cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Zogue
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 6700 XT High Temps Spiking

Hi, I've recently got a new GPU and I've probably had it for a month now and while temperatures have been pretty high around 78 - 85c peak when in use.

Normally on idle temps are around 42 - 45c.

I'm now getting higher junctions and even temps at 90c, this is immediately alarming as this means the GPU isn't dissipating heat properly, keep in mind my RX 6700 is an MSI Mech.

This leads me to believe either perhaps something may be faulty in my GPU, or heatsink/pipe or thermal paste/thermal pad inside had a mistake during manufacturing. 

Without wanting to void warranty etc, I have not tampered with it. And it is running on default. Nothing is overclocked.

I have not undervolted the GPU, as it could cause instability, and I believe is a bad recommendation. As it is NOT a solution.
If I'm undervolting a new GPU, and still getting worrying temps, to the point where I can feel the heat.
I may as well refund and find another GPU.

I've never had this trouble before. So I'm not sure what's going on, which leads me to think it's either a software issue with the GPU going funny, or an actual flaw during manufacturing.

Does anyone have any statistics on the RX 6700's with temp readings. Is this really normal? This can't be.

My CPU is water cooled, I have plenty of space for fans to exhaust the heat away.

I've noticed rising temps, even with games that should not be GPU heavy, I'm not even tempted anymore to stress test in fear of reaching 110c and causing damage.

It's WINTER. It's cold, and my PC is heating me up, as funny and amusing as this is. I don't like the idea of a GPU heater.

Is there anyone who has had this issue before, or someone from AMD that can share insight or reasons as to why this is?

0 Likes
5 Replies
macxd
Adept II

90c on the junction temp when gaming is nothing to be concerned about, if you want to try and cool it down more set a custom file profile so the fans spin faster, also you give no spec's on your pc, what is your fan config? how good of airflow does you case have. 

0 Likes

Hey macxd, fan config is fine, this was tested even before new GPU, they're not set on low RPM or silent/quiet, they are set to ramp up and are set to a higher rpm than their default settings.

Also thank you for reminding me of the custom profile. This was a good idea.
Actually discovered very recently, that my adrenaline software kept resetting to default, and not saving anything. Had maybe 2 errors come up. Went online for troubleshooting.

Came back with answers reinstalled adrenaline software. Solved that issue.
Better yet it saves my profiles and my custom fan settings. At the moment pretty good. Happy about it.

I'm also starting to think that just by default these graphic card's run hot.
Just like JohnSonandria was saying.

Hoping that it was just the software.
Waiting to see what happens at the moment.

Leaving this here for the time being. 

My PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU
Asus ROG Strix X570 Gaming - E Motherboard
MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT Mech 2X 12G GPU
Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix CPU Cooler
Radiator placed up top.
6x Corsair LL120 fans 1x 140mm as exhaust, 3 120x at front grill, 2 120x on bottom. Case sits high enough with legs to have access to airflow like this.
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb RAM
Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum PSU
Corsair 680X Crystal Airflow ATX

0 Likes
JohnSonandrla
Journeyman III

My Powercolor RX 6700 XT runs at about a steady 101C. I was panicking at first when I was hitting 90C and I started under volting and turning the fan up to 100% until I just said **bleep** IT. Run warzone on Ultra with the fan at 70% and no under volting and it goes from 90 - 101C but it does not throttle. A bit loud, but it looks like these cards just run hot.

vialli100
Forerunner

I have 2 x 140mm intake front of case and 1 x 140mm at rear with 2 x 120mm on AIO at the top..

My case is Fractal Define R6..

My RX 6700 XT  35c and Junc is 37c at idle.. It doesn't get much above 65 - 75c in stress testing or gaming..

But the Asus card has an excellent cooler..

What case and fans do you have?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Here are my PC specs.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU
Asus ROG Strix X570 Gaming - E Motherboard
MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT Mech 2X 12G GPU
Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix CPU Cooler
Radiator placed up top
6x Corsair LL120 fans
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb RAM
Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum PSU
Corsair 680X Crystal Airflow ATX

0 Likes