enable RT shadows, but this crashes the game at random intervals (sometimes right away, sometimes after an hour of gameplay). Truth be told, though, AMD did say in drivers' release notes that this might happen.

Additionally, all games that don't use RT work just fine - from Cyberpunk, to Forza Horizon.

In conclusion, I think it's not the card (hardware), but rather the same ol' story with AMD (and ATi in the past) - unstable drivers at launch. Please, AMD, it's the 10th of January 2021. and it's time for a new drivers. :)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
AMD718
Adept II

I may be seeing something similar with my Red Devil 6900 XT. I have mild performance tuning enabled in wattman which is, from what I can tell, 100% stable across many titles and benchmarks, plus many hours of gaming, but 100% will crash in Quake 2 RTX within minutes. The message in event viewer is "Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered.". I discovered that Quake 2 RTX would not crash if I disabled the performance tuning. Fortunately, Adrenaline drivers allow me to keep the global performance tuning active and just disable it via profile for Quake 2 RTX only. Port Royal is 100% stable with the performance tuning in place. So, what is it about Quake 2 RTX that crashes when performance tuning is active? Minecraft RTX is fine btw. No issues there. Very strange. Performance tuning is 2650 Mhz, 1110mV (slight underclock), fast RAM timing, 2150 Mhz, power +15%.

0 Likes

UPDATE:

It seems that reinstalling most of these games resolved the issues:

Control

Now works correctly with all RT effects enabled and with expected performance.

Metro Exodus

Still occasional crash here and there (mostly on map change), but RT now works correctly.

Unfortunately, Quake 2 RTX still crashes on the same place. I tried skipping the level with the issue and, for a few minutes, it seems that it worked, as I managed to continue playing next two levels just fine. Unfortunately, crashes returned, now at almost complete random. So I gave up on this game for now (I completed it back in 1998. on my 3dfx Voodoo2 anyway xD )

Battlefield V still doesn't work properly for some reason (white puddles with no reflections).

Also, Call Of Duty Modern Warfare - I can enable RT shadows, but this crashes the game at random intervals (sometimes right away, sometimes after an hour of gameplay). Truth be told, though, AMD did say in drivers' release notes that this might happen.

Additionally, all games that don't use RT work just fine - from Cyberpunk, to Forza Horizon.

In conclusion, I think it's not the card (hardware), but rather the same ol' story with AMD (and ATi in the past) - unstable drivers at launch. Please, AMD, it's the 10th of January 2021. and it's time for a new drivers. :)

0 Likes